TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did it not throw codes with the failed glow plugs? My DMax had one die and only way I knew was the code. Replaced all on that side of the engine while there, but I've read that the DMax isn't really sensitive to NC type cold temps.

In hindsight, yes. My tuner prevents the check engine light from ever coming on though (it seems) so it wasn't a constant reminder.

I thought that the cold weather starting issue was a powerstroke thing until I talked with Del about it this year. It wasn't until this week that I put the glow plug issue together with my starter issue.

Also in hindsight, I thought this job was going to suck, so I've been putting it off. It wasn't bad at all, should have done it a year ago!

Time will tell if all is good!

Also in hindsight, I thought this job was going to suck, so I've been putting it off. It wasn't bad at all, should have done it a year ago!
Story of my life. You'd think I would learn.

Some people call it trail marks. This was product of my stupidity. But it is fixed and painted. I don't take credit for the paint. Just installed and adjusted the door.

I also had a new key made with the VIN and at some point the key was changed. I just re-keyed the whole truck with the factory code. It was not hard just time consuming. I am kind of ocd on some things but not in other.

69EE4A47-BBC6-4A06-997D-98D6D8D571A4.jpeg

68AF933C-9164-437E-A0AF-87788BDBE363.jpeg

Bucky had an exciting weekend. I replaced all the coolant hoses, flushed radiator, fixed horns, got all the lights working (including the dome light), replaced fuel sender, new wiper blades and cup holders. Just got it tagged and insured. It has taken me a year to get to this point but I'm happy to say that Bucky is now a man about town!
IMG_2725[1].JPG
IMG_2727[1].JPG
IMG_2728[1].JPG
IMG_2736[1].JPG
IMG_2737[1].JPG

A LEGAL man about town. Now the term Ridin Dirty can mean having actual dirt on Bucky

Need some help with a problem

My 80 started shuddering pretty violently yesterday out of nowhere. I was just driving down the road and hit the gas and it just started shaking. It does it even when it’s parked and definitely gets worse as I give it gas . Accelerating from a stop is really bad. I’ve ruled out transmission or driveshafts because it does it even at a stop. I also hear a little zap every few seconds when I open the hood and listen to the engine.

I’m ordering spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor because I don’t know the last time it was replaced anyway. Is there anything else y’all think could be causing it?

Also, how hard of a job are the plugs? I’m not experienced but I love working on the 80 and as long as there’s nothing I can break I’d love to do it myself.

sounds like your on the right path. it's pretty easy. if you ordered factory the plug wires will be numbered just match the numbers with the existing wires/cap. as for the plugs. i usually put a Little anti seize on the threads (don't get any on either end of the plug)

start the plug in by hand, take your time and make sure you don't cross thread them, torque them down to about 15 ft/lb

My 80 started shuddering pretty violently yesterday out of nowhere. I was just driving down the road and hit the gas and it just started shaking. It does it even when it’s parked and definitely gets worse as I give it gas . Accelerating from a stop is really bad. I’ve ruled out transmission or driveshafts because it does it even at a stop. I also hear a little zap every few seconds when I open the hood and listen to the engine.

I’m ordering spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor because I don’t know the last time it was replaced anyway. Is there anything else y’all think could be causing it?

Also, how hard of a job are the plugs? I’m not experienced but I love working on the 80 and as long as there’s nothing I can break I’d love to do it myself.

Shorts in the wire loom that runs behind the engine is one possibility. Does the exhaust seem really rich like unburnt fuel?

Shorts in the wire loom that runs behind the engine is one possibility. Does the exhaust seem really rich like unburnt fuel?
Haven’t noticed that but I’ll check.

Is the best place to get oem stuff from CDan? Or should I check the dealer in the interest of time cause I’d like to get it fixed as soon as I can

Cdan has been gone from the game for a couple years now.

Oh I guess I’ve been reading old threads. Would the dealership be the best place to get them?

i would go with factory, you can get them from the dealer or online. use NGK or ND plugs and you will not have any issues

i am not familiar with the Charlotte dealers maybe one of the local guys can post up some local info.
Http
://fat.parts is Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh. if you order by 3, they generally have parts ready for pickup next morning. add a little $ and a day or 2 for shipping
or try
www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ is out of Atlanta.

Scott Clark will give you a club discount if you ask. Town and Country on S Blvd is good to deal with too. Cheapest parts I find are online at McGeorge Toyota in GA.

I'm going to throw some doubt on the plugs & wires idea since you say it started suddenly when you hit the gas. It is, however, worth checking to be sure the wires are not touching each other or grounding. Your sig line says it is a 97 ... no codes thrown yet? I suggest having a look to see if the intake tube cracked or ripped along with checking for any other vacuum leaks. On the "Not likely but check anyway" list .... did you lose a fan blade and did an AC clutch bearing let go (that can also explain the "zap" you said you hear). What you are looking for is something that can fail suddenly as described in your post.

EDIT: I have seen carbon deposits get lodged into a spark plug gap so pulling the plugs just to have a look is free and easy.

Last edited:
I installed a new charcoal canister on my 80 last night. Having read several threads about the venerable ACDelco VC120 and how folks drill a hole in the bottom to vent it, I decided to use something a little different. ACDelco 215-153. Price was $61.00 on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B000C9I9GQ
I believe it is the same size as the old ACDelco VC120, but it has three ports like the Toyota canister. The old VC120 only has 2. I did have to use longer bolts in the clamps and I bent one of the clamps a little to keep it from touching the fuse box. I used about 8" of 3/8" fuel line and a small worm clamp to extend the vent hose from the frame up to the top of the new canister as the new canister has all three ports on top. Overall it took about 30 minutes to swap it all out and no more hissing from the gas tank and no more gassy smell.

I am getting it too
I installed a new charcoal canister on my 80 last night. Having read several threads about the venerable ACDelco VC120 and how folks drill a hole in the bottom to vent it, I decided to use something a little different. ACDelco 215-153. Price was $61.00 on Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B000C9I9GQ
I believe it is the same size as the old ACDelco VC120, but it has three ports like the Toyota canister. The old VC120 only has 2. I did have to use longer bolts in the clamps and I bent one of the clamps a little to keep it from touching the fuse box. I used about 8" of 3/8" fuel line and a small worm clamp to extend the vent hose from the frame up to the top of the new canister as the new canister has all three ports on top. Overall it took about 30 minutes to swap it all out and no more hissing from the gas tank and no more gassy smell.

enablement engaged....just ordered one too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom