Builds Turbo 1FZFE FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NKP Garage

Forever Learning
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
The EMSPowered turbo kits and some parts are being added to our website finally. You can follow the thread here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marketplace/731790-land-cruiser-1fzfe-turbo-kits-emspowered.html

Since so many people have been asking me about this over the last couple months I figure it's time to let the cat out of the bag. We were going to wait until our "mail-order" turbo kit was ready for sale before showing the general public this build. Here it is!!

Here are some photos of a turbo 1FZFE build we did a few months ago. This was for board member "jamisobe". Build details as follows.

Full build details of EMSPowered FZJ80 Turbo Kit:
* Precision Billet 6766 Turbocharger - Twinscroll T4
* Custom built T4 Twinscroll Turbo Y-pipe
* 3" downpipe
* 3" exhaust
* Precision 46mm V-band wastegate
* Custom intake pipe to allow use of stock airbox (for those that still want to retain a snorkel and stock air box)
* Custom air to water intercooler and IC pipes
* Custom built coolant reservoir for A2W IC
* Meziere high flow pump for A2W IC welded directly to reservoir
* Synapse BOV (rerouted back into intake pipe pre-turbo post-MAF)
* Walbro 255LPH high pressure fuel pump
* Custom heat exchanger and fan mounted in front for A2W IC system
* Custom oil feed line and fittings (braided stainless steel)
* Custom hard oil drain line
* Custom oil pan fitting

This turbo kit is built to allow for an FZJ80 complete bolt-on turbo kit solution that is able to run on 100% factory electronics/ECU/injectors with no changes and no tuning, which will approximately double your power/torque. Or if the customer chooses to can also make more power than the factory electronics are capable of by installing larger injectors and tuning. We can build these kits to support anywhere from 300hp to 1000+hp.

This particular one has not been dyno'd yet. Jamisobe's FZJ80 is back at our shop right now again to have a built/ported cylinder head installed along with Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, and some other goodies. After it's all put back together again we'll try and find some time to get it on the dyno for you guys so there's some actual dyno data to look at as well.

Here are a few pics from the build process on this particular truck:

277882_462195377131895_1003411363_o.jpg

IMAG1518.jpg

IMAG1581.jpg

IMAG1589.jpg

IMAG1613.jpg

IMAG1670.jpg

IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

277882_462195377131895_1003411363_o.jpg

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
While a little more expensive I would recommend the oem supra turbo pump. I also wonder if something as simple a a safc II would work or would you have to go with a AEM fuel controller.

I ordered the supra pump, but really it's only big flow increase is at WOT or 12-14.4v. I think a safc II would be ok, but the computer is still going to cut injector pulse width when the O2 sensor reads anything leaner than 14.7.

**I think and this is purely my opinion, that for a successful system you are going to have to trick the O2 sensor to read 14.7 while at 12, or the closed loop will always run you lean, even with additional fueling**

While a little more expensive I would recommend the oem supra turbo pump. I also wonder if something as simple a a safc II would work or would you have to go with a AEM fuel controller.

Did I miss the price?

I don't think that they have a "kit" together yet, this is just a sample, but it looks like the range with all the options is going to be fairly wide, from very reasonable to OMG.

Did I miss the price?

The supra pump is a good option as well and runs quieter. Just depends on the budget when it comes to the details.

I would recommend steering clear of the safc or any sort of piggy back fuel controller. While they allow you to lean out the fuel trim by tricking the ecu into thinking the engine is at a different load point, what also happens is that it inadvertently puts you at a different load point on the ignition map as well and you end up running incorrect timing. You are better of sticking to 100% stock ecu and injectors until unless you are wanting to make more power than the stock injectors can support. At which time you'd need to upgrade to larger injectors and an ecu capable of controlling both fuel and timing.

Very awesome, hopefully I will be next, I just shot you an email, lets try and work something out.

Sounds great. I just headed out with the wife and kids to go to the park after I posted this thread. I'll get back to the email this evening when I'm back at a computer.

I think that one of the big misconceptions about turbo's is that they hurt low RPM power. I have never been able to find that the case if the turbo is reasonably sized for the application, it just seems like there is no power down low because with a big turbo once the turbo spools it is like getting hit in the back with a 2x4, but the power before the turbo hits is the same as an identical motor without a turbo. With a smaller turbo the boost can come in at lower RPM's and is much less noticeable. I think with the right sized turbo you will probably start building boost around 2000 rpms.

Beautiful kit right there! I'm not one to spend money on a kit as I'd just rather build it, but this has me saving already. Looks better than what the factory would have built.

Matt

Would this require premium fuel all the time? Could you set it up to run on both regular and premium, and be able to take advantage of the premium fuel with some minor wrenching/adjustments. I sometimes go places were premium fuel is not readily available, and it would be cool to run regular most of the time, and then bump it up a bit when towing.

Baktash, I will have mine 4 wheel dyno'd before we start so we can show the gains, I am not sure if Cobb still rents their dyno but I am sure we could find one in Austin.
Use JMS Racing in San Antonio. They have an all wheel drive Dynojet 424x. The Dynojet is going to give the most consistent results for comparison. Talk to Joaquin or George and they'll take care of you. Just let them know its a "before" dyno for an EMSPowered turbo build.

Beautiful kit right there! I'm not one to spend money on a kit as I'd just rather build it, but this has me saving already. Looks better than what the factory would have built.

Matt
Thanks Matt. That's exactly what we go for on each and every build and product we build here at EMSPowered.

Would this require premium fuel all the time? Could you set it up to run on both regular and premium, and be able to take advantage of the premium fuel with some minor wrenching/adjustments. I sometimes go places were premium fuel is not readily available, and it would be cool to run regular most of the time, and then bump it up a bit when towing.
Anytime you add forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger) to an engine premium fuel is recommended. You probably could run it on 87 octane at lower boost levels without any harm. Best way to do this would be to set the kit up with a very low pressure wastegate spring and then use a boost controller to go to higher boost levels when desired and when running premium fuel. Personally though I would recommend running premium fuel only when adding forced induction.

Awesome. How would this be for off road? I always have the thought that a bIg turbo might effect low down power.

Also would this work on a rhd truck ??
scottryana got this one answered very well. A turbo is not going to hurt your low end power, it will only add power once it spools up and starts creating boost (pressurized intake charge). Also, keep in mind that turbos today are more advanced than they were just 5 years ago, and far more advanced than what was available 10 years ago. With the correct turbo choice you can get better low end power than even what a supercharger can provide.

I would bet as shown 2x the price of a TRD supercharger..... But the potential for more power is definitely there.

There is a lot going on with the air to water intercooler. I am a little concerned with the extra heat in front of the condenser from the a/w radiator even with the 10" fan. I have my fan clutch tuned up so that I rarely see 200 degree temps even in 100 degree weather and the A/C blows really cold I am pretty excited to see how everything performs.

Baktash and I are still working out the details of my kit and when it can be installed, but I think I should have some reports very soon. I will try and get over to JMS racing and get a baseline dyno maybe this week.

Last edited:
What is depressing about the turbo option for the Land Cruiser is the lack of good engine management option. The auto tragic requires so many inputs from the Engine ECU to control shift points but I am not having a lot of luck finding an ECU that will output the things I would need to allow the TCU to work. I am looking at the AEM FIC looks like the only option. It would really be nice if I could have access to the Toyota ECU. I am so spoiled with Honda ECUs and their accessibility. How do you get around the ECU issue?

Yes it it is a decent size turbo but the 6766 is New technology. Guys are getting insane gains on 2j's with this turbo with excellent spool up I cant imagine what this turbo would do with a extra 1.5 liters and a small A/r housing. I've been doing a lot of research on the 7175 for my car.

What size are the stock injectors on a 1fz?

SM,

I don't think there is a general consensus on the best way to manage the engine.

Using a piggy back to just intercept the signal to the injectors won't work, you can increase the injector cycle, but as soon as it hits the O2 sensor and it shows too rich the computer will cut the cycle you add more it cuts more, etc. That is the fall back of the closed loop system it is trying to maintain the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, which is too lean for a supercharged truck, going WOT will make the engine very lean before the O2 sensor can read it.

I am not a professional and I know there are a lot of people out there that have done this more than I have, but I am of the opinion that if you do not want a very expensive Engine Management system that can port the right readings to the transmission that the steps would look like:

Engine management under boost

Stock - up to 8-9 PSI

Using a stand alone O2 sensor calibrator and possibly 7th injector - 10-15psi

Stand alone engine management - 16psi+

Until someone gets an AFR on a truck and starts turning up the boost, I am not sure anyone knows.

There are some ways to push the envelope like using higher flow fuel pumps and higher rated fuel regulators to introduce more fuel, when the injectors are using the same cycle, eeking out 10psi on stock computer, etc.

I think it is exciting that EMS is taking on these challenges and it should be pretty cool to see what they come up with. I think if the power is there, V8 swaps could be a thing of the past.

Ryan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom