Builds Treebeard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm planning to work from the road and that means I need power. I'm a web developer by day so I need cell service and my laptop. A GoalZero Yeti 500 would probably do everything I need... but I can actually build a dual battery system for about the same price. I replaced my starter battery last week so now is the perfect time to buy a second one and tie them together. I'm going pretty simple but leaving the door open to future improvements. I gotta say that I have learned a LOT over the last couple of weeks and I owe much of it to the PO of my tent (thanks Luke!) and to @Bullzi. Thanks for answering a bunch of noob questions and for all the photos of your setup.🙏 Another shoutout goes to faroutride.com... this is an amazing site for learning about electrical builds (among other things). I have used this wire size calculator extensively while planning the build.

The idea is to tie the batteries together with a 0 awg cable, rely on low power needs and solar to keep them topped off, and carry a battery jumper just in case (I have a Noco GB45X which works great). If, somehow, I manage to use enough power to need to jump the batteries then I'll consider another solution (Blue Sea ACR, Renogy DCC30S, or maybe a Redarc unit).

I ordered another Blue Sea panel (I already have one and I like the fit and finish), a couple of fuse blocks (one for the front eventually), a big circuit breaker for the front, and stuff for the new battery cables I need to make. I also spent way too long mapping all of this out using digikey.com. I found it really helpful for thinking through all of the possibilities and keeping track of my notes.

Car-3.png

That's all for now! I need to order some LEDs and do some mechanical baselining. After I complete the electrical build next week I'll do a shakedown run and tweak before the end of January.

Last edited:
I'm planning to work from the road and that means I need power. I'm a web developer by day so I need cell service and my laptop. A GoalZero Yeti 500 would probably do everything I need... but I can actually build a dual battery system for about the same price. I replaced my starter battery last week so now is the perfect time to buy a second one and tie them together. I'm going pretty simple but leaving the door open to future improvements. I gotta say that I have learned a LOT over the last couple of weeks and I owe much of it to the PO of my tent (thanks Luke!) and to @Bullzi. Thanks for answering a bunch of noob questions and for all the photos of your setup.🙏 Another shoutout goes to faroutride.com... this is an amazing site for learning about electrical builds (among other things). I have used this wire size calculator extensively while planning the build.

The idea is to tie the batteries together with a 0 awg cable, rely on low power needs and solar to keep them topped off, and carry a battery jumper just in case (I have a Noco GB45X which works great). If, somehow, I manage to use enough power to need to jump the batteries then I'll consider another solution (Blue Sea ACR, Renogy DCC30S, or maybe a Redarc unit).

I ordered another Blue Sea panel (I already have one and I like the fit and finish), a couple of fuse blocks (one for the front eventually), a big circuit breaker for the front, and stuff for the new battery cables I need to make. I also spent way too long mapping all of this out using digikey.com. I found it really helpful for thinking through all of the possibilities and keeping track of my notes.

View attachment 2897413

That's all for now! I need to order some LEDs and do some mechanical baselining. After I complete the electrical build next week I'll do a shakedown run and tweak before the end of January.
Great work Nate. When you need to do cables for the dual batteries or rear run come up and we can make everything with the hydraulic crimpers. I need to check out your tent and awning setup. I feel like I’m going to be pretty jealous of the l tent space.

I’m not really and electrical guy but the notes you made really helped to understand the schematic. Thanks for that!

Glad to see you get on the road and test the legs for you and Treebeard. It think it’s exactly what you both should do.

That's quite the overlander you're building. Maybe we should explore the White Rim of Canyonlands while you are here? The scenery is beyond spectacular. My 60 is more "utility" than overlander but it's up for the trip. This is just one idea, I got many and so much to see here.

That's quite the overlander you're building. Maybe we should explore the White Rim of Canyonlands while you are here? The scenery is beyond spectacular. My 60 is more "utility" than overlander but it's up for the trip. This is just one idea, I got many and so much to see here.
PM incoming. :D

Good stuff over the last couple of days. The solar panel and rear power are all wired up! It went mostly according to plan although some of the terminals I used aren’t exactly the right size. I’m eager to test out the solar panel tomorrow (if the sun comes out). I found a piece of painted metal in the shop that I cut and drilled for a minimal electrical bracket next to the battery. There should also be space on it for one of Blue Sea’s more minimal fuse blocks. The second battery is installed but not yet wired up. The wire is on order and should be here later this week. Im going to use the KISS method found in the 200 series forum and run the batteries in parallel.
D0991F63-EED8-4098-BB7D-DBD24F0A10F0.jpeg
5827A59E-AF42-4A9B-8DE5-E311C21DAE56.jpeg
4339A433-9D09-4C7C-937C-0ED7DE97D4AD.jpeg

I also got the Weboost Reach OTR cell booster installed! For the antenna I used the swiveling bracket from Finn Fab (thanks @NookShneer for the recommendation) and positioned it so that it can hide mostly behind the awning. I don’t have any pictures of it in the “up” position but I’m particularly pleased that it can swivel so that it’s above the top of the tent when the tent is open. This puts the antenna 13’ in the air with nothing blocking it for maximum effect.
B05DB4A9-35FE-4930-92C2-D00FD0185BF0.jpeg
5D4DF4EA-3821-4DCA-87A1-7A3BBB5FC821.jpeg

What are the Cliff's notes regarding the weboost again? It only helps a weak signal and doesn't give reception where there already was none correct?

What are the Cliff's notes regarding the weboost again? It only helps a weak signal and doesn't give reception where there already was none correct?
Yep. It has to have a signal to boost. Results vary widely based on location so it’s tough to quantify how well it works but anecdotal reports are good. I’m hoping it can help me work from camp in more places. I'd like to test it at Kalaloch campground on the coast. When I camp there I get one bar and text messages often get dropped. I expect the weboost to make that signal reliable for data.

Last edited:
Except for the overlanding! Soon :)

You’ll rectify that shorty. I have maps with dropped pins that I’ll share and expect a full detail of notes.

Keep in mind:

-Fuel is the new rent.
-Stay as long as you can in one place as long as it is amazing.
-Follow the weather.
-Budget to have some mechanical issues down the line. Also, budget to make upgrades or upgrade rigs down the line.
-Find a good app for cell coverage.
-Check out compendium.com for “boondocking sites” they rate cell coverage for sites as well.

Enjoy, rinse and repeat.

You’ll rectify that shorty. I have maps with dropped pins that I’ll share and expect a full detail of notes.

Keep in mind:

-Fuel is the new rent.
-Stay as long as you can in one place as long as it is amazing.
-Follow the weather.
-Budget to have some mechanical issues down the line. Also, budget to make upgrades or upgrade rigs down the line.
-Find a good app for cell coverage.
-Check out compendium.com for “boondocking sites” they rate cell coverage for sites as well.

Enjoy, rinse and repeat.

Good thoughts, thanks @NookShneer. Hopefully between the solar panel and having friends/family all over the country (adding @Bullzi to that list!) I can keep the fuel/rent costs somewhat down. :) Here's to good weather and minimal mechanical issues for a while. Making sure I have cell coverage will be a part-time job but I'm hoping that the booster makes a big difference. I'm also ready to get a Verizon hot spot if needed. For work I need to be able to get on calls (ideally with video) almost every day.

I missed Treebeard’s two-year buyaversary, dang! Anyways here’s a random photo of the rig that I can’t believe is mine. One week from now we’ll be in Utah!

View attachment 2907902
Come along way since then. Nice work man.

My last update was more than two weeks ago… buckle up.

Let’s start with the electrical parts of my build. The solar panel works great, the dual batteries are installed, and I have a fuse block from Blue Sea under the hood powering my CB radio and seat hater. I have an updated wiring diagram to share later, I just don’t have it handy.

The dual battery buildout was time-consuming but ultimately pretty simple with the right supplies, a hydraulic crimper, and a stainless battery tray. I opted to route battery cables over the fan shroud for a couple of reasons. First, this is the shortest route between the batteries. Second, this pretty closely mimics the setup that Toyota used from the factory on HJ trucks. Third, this is less likely than other setups to result in a massive short circuit in the event of a head-on collision. The “other setups” I’m referring to include running both cables in front of the radiator, either on top of the radiator support or between the support and the radiator. These would seem to be fine to me if I had chosen to only run a positive cable between the batteries but running 1/0 + and - cables there seemed like a bad idea.

I wired up an LED light strip on my rear hatch, mostly following @blbuck12’s guide. I took the lazy way out and didn’t properly route my wires but I did manage to include an inline dimmer and hooked them up to one of my new switches on the cargo panel. They’re a little blue for my tastes but super functional.

0492E7FE-F53E-476A-844E-F46A9351E573.jpeg

38D12989-69A1-4766-B465-22E7D7D2DD7B.jpeg

43BDC03C-C256-4CF0-80FC-045D9574687A.jpeg

A0C4DED4-D515-4910-8C5D-B97035497CE0.jpeg

A little more about gearing up for the trip…

I decided to spring for some beefy, security-focused mounts for the rooftop tent. These mounts from Wheel Every Weekend use security nuts and are designed to thwart bolt cutters. I feel a lot better driving cross-country with an expensive RTT (and gear bolted to it) with these. I did notice one of them rattled loose after a few hundred miles but that’s on me. It was easy to snug up.

My job is 100% remote now so I’m aiming to be able to work from anywhere. This “Trailgater” tire table is a spendy addition to the kit but I love that it’s lightweight, easy to set up, and is always level. There’s plenty of room for a laptop and other gear, doubles as a dinner table under the awning, and it’s the right height for camp chairs.

Finally… the heater. The Roofnest Flock facebook group is obsessed with portable diesel heaters and I’m a believer. The patent on the Webasto design expired a few years ago and now cheap Chinese knock-offs are all over Amazon. I’m not usually a fan of cheap Chinese gear but these seem to work very well despite the relatively poor build quality. With a bit of power and a bit of diesel fuel these can put out clean, dry, hot air that’s perfect for keeping a vehicle or tent warm and dry. I ordered one for about $140 off of Amazon and stayed up late last week building it into an old toolbox I had laying around. The night before we were scheduled to leave on the trip I finished it and tested it on the tailgate in front of my house. It works super well!

Unfortunately someone must have seem me testing it because it was stolen out of my rig that night. There are a number of homeless folks living in RVs near my house and I can only imagine how enticing one of these things would be. I just hope they don’t try to use it inside one of the RVs. I’ll build another one before long.

C9A17670-42CD-4087-BE59-0C01296AEAFD.jpeg

E531C081-6F6A-43C0-BB0D-B0560BC96E29.jpeg

AA061E16-FD36-4371-B448-C37D2063DF04.jpeg

0A113483-301B-44E1-8EA6-0093D4984982.jpeg

438B11AC-54FA-488A-89E7-4D15DDE2B294.jpeg

Cruiser people are the best people. I posted on local channels about the broken window and received several offers of help including multiple folks who were willing to remove the glass from their own truck in order to get me on the road. I accepted that offer from @red66toy and he helped me get it installed that same day. He’ll receive another piece in the mail this week from Cruiser Corps. :)

I just can’t believe that we fixed a broken window from a 40-year-old car in less than 7 hours. Legendary.

I also borrowed a Mr Heater to make tent camping possible in February (thanks @Jonathan Faunce!) bought replacements for some stolen items (including snacks), and hit the road…

508AF3F9-39EA-4959-BFE9-22ACDEBBA061.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom