Builds Treebeard (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is so satisfying. The hood closes with a good thunk, the engine bay looks great, and I’m convinced that the engine noise is quieter on the road. I used construction adhesive from Home Depot instead of 3M stuff just because it was easier to get and use (no special gun needed).

4A842E78-2DEA-4732-9864-5178DAD8A3C1.jpeg

F4E101E6-B889-4DE0-8FF2-7987E96DD45C.jpeg

D4893D4B-C456-4502-A78A-56D319535D0A.jpeg

@ntdb What is the purpose of the foil stuff? I would think any sound deadening there would be moot unless you did the entire firewall. Does it keep the heat in? Would that be good or bad? Just curious. The hood liner pad looks great by the way.

@ntdb What is the purpose of the foil stuff? I would think any sound deadening there would be moot unless you did the entire firewall. Does it keep the heat in? Would that be good or bad? Just curious. The hood liner pad looks great by the way.
It's sound deadening and heat insulation. I'm just guessing but I suspect that keeping heat in the engine bay would be good during the winter and possibly problematic in the summer. 😅

Sound deadening is the main reason I did it. It's also one of those "while you're in there" things that I'm prone to taking on. The hood is such a huge piece of sheet metal that any additional weight/support is going to make a difference in how it feels and sounds. You're right that the firewall could also use some additional sound deadening but I still think this made a difference. Can't hurt, right?

It's sound deadening and heat insulation. I'm just guessing but I suspect that keeping heat in the engine bay would be good during the winter and possibly problematic in the summer. 😅

Sound deadening is the main reason I did it. It's also one of those "while you're in there" things that I'm prone to taking on. The hood is such a huge piece of sheet metal that any additional weight/support is going to make a difference in how it feels and sounds. You're right that the firewall could also use some additional sound deadening but I still think this made a difference. Can't hurt, right?
It also helps keep the hood cool from engine heat to preserve the paint…or at least that is what I read somewhere 🤷

Today’s office near the Mississippi River.

There’s not much to report about the cruiser, it’s running great. I’ve gotten about 12.5 mpg since leaving Atlanta and I’m happy with that. I’m trying to stay around 2500rpm on the highway instead of my usual 3000rpm. Trucks hate me.

Two weeks ago ACC in Atlanta changed the oil, tightened a loose hub, topped off fluids, and bled the brakes. Cool shop. 👍

DF18EEDA-A798-459D-ACBA-5C54A91CE4E1.jpeg

Today’s office near the Mississippi River.

There’s not much to report about the cruiser, it’s running great. I’ve gotten about 12.5 mpg since leaving Atlanta and I’m happy with that. I’m trying to stay around 2500rpm on the highway instead of my usual 3000rpm. Trucks hate me.

Two weeks ago ACC in Atlanta changed the oil, tightened a loose hub, topped off fluids, and bled the brakes. Cool shop. 👍

View attachment 2953084

How many miles have you driven since you started your trip?

My math might be wrong so help me. But $5 a gallon at 70 miles per hour at 12 miles to the the gallon is really $5 for every 10.34 minutes of travel. This is freaking me out guys.
I'm being dramatic, it's only $4.86 a gallon😏

Apparently I'm bad at trip updates. It's been really important to me to live in the moment instead of documenting. Anyways... I'm back in Seattle! The total trip mileage was probably over 7,000 miles and the truck (almost) never skipped a beat. It blows my mind to be honest. My only breakdown was right after a tune-up and revving to 3500 a few times sorted out that issue. Time to take it easy and install some bumpers before I leave for a trip to Death Valley at the end of April. :)

1648483153494.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom