Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tbisaacs

It's basically a Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Here is the truck as of December 2022

opy5MCd.jpg

cnp1kBT.jpg

Read on to see how I got here!

Hi everyone! I picked up an '08 LX a few months ago and started poking around here but haven't started a thread yet.

I came from a 2004 Suburban (build) that I used to drag kids, wife, and dog all over WA:

6Ozggis.jpg

Aside from a full set of Weathertechs, My LX is totally stock. It appears to have never left the pavement in its 94k miles.

So first thing is first:

fT97o5B.jpg

57WFKuS.jpg

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the 275/55 Bridgestone Duelers but they did great. I'll likely move up to a D or E rated LT tire in the next year or so.

I was totally blown away with this thing even in stock form. I love love love AHC off road. It's amazing how much articulation it has while remaining smooth and quiet.

Other than tires, my next focus will be replacing the AHC shocks. One has a small leak and the other 3 are starting so show seepage. The dealer cost is astronomical - so I may DIY.

More to come!

C6D8669F-4AD0-4B85-AEC9-DAF402FDD135.jpeg

1839C750-BFAE-4F9B-BCC3-3D1E8720EA74.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the same exact rig as mentioned in another thread. I think for once, it's safe to say that except for bigger 33-34" tires, I am leaving this one alone. Do you have any plans for armor/mods on your LX?

Looks great! You won't be disappointed.

Hi everyone! I picked up an '08 LX a few months ago and started poking around here but haven't started a thread yet.

I came from a 2004 Suburban (build) that I used to drag kids, wife, and dog all over WA:

6Ozggis.jpg

Aside from a full set of Weathertechs, My LX is totally stock. It appears to have never left the pavement in its 94k miles.

So first thing is first:

fT97o5B.jpg

57WFKuS.jpg

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the 275/55 Bridgestone Duelers but they did great. I'll likely move up to a D or E rated LT tire in the next year or so.

I was totally blown away with this thing even in stock form. I love love love AHC off road. It's amazing how much articulation it has while remaining smooth and quiet.

Other than tires, my next focus will be replacing the AHC shocks. One has a small leak and the other 3 are starting so show seepage. The dealer cost is astronomical - so I may DIY.

More to come!
So what are your impressions v Suburban? :p

I have the same exact rig as mentioned in another thread. I think for once, it's safe to say that except for bigger 33-34" tires, I am leaving this one alone. Do you have any plans for armor/mods on your LX?

Not for a while. I'm really interested in a set of LX-specific sliders once they are readily available from Slee.

So what are your impressions v Suburban? :p

Great question. The Suburban is a really great low-cost, do all, capable out of the box rig. Cheap to acquire and work on. Will gladly accept 33-34" tires with no mods. Mine had the G80 automatic locking differential and never left me wanting for more traction. Huge 31 gallon gas tank. I really had no regrets.

It's Achilles heel was also it's greatest feature—that extra foot of wheelbase to drag around behind the rear wheels.

It's not really a fair comparison though. The LC/LX is just a whole other solar system in terms of fit and finish.

I’m really torn on the idea of keeping my OEM wheels and mounting a set of 275/60/r20s (33x10.8) or down sizing to some 18” Tundra wheels (Rock Warriors are nice but not worth the markup). I even went so far as to create my own flavor of the wheel and tire database for 20” wheels.

This weekend I happened to find a set of pristine Tundra 18” wheels down the street for $50. No TPMS and tires are of course trashed, but I couldn’t lpass them up.

x9Dagcw.jpg

I don’t see this style of wheel on the LX/LC very often so I started looking around for inspiration. Lo and behold, the inimitable Fat Amy wore a set of these before she went full trail monster.

I mounted one up to try to get and idea as to how it would look. Results are inconclusive. It’s hard to imagine the end result without proper meats:

XHzSRzR.jpg

I’m really torn on the idea of keeping my OEM wheels and mounting a set of 275/60/r20s (33x10.8) or down sizing to some 18” Tundra wheels (Rock Warriors are nice but not worth the markup). I even went so far as to create my own flavor of the wheel and tire database for 20” wheels.

This weekend I happened to find a set of pristine Tundra 18” wheels down the street for $50. No TPMS and tires are of course trashed, but I couldn’t lpass them up.

x9Dagcw.jpg

I don’t see this style of wheel on the LX/LC very often so I started looking around for inspiration. Lo and behold, the inimitable Fat Amy wore a set of these before she went full trail monster.

I mounted one up to try to get and idea as to how it would look. Results are inconclusive. It’s hard to imagine the end result without proper meats:

XHzSRzR.jpg
This is perfect. I too want different rims on my lx and I get to see how these rims look like without buying them as mine is the same color and all.. I think with some 33" a/t's it would complete the look.

It's Achilles heel was also it's greatest feature—that extra foot of wheelbase to drag around behind the rear wheels.
Funny lots of my friends have the caddy ESV

When we go south of the border we are always envious they can put their whole family plus all luggage and camping equipment behind third row

We toy with the idea of getting a new suburban or a caddy Esv, as our LX has no room behind third row and using our 21 feet Thule roof box over the years gets tiring

When we go south of the border we are always envious they can put their whole family plus all luggage and camping equipment behind third row

We toy with the idea of getting a new suburban or a caddy Esv, as our LX has no room behind third row and using our 21 feet Thule roof box over the years gets tiring

Yep, we never really had to think much about packing. Bring it all, and the dog :)

a88632869111b4a4346a5599fe346715.jpg

From the sound of your use case it sounds like you could be better suited with one of the long base SUVs from GM. Or Ford...comes down to preference/religion there. Doesn't sound like you're going places where your friends with the Caddys are getting stuck. Plus you have your LC for the trips with the hard stuff. The tech and infotainment on the Caddys or Subs is night and day better than the Lexus/Toyota. Apple car play and android auto as well as Onstar remote control functions. If one wanted use it there is also 4G to Wifi in the cabin. Captain chairs in the second row is a nice option too. More power outlets and usb ports than you can shake a stick at. And if you're trading them out every 2 to 3 years- reliability really isn't an issue. The depreciation % between Toyota and GM is pretty similar within the first 3 years. It's far down the road where Toyota outshines on resale value. With an LC and a LX in the fleet you have two off-roaders. Granted the LX less so due to body cladding and wheel size.. but still capable. Anyway two off-roaders in the fleet- perhaps it makes sense to add an on-road hauler like the Caddy or Sub... I like the LC/LX but I'd be lying if I said the longer wheel base didn't ride nicer on-road. I, too, am toying with the idea of a Yukon or the Caddy.

Not for a while. I'm really interested in a set of LX-specific sliders once they are readily available from Slee.
You should call Bud from BudBuilt for nice and fully bolt-on armor (requires no modification or fabrication). I ordered the beefy rock sliders and aluminum under carriage armor stage 4. I will post pictures once I put them on.

From the sound of your use case it sounds like you could be better suited with one of the long base SUVs from GM. Or Ford...comes down to preference/religion there. Doesn't sound like you're going places where your friends with the Caddys are getting stuck. Plus you have your LC for the trips with the hard stuff. The tech and infotainment on the Caddys or Subs is night and day better than the Lexus/Toyota. Apple car play and android auto as well as Onstar remote control functions. If one wanted use it there is also 4G to Wifi in the cabin. Captain chairs in the second row is a nice option too. More power outlets and usb ports than you can shake a stick at. And if you're trading them out every 2 to 3 years- reliability really isn't an issue. The depreciation % between Toyota and GM is pretty similar within the first 3 years. It's far down the road where Toyota outshines on resale value. With an LC and a LX in the fleet you have two off-roaders. Granted the LX less so due to body cladding and wheel size.. but still capable. Anyway two off-roaders in the fleet- perhaps it makes sense to add an on-road hauler like the Caddy or Sub... I like the LC/LX but I'd be lying if I said the longer wheel base didn't ride nicer on-road. I, too, am toying with the idea of a Yukon or the Caddy.
Thank you

Instead of having two 200 in the stable, for our needs I think one 200 + caddy /suburban would be ideal. If the sequoia was longer like a suburban it would be a no brainer to get that

View attachment 1576646

285/55/20 BFG AT/KO2's a lot bigger foot print

These look great on your rig! I went back and forth with keeping the OEM 20's—but one trip to the ORV made up my mind. I have a set of 18" Tundra wheels just waiting for new rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom