A decade in the making. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D21FJ60

#LiveLaughLove.
Threads
For year's i've dreamed of how i'd write my intro. But as time is of value, I will keep it shorter and sweeter.

It all began with my father @Landschooner in October 1999 when he brought home an 84 FJ60 and proceeded to use it for all of our memory filled adventures.

I've always wanted my own cruiser, but never thought i'd be in a position to get one. I recall a decade ago in college combing through the 100 series section wishing I had one to call my own.
That time is upon me.

I saw the truck on craigslist for a decent price about a year or so ago. Disappeared and figure it sold. Not like I had the$ at the time anyways. Saw it being driven around and in a shopping center over the course of time since then.
Well my wife and I sold our house and had some cash and she knowing how much i've wanted one and hearing me blab on about Land Cruisers since we met caved and green lighted the acquisition of one.
Left my number under the wiper blade and heard nothing. Cruised by where I saw the truck and left it again. Days later the kid calls me and we have a nice conversation. Price sounds nice so we get together and check it out.
His mother and step dad bought it back in 2004 with 49k miles on it. It is a '99 and now has 295k. Frame is what it is for being a northern virginia truck most of its life. Brake master cylinder done in '06 at 150k or so, timing belt and water pump done last year. AC is questionable. Interior needs a good cleaning, and shocks and tires are jacked. He even comes by and drops it off, had to use pblaster to get license plate screws out since they've been in so long.

So after driving it about 1200 miles I have a list of things to do-
-Shocks
-Tires
Done 04/13/2020
-Oil change Done 04/18/2020
-Trans fluid drain and fill
-Test out diff locker and center diff locker. Shifts into Low with no problems.
-Scrub the interior
-New steering wheel or thinner profile wheel cover. PO had a massive one on there and it was a total pain to use.
-New Seatbelts
-New front seat leather or seat cover or seats.
-Power steering flush and hose replacement
-Radiator hoses look like they need replacing, as does the radiator.
-Fix A/C
-Fix controls for rear fan and defrost Turns out mirror defrost doesn't come on unless its below a certain temp. Rear fan is controlled in the rear, works great.
-Lower driver ball joint
-Steering rack
-Valve cover gasket torque
-Huracane 100 series tailgate storage or homebrewed copy

Thoughts for future after baseline and necessary repairs, essentially what I was going to do to my 4Runner:
-Custom headliner with some sort of safari print
-New head unit- wanted to keep factory cd player because it dims with dash at night but it wont load cds.
-new speakers
-remove back seats and replace with 02+ seats so I can have the LATCH car seat clamps. With 2 toddlers and 1 on the way this is a priority.
-Wits end console organizer
-Ford cup holder insert mod.
-in bumper back up LED lights
-tow hitch Completed June 2021
-add discovery cup holders
-wire wheel and coat frame with rust preventative Completed June 2021

Lots more. Already assembling a spreadsheet itemizing everything. This will be fun. My wife won't think so.

It is a gold badge model, which I think i'm the only person on mud who likes them. Rear badges are fading though so I may remove and get a @bhicks 4wd emblem for the rear.

Details to come. Let's see pictures, all of which i've already posted in other threads but here they'll be centralized.

My son loves it, so it's already worth it.

100_1.jpeg

100_2.jpeg

100_3.jpeg

Last edited:
Had to move my 4Runner out of the way in the garage and of course the battery is dead from sitting. Rolled it too far back in neutral to be able to shut garage door. Wasn't sure what to do then it dawned on me that I have a leather clad Japanese tractor, so I used it to push the 4Runner back in enough to shut the garage.

452D20D6-6B22-48F0-AB9E-D080ABF2C1D7.jpeg

Been dailying the Cruiser. Plan is to sell the 4Runner and the es300 is my father's so he'll be selling it.

More the need to get this thing up to par.

I noticed when I press the brake pedal its a little soft but if I pump again its firm. I know the master cylinder has been done before, so hoping this is just a sign of a flush and nothing more sinister.

Steering pump whines like my kids when they are tired and hungry. Any way to check if the rack is going bad without jacking the front end up? Searched this and didn't really find anything definitive.

Need to tighten the valve covers too.

Needs a good bath

Regardless, everytime i've gotten out and walked away I always find myself looking back. Or finding excuses to run an errand. Obviously I haven't filled it up yet.

Nice! Welcome! I bet she'll clean up alright.

For the head unit, most (maybe even 99% of them) aftermarket units dim with the headlights so that shouldn't be a concern. Most even offer color matching so you can maintain a consistent color tone, to some degree.

I was wondering about that. It's been a while since I ran an aftermarket unit so things may have changed since then.
At some point I plan ordering one or two key fobs from you. Still waiting to get the second key from the PO.

Typically the soft pedal and then hard pedal is a brake bleeding problem, not fluid.

These trucks have a very specific bleeding procedure but its nothing you can't do at home with some help.

Search around for the FSM. It goes through the procedure quite nicely.

I was wondering about that. It's been a while since I ran an aftermarket unit so things may have changed since then.
At some point I plan ordering one or two key fobs from you. Still waiting to get the second key from the PO.

Cool. Use code "5OFF2" and save yourself 5% if you buy two at once!

On that brake pedal issue, my 99 has had that for my entire ownership. I tried bleeding a few years back and didn't improve it. I probably need to try again with techstream.

Typically the soft pedal and then hard pedal is a brake bleeding problem, not fluid.

These trucks have a very specific bleeding procedure but its nothing you can't do at home with some help.

Search around for the FSM. It goes through the procedure quite nicely.

That makes me breath a little easier. The PO did say it had new lines and brakes so i'm guessing it was done by a gas station or mom and pop shop and not done per FSM. Fluid is gross anyways so it is on the list. Thanks for the input

Cool. Use code "5OFF2" and save yourself 5% if you buy two at once!

On that brake pedal issue, my 99 has had that for my entire ownership. I tried bleeding a few years back and didn't improve it. I probably need to try again with techstream.
Good to know. And i'll do that when the time comes. I don't mind having to manually unlock doors for now, makes it feel more utilitarian that way.

Not able to change the thread title, but the name of this truck is "Scrappy" after this dog my parents have. They got him about 8 years ago as a rescue.
His history is unknown but he reminds me of the scrappy mongrel dogs i'd seen in Kenya and Haiti. His personality up until recently was as such, barked at everything and would find small mammals to capture and bring in the house to feast on, much to my vegetarian mothers' despair.
His name isn't scrappy, but it's what we ended up calling him as a nickname.
Scrappy Dog and any decipherable shortening thereof won't fit on a license plate so sadly that won't be happening.

Filled up today, first full tank since I got her:

68A90B4C-E0D6-43F3-9A3A-8BC78308E2F6.png

So that’s me not changing driving habits at all. 100% suburban driving. Heavy foot and desperately needs shocks tires and a Tune up.
Hoping to get that magic 14-15 when it’s all said and done.

Went and picked up some tundra take offs.
My tires were 10 years old. Replacements are 4 and 2 years old, but in really good shape.
These are my 2nd fav tundra wheels behind the holes steelies. For $150 I can’t complain.
Had some hiccups and discoveries...

B3E5D3B2-6F1A-47BF-B146-8ACD36DCB9E1.jpeg

81AF19A6-D24D-44DA-A508-6D3BD1F874D8.jpeg

90621AEA-C4D6-432B-B482-E76414FCF6DD.jpeg

4EB4D212-3087-454C-9A8E-F4DD3D6A5638.jpeg

Went and picked up some tundra take offs.
My tires were 10 years old. Replacements are 4 and 2 years old, but in really good shape.
These are my 2nd fav tundra wheels behind the holes steelies. For $150 I can’t complain.
Had some hiccups and discoveries...

View attachment 2271464

View attachment 2271466

View attachment 2271485

View attachment 2271486
Might as well replace them all lol. one of the first things I had to do on my Rustyish Iowa truck. One broke, then 3... So I replaced every.. single.. one...

Might as well replace them all lol. one of the first things I had to do on my Rustyish Iowa truck. One broke, then 3... So I replaced every.. single.. one...
Haven’t done one before so I am hesitant to dive in. May hold out til my local chapter has a tech day and do it then... I searched here but couldn’t find anything definitive on how to do it

Rears are pretty easy, pull the brake rotors and you can see the axle flange. I think there was a a puller type press to get them out, you can use you old lug nuts to get the new ones seated. Fronts you have to pull the rotor. I was doing axles and bearings anyway so I did them while I had it all apart.

I will say with the 275/65/18's this truck drives so much differently. So smooth. I forgot how big of a difference crapped out tires can make on your drive quality.

Edit: Worth noting that when I went to pick the tires up, I filled up when I left and when I got back. Set my cruise at 60-65mph and got about 19mpg. That'll do pig, that'll do.

Last edited:
Had to move my 4Runner out of the way in the garage and of course the battery is dead from sitting. Rolled it too far back in neutral to be able to shut garage door. Wasn't sure what to do then it dawned on me that I have a leather clad Japanese tractor, so I used it to push the 4Runner back in enough to shut the garage.
I saw the 4Runner wheels and had to ask, 15" rims right? I found 4 (not 5) in a scrap yard in Dubai and I've been hunting for the 5th one ever since...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom