Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was so close to taking the plunge on one of these! Ultimately I decided to pivot to the new GX550. This will replace my LX570, and lack of remote charging infrastructure, reported repair costs, and (oddly) the short rear opening, dissuaded me. Though I do love how it drives and that Rivian went with a clamshell! (I’m seriously miffed at Toyota/Lexus for nerfing it)

I would love to hear more comparisons since you’ve now experienced the R1S and LX in depth!

If you could have only one, and your LX where trouble-free, which would you choose?

I'm really glad I don't have to make that choice :) I am really attached to the LX. It's built exactly how I want, proven, and it's at the stage of it's life that I don't worry about beating it up. I really can't imagine selling it, it only gets funner with age despite maintenance. However it's objectively a terrible daily driver with mods, armor etc.

In terms of driving dynamics—the Rivian is better in every single way. For haters who say EV's are soulless, I would say you are full sh**. 835hp, instant torque, huge super car brakes—it will embarrass almost anything and I'm running 34" knobby tires. The tech is 1000x better and so is audio system. It's slightly narrower inside than LX but more legroom, no transmission hump, and gobs more storage with false floor in the back and the frunk. It's within a few hundred pounds of my built LX but feels a thousand pounds lighter. Seattle and the west coast in general has great DC fast charging options so I never have range anxiety. And i just got notified about my NCAS adapter so will be able to take advantage of Tesla charging network too.

Both vehicles are BoF but LX feels more rigid, less fragile if that makes sense. My AHC is still in tact and has a slight edge over the Rivian's air suspension in terms of smoothness. Although I've had 3 ride quality updates OTA on the Rivian and I like it better now than when I got it in terms of ride quality.

For all of the LX's shortcomings (due to age, and self inflicted due to mods) I really enjoy putting miles on it and never hesitate to flog it offroad. It's only weakness are short parking garages and passing a gas station without stopping. I'm not there with the Rivian yet not because I doubt it's capability—its just that it's new, pristine, and shiny. And parts are still hard to get. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom