tranny tech 403-thats 4 on the tree! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are going to forgo all the original mounting holes in the firewall and drill a new set 1.5” higher?

So you are going to forgo all the original mounting holes in the firewall and drill a new set 1.5” higher?
Nope. Plan is to use the same mounting hole pattern but raise the portion over the trans. It looks like there’s plenty of room. I’ll just need to do some reforming of the tunnel where it meets the firewall portion of the flange. It works well in my mind so far….

Oh BTW, I don’t think FedEx will be able to scan the label you sent me.☹️

Oh BTW, I don’t think FedEx will be able to scan the label you sent me.☹️
Hopefully they can pick it up anyway or print when they get there? We will see.

Well I guess I lied; I got curious about the tunnel fit and started working on it. First order of business was to scrape all that stock mat off.
FF7F477D-01FF-4801-B6D3-558965417726.jpeg

After that I started patterning the flange that meets the tub. Something very alarming happened in this process: I had to use a goldfish crackers box instead of my preferred beer box for the pattern. This clearly means I have not been drinking enough beer lately and thus, too many cocktails. I’ll work on that in a bit. Anyhow, patterning.
9EA6896B-5C49-4599-961D-28F3B85717C3.jpeg
B7A5FD61-30A7-45E6-96D4-736CD4251C0A.jpeg

Transferred the patterns to steel and cut out with the plasma. I left about a 1/2” to the inside to bend upward for the tunnel to meet and weld to. This should enable me to make a bigger radius bend that looks more factory and also not weld directly on the corner.

FBEB7728-B001-4BB7-9D7A-C18FFCBC5478.jpeg

And the driver’s side piece roughly formed and laid in place.
20B7739E-72FD-4445-8DBD-70BDA6F22D44.jpeg

I know I would’ve been way ahead just modifying my stock tunnel to fit and in the end, I may do just that. I just have such a hard time cutting up stock parts that are in really good shape.

Probably about all the tunnel work I’ll get done today but I cut the rust off of the sacrificial tunnel and test fit it. Definitely needs to come up over the shifter.
8506AC45-B854-478E-8000-E68A1AC0D7AA.jpeg

So figured a spot that it wouldn’t be too hard to match the contours but still give me the height I need.
BCD69311-7BF9-4A05-ABDB-FF267238CE5C.jpeg

Cut and tack: check fit.
BC330410-847E-43BC-8935-C31EA4E32B10.jpeg
33BB38B6-B855-4C86-AC07-71E3C7324F26.jpeg

Then a little contour massaging and continual fitment checks and it’s starting to take shape.
C52B5A54-ABC0-4AB3-92DF-5D95425DCFBF.jpeg

Drivelines are back from getting lengthened/shortened.
BB36BA78-6F54-441B-AF5C-33AA8D27C20F.jpeg

Transfer case is rebuilt and mated to the transmission. Hoping to get it installed over the next few days.
DED156D4-81F8-4DF4-81CE-2AAFC06B77DB.jpeg

The 4 speed is in! It took way longer than it should’ve; kept bumping the release fork and bearing out of the way, etc.. Installed using a hoist through the trans hole but was by myself, using my foot to try and pump it. 92 degrees outside and 102 inside my metal pole shop doesn’t help either. But it’s in! Off to work but next 2 days when I find time will be hooking up and modifying any linkages, install drivelines and fuel tank back in. Hoping *HOPING* to test drive on Tuesday.
13D5EA07-AB28-41F3-ACC0-A123B5F86034.jpeg

EFF0794B-FC5F-4FAB-9BF6-1ECD96371EF7.jpeg

The 4 speed is in! It took way longer than it should’ve; kept bumping the release fork and bearing out of the way, etc.. Installed using a hoist through the trans hole but was by myself, using my foot to try and pump it. 92 degrees outside and 102 inside my metal pole shop doesn’t help either. But it’s in! Off to work but next 2 days when I find time will be hooking up and modifying any linkages, install drivelines and fuel tank back in. Hoping *HOPING* to test drive on Tuesday. View attachment 3074425

View attachment 3074430
Awesome!! Excellent work. Getting closer. :clap:

Took longer than expected today due to family visiting, trips to Ace for some bolts, etc. But…..
Success!!!!!!! I’ll post more thoughts and details tomorrow when I have more time, but it drives fantastic with the 4 speed and the column shift is very easy to navigate (especially if you’re used to the 3 on the column already).
Here’s a video of the first real drive. It’s loud and hot with no trans cover but you can see everything working.

Pretty rad how quick this came together. Bravo to @red66toy for undertaking this endeavor and brining Marks prototype to life!

This has been such a fun and crazy project. I can't wait to put it in my rig as well. @Skreddy has been phenomenal in getting it to this test point. Figuring out the tweaks that need to me made when using this adapter. @Bullzi and I spend way too many hours going back and forth to make the adapter as good as it can possibly be. He really hit it out of the park 3D modeling the adapter to speed up development. @TheNeek and @blbuck12 both did some 3D printing of adapter prototypes as well! @EWheeler and @DomSmith have been the best motivators to me to keep this moving. And a big thanks to @65swb45 for being crazy enough to dream this up and to make the initial prototype we built on. :clap: Real cruiser community effort here. :cheers: I know there are still a couple more things to figure out to make a full install (hump mod and linkages) and @Skreddy is on it. :steer:

This has been such a fun and crazy project. I can't wait to put it in my rig as well. @Skreddy has been phenomenal in getting it to this test point. Figuring out the tweaks that need to me made when using this adapter. @Bullzi and I spend way too many hours going back and forth to make the adapter as good as it can possibly be. He really hit it out of the park 3D modeling the adapter to speed up development. @TheNeek and @blbuck12 both did some 3D printing of adapter prototypes as well! @EWheeler and @DomSmith have been the best motivators to me to keep this moving. And a big thanks to @65swb45 for being crazy enough to dream this up and to make the initial prototype we built on. :clap: Real cruiser community effort here. :cheers: I know there are still a couple more things to figure out to make a full install (hump mod and linkages) and @Skreddy is on it. :steer:

Put me on the list for an adaptor if/when they go to production? TIA

Ben-

What do you think the best possible options are for the shift arm modification?

Harley piece that you used?
Modify existing piece?
Create a new part?

Any insight on what needs to be done vs the stock piece as it is?

Dom
Dom and all

While that is a good question, I think an even better question would be to wait just a little bit longer for @gonzopancho to finish work on the new headers.
When I fitted the header to the karma cruiser, EVERYONE said it couldn’t be done with the column shift linkage. It literally took 10 minutes to modify the stock pieces.
SO, since a fair number of folks are also considering headers, I think it would be time well spent to get it ALL worked out before they hit the street.

Definitely think patience is the ruler of the day and the greater success will be a larger number of folks being able to use the adapter which may also help reduce production costs?

Really I was looking for any info on what needs to be done to the shift lever. I must have missed that part.

Definitely think patience is the ruler of the day and the greater success will be a larger number of folks being able to use the adapter which may also help reduce production costs?

Really I was looking for any info on what needs to be done to the shift lever. I must have missed that part.

Here is a good comparison photo from post 111 of the modified motorcycle shift lever vs. the original.

I suspect the modification to keep the original unit would be sectioning and shortening the offset arm between the two parallel faces then welding/brazing back together. .

7CA72C79-CDA2-432C-978F-8F60019CFD1A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom