Towing an FJ40 w TH-350 Automatic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've "towed" with a 2012 Pilot and you've got bigger Cajones than I do. Is the few hundred extra dollars to have it transported worth risking something happening to you or worse someone else? There are alot of things that can be done but shouldn't.

There was definitely some major pucker-factor in the drive - but I had to move it. So it was either haul it, or drive it. Flat-towing wasn't an option at that point. I'm glad I hauled it - when I got it home, the radiator was half empty (water pump leak), the electrical system had multiple issues - partially due to bad grounds, bad alternator, starter motor, etc. The last thing I wanted to be was stranded in between Yuma and San Diego with an overheated engine (or worse).... so on the trailer it went.

I'm definitely gonna check out MudShip!

Agree - the flat-tow 1,000 miles makes me nervous on many levels, when for a few hundred bucks more than a trailer - I can get it shipped - safer (and better gas mileage too).

I think a flat tow for a rescue - or short trip would be fine. I am super concerned about mountain passes, brakes with 8,000 lbs of FJ, wind, semi-gusts, and frankly just don't want that thing starting to fish-tail at 60 MPH and wrecking either or both vehicles....

Thanks for all the input and advice!

Chris

There was definitely some major pucker-factor in the drive - but I had to move it. So it was either haul it, or drive it. Flat-towing wasn't an option at that point. I'm glad I hauled it - when I got it home, the radiator was half empty (water pump leak), the electrical system had multiple issues - partially due to bad grounds, bad alternator, starter motor, etc. The last thing I wanted to be was stranded in between Yuma and San Diego with an overheated engine (or worse).... so on the trailer it went.

I'm definitely gonna check out MudShip!

Agree - the flat-tow 1,000 miles makes me nervous on many levels, when for a few hundred bucks more than a trailer - I can get it shipped - safer (and better gas mileage too).

I think a flat tow for a rescue - or short trip would be fine. I am super concerned about mountain passes, brakes with 8,000 lbs of FJ, wind, semi-gusts, and frankly just don't want that thing starting to fish-tail at 60 MPH and wrecking either or both vehicles....

Thanks for all the input and advice!

Chris

I didn't mean to sound like I was scolding. Sometimes you gotta work with what you have available. Out of the options you listed, I liked the shipper route.

I've had decent luck with youship quotes too.

Last edited:
I use to flat tow my 40 on 35s with my V8 4Runner. I had no problem cruising down the highway, but had a terrible time with turns. You either have to take it really wide or lash/secure the steering wheel down. Your concerns with jack knifing are legitimate. Braking was ok when you had to time to prepare for it. I'd hate to find out what happened in an emergency stop. I actually jack knifed my rigs in a gas station parking lot while trying to pull up to a gas pump. Ground was wet from a fresh rain and I assume oil covered. Although I was going 2 mph, the Cruiser was too much for the weight of the 4Runner and it pushed me on around.

I'd vote trailer or shipping it.

U-Haul is telling me i can't use their trailer! I have essentially the same rig I need to tow from texas to New York!
U haul always asks what you're towing and towing with. I believe it's a liabilty issue. A friend almost rented a Uhaul till he told them a Defenderr 90 was going to be on it. They own the trailer, they said NO. It's not uncommon.

Yes. I was totally clear on hauling the fj40 with the Pilot on the auto trailer. It met their requirements....surprisingly.

View attachment 1442615
U haul always asks what you're towing and towing with. I believe it's a liabilty issue. A friend almost rented a Uhaul till he told them a Defenderr 90 was going to be on it. They own the trailer, they said NO. It's not uncommon.
what did you friend end up using? Or did they just lie about the vehicle going on the uhaul trailer?

He found a local rental place, rented a trailer and returned it when he was done.
I know some folks who were not 100% honest with Uhaul. Uhaul will not rent you a trailer if you show up with a less than capable vehicle to tow with too.

He found a local rental place, rented a trailer and returned it when he was done.
I know some folks who were not 100% honest with Uhaul. Uhaul will not rent you a trailer if you show up with a less than capable vehicle to tow with too.
got it! I will call around and see if any other UHaul offices are flexible on this. I need to get the FJ40 from Laredo TX to New York. I am down in mexico with it and will be flat towing it to the border but don't want to flat tow the entrie way back to New York.... I'd rather not spend a fortune on a car shipping company ($1,400).. If you or anyone else on here has some ideas please let me know! Thanks!

Buy a trailer or tow dolly, then sell it once you get to your destination. Trailers sell better than dolly's.fyi. Around here new basic trailers sell for a couple of grand.

Buy a trailer or tow dolly, then sell it once you get to your destination. Trailers sell better than dolly's.fyi.

What are your thoughts on flat towing? I know theres a lot of horror stories about it but a lot of people say i'll be fne. Its about 1,500 miles to the border. Should i flat tow or just drive the FJ40?

What are your thoughts on flat towing? I know theres a lot of horror stories about it but a lot of people say i'll be fne. Its about 1,500 miles to the border. Should i flat tow or just drive the FJ40?
Thats up to you. Sounds like you will have some experience on flat towing to the border. Ive periodically flat towed b4, its ok, but not optimum. There are many threads on here of folks buying a 40 and driving it home and writing about their trials and tribulations of their journey during the trip. You will most likely get plenty of support from the IH8MUD community if you run into problems either way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom