HJ45 Towing Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe Rocky has some ideas for your power issue

Last edited:
H/4 speed
PS
Did you ever have issue with top speed?
Mine can get to around 50 and a little over at best but with the engine winding out.
What seems like comfortable cruising speed is about 38mph,

PS
Did you ever have issue with top speed?
Mine can get to around 50 and a little over at best but with the engine winding out.
What seems like comfortable cruising speed is about 38mph,
Mine will happily go over 60mph unloaded

Mine will happily go over 60mph unloaded
Thanks
So something is definitely up with mine.
Haven’t had time to check the previously suggested possibilities but gotta do it somehow.

Thanks
So something is definitely up with mine.
Haven’t had time to check the previously suggested possibilities but gotta do it somehow.
Get a tacho and hold her at WOT, from memory 4150 rpm should be the governor.

I just did the spin the wheel and count driveshaft rotations.

Did it with the right tire off the ground, and then both.

Driveshaft went around twice for one tire rotation.
Am I right that this means I have 4:10 or 4:11?

Last edited:
As I understand it, the main options are 3.7:1 and 4.11:1.
So for example, for every 4.11 turns of the input shaft, the output (wheel) should turn once.
However.. if one wheel is locked, then the output will turn twice as fast because you have a differential in between.

This is why you've got around 2 turns on the input to one wheel rotation. The question is, was it 2.055 turns, or 1.85 turns?

I'm afraid that you might need to do it again more precisely - there isn't a lot between them.

As I understand it, the main options are 3.7:1 and 4.11:1.
So for example, for every 4.11 turns of the input shaft, the output (wheel) should turn once.
However.. if one wheel is locked, then the output will turn twice as fast because you have a differential in between.

This is why you've got around 2 turns on the input to one wheel rotation. The question is, was it 2.055 turns, or 1.85 turns?

I'm afraid that you might need to do it again more precisely - there isn't a lot between them.
From what I saw, it was 2 turns with one wheel up, and a little less with both.

But I still don’t think 4:11 would make it limited to such high revs at 50+ mph.

I’m out of work so I’ll have to wait to buy a tachometer.

From what I saw, it was 2 turns with one wheel up, and a little less with both.

But I still don’t think 4:11 would make it limited to such high revs at 50+ mph.

I’m out of work so I’ll have to wait to buy a tachometer.
4.11:1
Agreed it shouldn't limit that much.
I haven't tried the tacho app download, but it's free at least :)

If you have 31" tyres and 4.11 diff gears, you will theoretically hit the governor at ~4150 rpm at about 93 mph, assuming the H has enough power to push a 40 that fast, which is doubtful.
She definitely should do more than 50 mph on flat ground.

If you have 31" tyres and 4.11 diff gears, you will theoretically hit the governor at ~4150 rpm at about 93 mph, assuming the H has enough power to push a 40 that fast, which is doubtful.
She definitely should do more than 50 mph on flat ground.
My tires are Wildpeak M/T01
LT255 /85 R16
So more like 33s. I thought they’d give me a little extra speed but I can’t make out any difference from the smaller ones before-which I believe are 30s

Just an update. HJ45 is at the mechanic. He is finally getting to the rewiring. Said he's going to just patch it up first to get it running, so he can check other stuff first. I gave him the pdf manuals for the body and engine.

I think what I will do is get it running well, then once the important stuff is done regarding running, will likely swap out the transmission for a 5 Speed and the engine for another diesel. I am looking at the 1HZ, but no turbo at 6,500' elevation, and I like the high country, may be an issue.
Now I can't recall the turbo engine that was recommended. It wasn't the 1HDT, it was another one.
I want reliability.
There's a place called Safari Turbo that makes a turbo for the 1HZ that supposedly works fine and is safe. I have to do a good deal of research still.

1HD-T or 1HD-FT would be what I'd recommend if you're going to a 6 cylinder. You could also look at the 12HT as a potentially easier swap, but they're an old engine now and parts could potentially be a challenge.

Whilst a 1HZ will be better than the H engine, it's going to be very asthmatic at high elevation. A turbo helps, and the safari kit is a good kit, but it's always a battle to keep a turbo IDI engine cool, and every turbo 1HZ I've ever dealt with has run hot.

Lastly, you'll struggle to fit a H15# in the 40 series transmission tunnel without major surgery, these are the transmissions that Toyota provided behind the 1HD-# family. To make it easier, you can put a H55 behind a 1HD-# with the bell housing etc. from a HZJ7#, the H55 fits fine in a 40 series tunnel, but you'll need the HJ7# setup to make it fit a 1HD-#.

The H55 isn't as strong as a H15# but will hold up fine behind a stock or mildly worked 1HD-# if you have some mechanical sympathy and especially don't load it up in 5th.

Just an update. HJ45 is at the mechanic. He is finally getting to the rewiring. Said he's going to just patch it up first to get it running, so he can check other stuff first. I gave him the pdf manuals for the body and engine.

I think what I will do is get it running well, then once the important stuff is done regarding running, will likely swap out the transmission for a 5 Speed and the engine for another diesel. I am looking at the 1HZ, but no turbo at 6,500' elevation, and I like the high country, may be an issue.
Now I can't recall the turbo engine that was recommended. It wasn't the 1HDT, it was another one.
I want reliability.
There's a place called Safari Turbo that makes a turbo for the 1HZ that supposedly works fine and is safe. I have to do a good deal of research still.
Glad to hear that its finally on the mend. Good luck with it - hopefully it's warmed up a bit there by the time you get it back.

Howdy!
My HJ should be getting the electrical looked at and worked in this coming week. I'm not upset at waiting: gives me more time to save, and sort things out.
I have pretty much decided that it will get a 1HDT, an H55, and a split case. This could change if some special deal comes up that's woth it, but I agree that a turbo is needed at these elevations.

I am restarting a business of painting murals, so need to figure some things out with all this. May need to have an RV to travel, and would like to have the HJ with me, but it may be best to keep it in storage except for doing overland trips. Since I also have an FJC, that can be my daily driver.

One option I though of was to pull a small cargo trailer with my supplies and sleep in the HJ (once I do the AluCab conversion, etc.) , but I have two dogs and they can't be in the HJ for hours-even in a cool environment.

I could get a small travel trailer but now where do I put the supplies?

I am looking at RV options: something that can tow the HJ or the FJC on a trailer. I detest flat towing! A small trailer that can carry either the HJ or FJC could also serve as a little workshop when I pull the vehicle out. This would be nice because I also do leather craft, model building/props for theater-TV-Film.

Have thought of even a box truck converted to a simple type of RV. Tried it with a school bus and sold it because it was just too much, so that kind of cancels itself. I really don;t want to have to spend much time building stuff.

I don't want a massive RV and can;t afford that anyway. Would have to be used. Not sure what's gonna happen.

Maybe you need something like a race car trailer with sleeping/ workshop/ storage/ car space?
Or a modified horsebox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom