Tire air up & down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a thought:

Divorce my puma from the tank and put it in a 2nd battery tray under the hood, controlled with a switch on the dash. Run hose from compressor to tank mounted under truck somewhere. From tank, 4-way manifold running out to each corner of the truck with a quick disconnect mounted to each bumper corner. Then 4 small straight sections of hose to run from the bumper corner to the tire.

Everything is hard mounted except the 4 small hose sections that go to each tire (36" lengths or something like that). Minimal stuff to pack up.

I'm sure something like this has been done. I'm just trying to find a good way to hard-mount my puma so I don't have to schlep it around anymore :eek:
Not a bad thought, but a LOT of threaded connections to maintain and with a truck that flexes and moves and lots of thermal changed, the hard lines will leak. You don't want that on the trail.

I would consider it with hose, covered for high wear areas, but it must be well secured. Hoses made to length for each location.

Make sure to have valves near the distribution block for each line so you can isolate one line if necessary, especially if you depend on air for lockers.

Not a bad thought, but a LOT of threaded connections to maintain and with a truck that flexes and moves and lots of thermal changed, the hard lines will leak. You don't want that on the trail.

I would consider it with hose, covered for high wear areas, but it must be well secured. Hoses made to length for each location.

Make sure to have valves near the distribution block for each line so you can isolate one line if necessary, especially if you depend on air for lockers.

Maybe a kit like this would work well. Harder lines for durability but still flexible.

Alright it's been tested. Let me say, it's really easy to walk around and clip all (4) on then dump the air and stop to check pressure.

Filling with 1 connection point is also ez. Compressor seemed to like it / not having to turn on and off to check pressure and add to get all (4) tires same psi.

Set the hand throttle/ lock it then fill to the desired pressure, in my case 35psi.

The coiled hoses do take up additional room but the coil is nice since it stays off the ground and I didn't have to recoil it. Upon finishing, it semi auto coils back to compact. Went into the storage bag which fit nicely in the same wing'd compartment (robinsons drawer system) as the compressor. *It was too big to fit in the tailgate storage with the recovery gear.

Might need to get the @Outsane push on valve stem caps for a full easy user experience... nervous though, I would be bummed if a valve core failed and there wasn't a sealed cap to stop a leak. Just a thought.

I swear there was a vendor selling a hard mount for Puma Air Compressors in the 80 series. Went over the rear fender well.
It was @LandCruiserPhil , but I'm thinking he doesn't do them any more as he hasn't gotten back to me the couple times I asked about them. I'd buy one now if they're available, but if they're not, I'd rather get it out of the cargo area all together.

Speaking of valve caps.

I find that i don't loose these caps as often.

Plus when I get lost he knows the way.

IMG_20210214_162906_634.jpg

20210214_153907.jpg

I have been using a home-made version of that ....
Basically a tapped aluminum manifold, a ball valve, an air chuck, and I sprang for a nice fluid filled gauge.
Locking tire chucks and some Home Depot air line. If you don't use the plastic coiled crap, it just wraps up to a nice neat bundle.

All parts are available through Amazon now.

Air up and down all 4 at the same time and all tires equalize through the manifold.
Ditto...

3/8" OD hose and some brass pieces (a brass 1/4" NPT T and a ball valve) from Home Depot, 0-60psi gauge from Grainger, push-in T fittings from MacMaster Carr.
The trick seem to be the air chucks from NAPA - they have two edges to grab onto the valve stem, most others have only one. And I like these for connecting the air chucks to the hose:

Amazon product ASIN B07RBVN59B

I still air down one wheel at a time by taking out the valve cores; I'm too lazy to unpack & pack the hose system.

Last edited:
Well, as of day before yesterday I don't have any issues airing up any more either 😁😁👍

It's kind of hard to see in the video, but I haven't lost my AC. The AC compressor is moved down and further out, and uses the same custom length vbelt.

I screw these on and by the time I make it back around it’s maybe 1-2 minutes before I walk around and remove. I Air up 1 tire at a time, I can’t see how 4 airlines saves time airing up after taking out and putting that stuff away

About how much PSI goes down with a walkaround putting em on each tire and back to the first tire when you remove it?

in my experience, original Stauns work consistently - the cheaper copies, not so much (3 different Amazon versions tested against the Staun brand)

I use a home-made 4-wheel manifold system for airing up, much like @richardlillard1 and @ChaseTruck - I haven't seen @-Spike-'s system in person, but suspect it might be very similar

Last edited:
I like those valve caps.

I use one of these handy deflators.

download (7).jpeg

Readily available on your favourite trail, and not expensive at all. :lol:

Actually, most of the time I use a EZ deflator
Most of the time, I'll air down and just watch the sidewall deflect. I used to check pressures with the gauge as I went, but I've gotten pretty good at guessing psi, and found I'd regularly get all four corners equal within a couple of psi first try.

I'll shoot for about 20psi if I'm doing a lot of driving on forestry roads, or 12-15 if I'm on sand or wanting a bit more grip.

In those scenarios, a couple of psi here or there does not matter

I hate packing up hoses. I dislike the idea of packing up additional hoses.
Last trip I did, I was looking at how I can remove the short hose from my EZ deflator to make it more simple and compact. :lol:

I like to keep it simple.

I haven't seen @-Spike-'s system in person, but suspect it might be very similar
It was the prototype for Richard's, and several other people have jumped on the bandwagon since. My compressor connection is in the middle; his is at one end, otherwise the components are essentially the same. It's really been great, especially for airing back up at the end of the day.

Recently ordered an EZ-Flate compressor and quad inflation system. They're fairly new to the game but the price was right (it was cheaper a few weeks ago). Will report back once I receive the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom