Builds The Dentist - Turbo Diesel LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asutherland

VA7 HDT
Threads
Website
www.forgottenbc.ca
Hey everyone,

I know I haven't been on here much lately. I wanted to give an update as well as a build thread of sorts.

End-game spoiler pic...

20200129_125629.jpg

The Story: A few of you may know my HDJ81 "The Fat Lady" that I imported from Japan-land almost 10 years ago. Well, the Fat Lady has sang. Much to my surprise, not on some crazy overland adventure, not on some sketch 4x4 trail or some buggy trail in Sooke...

Early last January, just outside of my town here in BC, I took my family out for tobogganing and a campfire/hot dog roast. On the way back into town, we had an accident. Thank God (or whomever you thank) that no one was injured. I have 3 little girls, at the time the youngest was only 8 months old. We came around a corner on a well-plowed road. We had dedicated winter tires on, and were only doing about 40-45km/hour, which I didn't feel was too fast for the conditions. I was wrong.

As we swung around the corner, the right two tires fell down a few inches into a plowed-over shoulder. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically where the plow levels the road OVER the edge of the actual road, giving the illusion of road being when it's NOT. I made the mistake of trying to pull OUT of it, I should have just driven INTO it and ditched the truck. As the two right tires fell in, it grabbed, and swung us sideways down the road, up on 2 tires where we hung almost comically, (no one incl. me thought it was funny though) and PLOP over onto the side.

Had we been going faster, I have no doubt we would have rolled. It was almost graceful. But having my 3 little girls in the back, hanging from their car seats, screaming - it was the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced. My friend following in his tacoma was headed right for the cruiser's exposed belly - ready to t-bone us - but luckily he ditched it and did not hit us. An instant later he was on top of my driver's door, helping us out. I've never escaped out the top of a vehicle on it's side - it was actually a lot harder than I figured.

Once everyone was out, and checked over, we called my neighbours, who conveniently are also ALS Paramedics, out to pick up my wife and the girls and take them home. A couple kind red-necks with large Ford trucks happened behind us moments after, and helped winch the truck back onto it's tires.

I was happy I had the mind as the truck tipped to kill the ignition. I didn't have any doubts of it's ability to drive, however, I was concerned with ATF loss, and since we were so close to town and my wife has BCAA, we simply called a tow truck and had it dolly'd back to my house.

The next few days were 100% family days. Later in the week, my friend came over, we checked over everything we could, and turned her over. She started right up like nothing had even happened. The damage however cosmetic was significant, the flat rack had damaged the entire left side of the roofline, and no panel on the left was straight. After further inspection, other things were wrong.. the inside of the wheel well was all cracked up, the windshield had popped out, the doors on the left had all moved/damaged, and the ENTIRE ROOF-LINE had "shifted" slightly over.

IMG_7164.JPG

Last edited:
I knew the damage was more severe than originally it looked. After several visits to a few body shops and my insurance, ICBC, confirmed this. Estimated damage was over $20,000 :O

For almost 4 months I fought with my insurer on the value of the truck. I won't go into details on how much we eventually settled on, but let's just say after weeks of work proving value including having the local representative look it over, it was more than twice their original low-ball offer, and for a small fee I kept my truck for "Dismantle parts only". NEVER TAKE the first or even 2nd offer from an insurance company. Wait until it is fair. Also, don't forget that your vehicle is YOUR VEHICLE and not theirs to make decisions on until you sign it over to them. I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND having a professional appraisal done on your truck if it's modified and/or well maintained.

I then spent a couple more months searching online ads for a new truck. I wanted either a 40 anniversary or LX450. Something with the newer amenities, newer style dash, newer headliner, and something that would directly take my 1HD-T turbo diesel Toyota engine.

I came across a low-cost 97 LX450 in southern BC. Already BC registered, it was originally a Oregon truck. I took the chance and drove down with John Barron of Radd Cruisers (A good friend of mine) to look it over. It needed a good cleaning and some maintenance, but it had everything I was concerned with. A clean frame, a straight body, nearly zero rust, a decent interior. Never smoked in, and completely bone stock. So stock, in fact, that when I checked under the door sill plastic, the little "glue" spots on the clips had never been de-virginized.

It's suspension was a little sagged out, the front and rear bumpers were missing some paint, and the engine had a bit of a tick. It had no lockers. Absolutely no concern for my plans.

I nearly stole it on what I paid for it. Even came with a full set of extra OEM rims. Brought it home and drove it for a couple more months in stock condition, while I waited for Jason of Cruisin Off Road's schedule to open up for me.

20180406_152332.jpg

20180406_152321.jpg

20180406_152344.jpg

Last edited:
This build thread may seem a little out of order, but, I had some time waiting for Jason's shop to free up. I know it's obvious what the endgame is ;)

In the meantime..........

I did some easy peasy mods, things that I still wanted done though.

First thing I did was replace all the car seats with brand new ones.

IMG_20180221_084038.jpg

I had the truck fully detailed inside and out.

IMG_20180220_102049.jpg

IMG_20180220_102111.jpg

IMG_20180220_102121.jpg

I purchased a new (used) Lexus alarm fob as the previous owner didn't have one. He was quoted over $450 for one from the local dealer. I got one for $45 USD off eBay that I re-programmed in less than 2 minutes :)

IMG_20180302_132347.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a brand new OEM centre diff lock switch, and some other neat OEM switches.

I did the Pin7 mod for control of the CDL in low.

I put in the OEM extra pop-out cup holder.

I installed my Wilson cell booster and holder.

I installed the (missing) grab handle on the driver's side upper.

I moved the custom metal cargo barrier over from the '81.

I replaced all the dash bulbs (half of them were dead) and I swapped the USA climate control in those silly Fahrenheits for the 81's nice Celsius one.

20180418_084432.jpg

IMG_20180302_132254.jpg

IMG_20180302_132511.jpg

IMG_20180307_115119.jpg

IMG_20180317_135010.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased new Weathertech mats. ALWAYS wanted a set... never could buy them for the '81. Fitment is really awesome! One thing to note, the little screw-in clips that are included that you're supposed to use are pathetic. I bought 2 "oem dodge" ones from the local dealer for $3 ea, they clamp through and under the carpet and back to themselves and the clip is the PERFECT fit into the Weathertech mat. It's like it was designed for it.

20180929_165844.jpg

20180929_170014.jpg

20180920_145941.jpg

Previous to me someone had attempted to break into the LX and damaged the crap out of the silver and black metal window trim. I swapped over the ones from the '81.

I polished off the crappy fading oem "pin striping" too.

20180930_112853.jpg

IMG_20180216_130350.jpg

Next up while I waited... the stereo. I removed the (still oem!) Lexus head unit and door speakers. I swapped over the Pioneers from the '81, soldering the OEM LX speaker connectors on the new speakers. I actually have a thread on here somewhere about these Pioneer speakers and how they fit behind the stock grills.

IMG_20180311_160329.jpg

I wanted something a little different for the head unit. I had always had a very basic, single din "Cd player" type. This time I went for an Atoto deck, a dual-din true android touchscreen deck with full audio controls. It will run any Android app that you can run on a tablet. Meaning, I can run both backroad mapbooks on it as well as control my Dometic fridge with the Dometic app, and Bluetooth to my APRS vhf radio using the Byonics APRS TNC (see my Byonics APRS thread in the communications sub-forum on MUD here) This enables me to get real-time vhf repeater, weather and other active vhf users overlayed on the backroad maps via VHF only, in addition to real-time tracking of my truck on Google Maps APRS

IMG_20180223_093146.jpg

IMG_20180320_195646.jpg

IMG_20180223_121658.jpg

Combined.jpg

^these screenshots are from my phone, but you get the idea.

While I was at it, I transferred over the Pioneer sub and "Whole Hog" mounting bracket from the '81.

20181009_124354.jpg

I removed the useless Lexus OEM analogue telephone module. Don't forget to connect the wiring harness behind, or you'll lose your left-rear speaker! Using the OEM bracket, I mounted my Kenwood radio and APRS gear described above ^

20181031_152759.jpg

20181031_153934.jpg

I also moved over my cargo bars from the '81.

20181009_124338_001.jpg

That's enough for tonight. I promise my next update to this thread will be some real "meat and potatoes" as I summarize the events at Cruisin' Off Road..............................

546193430.jpg

Flop with the kiddos on board must have been a harrowing experience. I had a full-on rollover with a couple buddies in the car and all I could think about was their safety (everyone was fine)... can't imagine having little ones on board. I like where this is going :)

Andrew, good to see this thread started! I saw your old and new truck out at Jason's and know this is going to be interesting.
I'm impressed with the full power aprs unit, that's some dedication! I checked out your thread on it but sadly it looks like most of the pics have been lost.

Very interested to hear more on the head unit after you've used it a while as well.

Nice ham call sign!

Thanks Norm! Dropbox removed their public links and totally ****ed all my forum posts :(

Pics are still there, just the links don't work anymore. Sigh.

Sunday night story telling continues...

Now, I had several things to consider and debate when it came to my swap plan.

1. How much money could I afford to spend? This would depend on the results from my insurer. It was a long wait for that.

2. How long did I want it to take? It's my daily driver, and borrowing family/friends/random cars was taking a hit. I was also concerned with the "truck time vs. family time" as my, as most others, time is extremely limited and valuable. Having a wife, 3 little kids under 8, a house, property, and a full time job where my summers are spent running from fire camp to fire camp pulling 100+ hour work weeks... lends to not much spare time.

3. Do I have the mechanical know-how and ability to do it myself, or at the very least do it with assistance?

After many weeks of careful thought and consideration, I decided to hire Jason from Cruisin Off Road to perform the major components of the swap. I've known Jason for years and fully trusted his abilities as well as his honesty. I knew the job would be done right, which is what I wanted. I also knew it would mean I would end up with an exploration rig in a shorter period of time, and I wouldn't end up divorced........ and, to be quite honest, the thought of taking it on was intimidating.

I daily'd the stock gasser LX450 until the point where Jason had cleared up his shop schedule to fully take on my project. At which point I brought him both the LX450 and the poor broken HDJ81.

My project list for Jason included the following:

1. Remove the 1HD-T and solenoid-driven tranny from the HDJ81, clean it up, inspect all components and replace anything needed. This also included doing the Timing belt (I was only 14,000 km before the next change), water pump, Head gasket, new head bolts, full upper head gaskets and seals and whatnot.

20180731_140504.jpg

2. Remove the 1FZFE and gasser tranny from the LX450 and put it on a pallet for sale. I had it picked up from Jason's shop not long after.

3. Install the complete 1HD-T system into the LX450, retaining all normal factory functions of both the truck, and the engine.

IMG_6331.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

554946722.jpg

556569494.jpg

Last edited:
4. Transfer the locking rear axle from the HDJ81 onto the LX450. This included all the factory locking bits... switch, computer, etc.

IMG_5977_01.jpg

553815069.jpg

5. Remove the locking 3rd member from the HDJ81, rebuild it, and move it into the LX450 LHD front axle

6. Perform a full front-end job, replacing all wear items and ANYTHING that needed it, using parts from both axles.

IMG_5950.jpg

Last edited:
7. Transfer all Ironman suspension from the HDJ81 to the LX450. 4" springs, foam cell shocks, extended LCAs, caster correction plates, etc.

552940230.jpg

553815025.jpg

8. Transfer the diesel 3" stainless exhaust onto the LX450 and replace the split manifold gasket.

9. Transfer all new parts from the HDJ81, such as the high output (120 amp) Aussie alternator, new engine mounts, 2x brand new group 27 Polar Batteries, all bushings underneath were replaced with OEM a while back... etc.

10. Transfer the factory winch off the HDJ81 onto the LX450

11. Install all oem supporting components of the 1HD-T, such as the fuel hand primer/filter, all fuel lines, dual batteries, 12/24 switching system, etc.

20180916_125833.jpg

20180916_122101.jpg

View attachment 1856351

12. Change all fluids in and all belts on the truck.

Last edited:
But what's a good story without some tragedy?

Half way through the 1HD-T head gasket job, Jason calls with some bad news and a picture. A cracked piston! :frown: This actually didn't surprise me. When I first imported my HDJ81, the fuel screw was cranked right up to crazy-land... I could roll coal for blocks. I remedied this right away, however, it just goes to show you how the previous owner in Japan treated it.

IMG_5623.jpg

Well **** ***ing ****. An order to Partsouq for some OEM parts was needed. Firstly, Jason's machinist checks the bore etc to ensure an OEM sized piston is sufficient. It is, it's still well within the FSM spec of allowable size. And the cyl. wall is not damaged. He also checks the remaining pistons which are fine.

Partsouq order with the new piston and new piston rings comes in, along with some extras, new front window gaskets, some bits and bolts Jason needs, some connecting bushings, gaskets, belts, a new heat shield on the turbo, some oem TURBO decals for the rear quarter panels, and 18 new dash light bulbs.

551830469_01.jpg

551830609.jpg

At this point, we might as well do the BEB's again, so that's added to the list. Success and even bigger tragedy to come in my next installment! But for now, here's a pretty painted pan to lighten the mood.

551307036.jpg

Last edited:
While Jason was working on the lower end of the engine and starting in on the LX450/1HD-T wiring, he took the head into a trusted machine shop in the lower mainland. They called the same day with some VERY bad news. Worst kind of news you don't want to hear. A cracked head. Not just cracked, but multiple fractures, all throughout. :eek: IRREPARABLE fractures.

:worms::worms::worms:

The hunt for a new 1HD-T head started. Amazingly it was available new, from Toyota, in a number of places. @Akella came to the rescue and provided me not only the lowest price and lowest shipping but also the quickest. Thank you sir!

11101-17020.jpg

So the new head was delivered directly to Jason, who brought it into the machine shop to perform the setup of the valves and what-not.

IMG_5964.jpg

Shortly after, I was in the lower mainland to assist Jason with what I could...and got the joy of helping lift the brand new head onto the new head gasket and engine block. It was pretty. I worked on some wiring and the gauge cluster, while Jason started re-assembling the engine.

20180731_153234.jpg

I had originally intended on selling the Lexus gauge cluster and swapping in the HDJ81. I wanted KM/H, the diesel tach, the TURBO lights, etc.

However, once we dug into the wiring diagrams, we realized that the generation gap from 1993 to 1997 included a completely different setup on the cluster... it wasn't simply a matter of moving a few pins. 90% of the connections were wrong! And, the 93 didn't have a SRS light.

So I swapped the tach and speedo modules from the HDJ81 cluster into the LX450 cluster. It worked beautifully, they simply lined right up with what was required... the only thing I had to manually do was wire in 2 wires for the Boost and Overboost lights and a glow plug light. I used the Check Engine light for that, since...well, the 1HD-T doesn't have one of those... or even know what it is... haha

40392908_10160777076465273_3314745558781919232_n.jpg

Last edited:
Man, the 1HDT is awesome. Cracked piston with multiple cracks in the head and you didn't even know it till you took a look! Awesome. (and makes me wonder what the inside of my engine looks like... just doesn't make me wonder enough to look)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom