Which winch would you choose? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I've been putting off buying a winch for some time now, but after getting stuck in my own front yard yesterday, the time has finally come for me to place an order :eek:

fzjstuckinsoop.JPG

fzjstuckinsoop2.JPG

Now, I'm on a budget and the plan is to mount it behind the front OEM bumper for a stealth install, so a big hunky WARN 12K is out of the question :doh:

So far, I've narrowed it down to these two winches:

WARN M8K ($512.95)

M8000selfrecoverywinch.jpg

21.04" L. x 6.3" D. x 7.6" H.

Pull Rating by Layer:

1/8,000
2/7,280
3/6,670
4/6,230

Mile Marker SE12000C ($558.95)

42497_76-50151.jpg

22.1" x 6.5" x 7.3"

Pull rating by Layer:

1/12,000
2/10,200
3/8,400
4/7,300
5/6500

Going by the numbers alone, the Mile Marker is a clear winner, but I'm just not sold on the quality :hmm: (aren't MMs made in China?)

Another choice would be a SuperWinch EPi 9.0 ($565.91) :cool:

superwinch_epi9.jpg

23.35" x 6.26" x 7.13"

Pull rating by Layer:

1/9000
2/8000
3/6000
4/4000
5/2000

Price sounds right (especially since it comes with a 20k snatch block) and it's made in the USA, however, I'm not sure if the high top would pose a problem for mounting behind the OEM bumper :hmm: (is it removable?)

Also, the pull/turn lever might be a pita to reach through the rectangle access hole in the bumper :eek: (anyone know if the end cap can be re-clocked 90* to the front?)

Which would you choose and why?

I'm also open to other suggestions if you may have them :)

Rick

Last edited:
Hydrolic MM's are USA made. Or you could go my route.

I like the hydro because they are a constant pull and will not overheat like a electric. I have a electric 12K T-max now and am not happy. Sure the eng. needs to be running for the Hydro to work but your not gonna pull very far with a electric with out the engine running anyway.

Nutin says "I'm a dick" like getting stuck in your own yard!!

It's happened to me twice!!!!! ...LOL :D:eek:;p:lol:

Sorry for the hijack, couldn't resist. How about a hitch mount job or would you want to leave it mounted all the time?

My vote is for the Superwinch. If I don't go with a dedicated hydraulic setup a Superwinch will be installed They have decent capacity for a great price relative to Warn or T-max. I'm a little leery of electric MM winches they do not seem well received on any board.

Hydrolic MM's are USA made. Or you could go my route.

I like the hydro because they are a constant pull and will not overheat like a electric. I have a electric 12K T-max now and am not happy. Sure the eng. needs to be running for the Hydro to work but your not gonna pull very far with a electric with out the engine running anyway.

LOL

Think she can pull the weight of a loaded 80? ;)

I'd love to have the power of a hydraulic, but they do have their drawbacks as well :eek:

1) Price (I'm on a budget here)

2) Engine must be running (not good when you take a dive through a deep watercrossing and shut down on purpose to avoid a hydrolock)

3) No Power Steering (there are times when you need to steer around an object instead of the angle of pull)

4) And as Tired iron would say, they don't work upsidedown ;)

Anyhoo, after spending on some on SW's site, I'm now leaning towards the EP9.0 :cool:

EP9.0 9,000 lbs EP Series 4x4 - Superwinch

It basically has the same pull rating as the EPi9.0 that SF posted above, but instead of a large solenoid bridge, it has a removable noid pack with waterproof noids :cool:

DSC08168.jpg

It's slightly lighter (108 vs. 114lbs.) and also slightly cheaper ($553.86 vs. $565.91), however, it only comes with a 100ft. cable instead of a 125ft. :hmm:

Still looks like quite a deal though :grinpimp:

Gunna do some routine PM tomorrow, so while she's up on the lift, I'll take some measurements to see if it'll fit :)

It's slightly lighter (108 vs. 114lbs.) ... it only comes with a 100ft. cable instead of a 125ft.

Maybe that's the six pounds of weight savings...:flipoff2:

I would look at Ramsey as well.

Maybe that's the six pounds of weight savings...:flipoff2:

I would look at Ramsey as well.

I didn't even think of that lol :doh:

Anyhoo, I did some measuring today and I've got 25" between the frame rails to play with, but the height is kinda limited to about 7.5" due to the tranny cooler :hmm:

That being said, the SuperWinch EPi9.0 with the bridge won't fit, but the EP9.0 with the removable noid pack will :cool:

Also, it looks like the clutch end can be re-clocked 90*, so I'd be good to go for access through the front of the bumper :)

DSC00581.jpg

As for Ramsey, I checked their site and it seems all of their winches have a bridge :frown:

Hi All:

Well, within your budget I'd vote for one of the Superwinch models (I have an old X9 on my FJ40.)

That said, for a big rig like a 80 Series a 10 or 12 K electric winch is really the way to go. Warn, or a Ramsey RE series, or the Superwinch Husky models will work well.

Regards,

Alan

I'm a truck acc. installer. In my opinion you cant beat a warn, get a warn w/ exteral solinoids and you add some long leads between the solinoids & motor for endless mount options, parts are easy to find , free schematics online for the diy's. WARN's all we install.

Well, I've decided against the Mile Marker :eek:

Even though it has a better listed pull rating for the money, the reviews I've read have been somewhat hit or miss :frown: (not a gamble I'm willing ot take)

The WARN M8K is the least expensive of the bunch by a small margin, but at the cost of 1000lbs. less pullin power than the SuperWinch :eek:

The EP9.0 looks to be the best bargain of the bunch with 1000 more lbs. of pull and it also comes with a 20k snatchblock :)

As for the Tabor line, I contacted Warn and requested a spec sheet for each of Tabors a while back and this is what I got for a reply:

Rick

The Tabor is designed to complete with entry level winches coming in from overseas, no performance specs are available

Tom Ewing

Customer Service

I don't mean to sound skeptical, but have a feeling the specs aren't listed for a reason :hmm:

From my personal experience, I say go with Warn and then keep a snatch block handy. A buddy of mine has a Superwinch on his truck but it was a Husky model. Either way, the SW 9K looks very decent to me too, as long as it is made in the USA! :)

If you are going to put it under your OEM bumper, I'm sure you neeed to do some mod to it. I can hardly see it fit in there w/o any work.

Good luck!

should have just switched on the lockers and drove right out...hahahah...yea right. That's what everyone thinks in the 80's board.

My vote for your budget is the t-max 12,500 lb. You can buy a T-max, just re-badged by summit to your door for around $600.

...The WARN M8K is the least expensive of the bunch by a small margin, but at the cost of 1000lbs. less pullin power than the SuperWinch :eek:

The EP9.0 looks to be the best bargain of the bunch with 1000 more lbs. of pull and it also comes with a 20k snatchblock :)

I would take a look at your line-pull ratings again. You are comparing pull strength by looking at the 1st layer of line. Although this is how winch strength is advertized, it is not the best way to compare strength and pull power.

I compare pull power based on the last wraps of the line. Most of the time I use a winch it is fairly short pulls. I rarely have 150 ft of line spooled out and in fact most manufacturers recomend having at least one layer of cable left on the spool. Having said that, if you compare the Superwinch to the Warn, you will see that the last wrap of the warn actually has a higher pull rating than the the last three wraps of the superwinch.
... Just an FYI since you are making your decision on pull strength.

should have just switched on the lockers and drove right out...hahahah...yea right. That's what everyone thinks in the 80's board.

My vote for your budget is the t-max 12,500 lb. You can buy a T-max, just re-badged by summit to your door for around $600.

LOL

All the lockers did was make sure I got an even coat of mud on each tire :doh:

As for the Summit winch, it won't fit behind the OEM bumper with the solenoid bridge and I'm not completely sold on the fact that the Summit units are as good as the actual T-Max units :meh:

I'm sure they share many components (as many photos have shown), but I'd like to know where the shortcuts were made to bring manufacturing costs down :hmm:

I would take a look at your line-pull ratings again. You are comparing pull strength by looking at the 1st layer of line. Although this is how winch strength is advertized, it is not the best way to compare strength and pull power.

I compare pull power based on the last wraps of the line. Most of the time I use a winch it is fairly short pulls. I rarely have 150 ft of line spooled out and in fact most manufacturers recomend having at least one layer of cable left on the spool. Having said that, if you compare the Superwinch to the Warn, you will see that the last wrap of the warn actually has a higher pull rating than the the last three wraps of the superwinch.
... Just an FYI since you are making your decision on pull strength.

Good point :cool:

On mine the Summit stickers were laid right over the top of the T-max stickers

barrypt5

LOL

All the lockers did was make sure I got an even coat of mud on each tire :doh:

As for the Summit winch, it won't fit behind the OEM bumper with the solenoid bridge and I'm not completely sold on the fact that the Summit units are as good as the actual T-Max units :meh:

I'm sure they share many components (as many photos have shown), but I'd like to know where the shortcuts were made to bring manufacturing costs down :hmm:

Good point :cool:

I only see 1 T-max winch listed on summit. It's the 10K integrated. I know they were there a month ago, but for some reason not listed. That or I can't find it :)

I personally own two Warns, but a friend of mine is sold on his Chicago Electric winch he bought at Harbor Freight. Can't beat the price and he has had it several years now.

I personally own two Warns, but a friend of mine is sold on his Chicago Electric winch he bought at Harbor Freight. Can't beat the price and he has had it several years now.

Funny...my friend has the Harbor Freight 9000lb and 50% of the time it works 100%. YEs, thats correct wording. I wouldn't trust it honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom