This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Just trying to find when my timing belt was done / is due and can’t seem to find any information

There is however a Japanese sticker that says replace every 100,000

It’s 25 years old with no history prior to import and has 71k on the odomiter

Would I need to change the belt regardless due to age? Or do these vehicles need belt replacement based on mileage rather than age please? Thanks

FE8915AF-04A9-43BB-A019-6488B41036D9.png

Yes, you should replace. The interval is 90k miles OR 108 months, whichever comes first.

90K mile in all print I've seen. I've seen both 7yr and 9yr.
If not a VVT, I don't worry to much on miles. If not in extreme environment, I don't worry to much about years.

Belt can easily be inspected. By remove BK2 timing belt cover.

If I see Toyota T-belt or other than Aisin Stickers. I then have concerns, pulleys have not been replaced. So I dig into history. If no records of pullies done. I do a T-belt service. If pulley bearings, making sounds. I do a T-belt service

If water pump leak. I do a T-belt service.

Last edited:
OEM toyota belt can last 15 years or 100K miles. Mitsuboshi belt can easly last about the same life span. However, if you see any aftermarket belts. replace it every 5 years. My gates belt at 50K miles had cracks that I usually see on a 150K mile driven OEM belt.

Thanks for these replies!

Trying to book in with local Toyota Lindop place for a price to do it for me see what the price is like. If it’s crazy money I’ll research doing it myself

My LX470 is 22 years old and 69K miles. The worry I have is if I take it in for this repair will something get Fubared,

My LX470 is 22 years old and 69K miles. The worry I have is if I take it in for this repair will something get Fubared,
The Fubarring might happen if you don't get it done. It's a relatively easy job and I rest easier knowing mine's been done twice.

Are you located in UK?
I got the timing belt done by myself for the first time on a V8 and happy to report all went well. It has been 8 years and running strong. When you do it by your self, you know the job is 100% done right. If someone else do it, I do not feel confident of the job and does not give me the peace of mind. 99% of those techs in the service departments are just wrenching.

Last edited:
Run to failure. Something will fail before that belt does. :flush:

That is my thinking too. When I hear a pulley grumbling or the Water Pump leaking or squeaking, time to address it all.

Run to failure. Something will fail before that belt does. :flush:
One of my Lexii currently has 305k miles on timing belt, water pump, etc.

I helped a buddy but a belt on his '02 Tundra at 135K, in 2022 (20 year old belt - which was original). The belt had some rips in the fibers in two separate spots. The rips were on the underside of the belt, and not something you'd catch easily by removing one of the inspection covers and giving it a quick look. You'd need to look at the underside of the belt and spin the engine through it's entire 4-cycle rotation to find these spots.

Interestingly, the truck ran way better after the belt change! Power was improved and it sounded better as well. The belt was a bit on the loose slide when we removed it, so I think it had stretched beyond what the tensioner could easily handle and allowed for some slop in the cam timing. I'd personally replace the belt at no more than 15 years or 100K. It's an easy and cheap enough job to to, especially given Aisin kits are only $250 or so on Rock Auto. Any competent mechanic or DIYer can do this job.

Was this belt at the risk of immediate failure? Probably not. Would I want it running in my rig? Under no circumstances.
20220327_170526 (1).jpg

20220327_170538 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I, occasionally see minor T-belt damage. Mostly on gates belts or some off brand. Fays on good belts, seems to be related to excessive containments (dust) in T-belt area and or failing components.

I almost always see weeping (usually minor) water pump, bad bearings in one or both pulleys and weak T-belt tensioners. In addition, most have factory fan brackets along with drive belt tensioner and its pulley & idler bearings. I also find some pitting on block under water pump gasket.

I did a VVT timing belt service, this week. On a very clean Colorado 06 w/180K. It had a Toyota T-belt sticker, which usually means only belt and water pump replaced at Dealership. All I listed in last paragraph were factory, either bad or on they way out, except T-belt.

Replacing all these components, make for an expensive T-belt service. But if any sign they're on the way out. Doing so, makes reliable for the next 90K miles. One where, these components will not likely be a failure point 500 miles from nowhere.

Additionally, cleaning up and filling pits on block. Slows, maybe even stop the block erosion underwater pump gasket.

It's about how reliable, how well you want engine to run and for how long you want it so!

Your belt can look mint but what if the tensioner fails?
This is the original 237k mile belt in my ‘05 Tundra. It’s getting changed next weekend even though the truck runs perfectly, no leaks, etc. It’s not worth risking.

IMG_5083.jpeg

Your belt can look mint but what if the tensioner fails?
This is the original 237k mile belt in my ‘05 Tundra. It’s getting changed next weekend even though the truck runs perfectly, no leaks, etc. It’s not worth risking.
Yikes. I'll be curious as to what the bottom of that belt looks like being that it's cracked at all of the ribs. Based on the 135K example, perhaps the fibers start to break, leading to eventual progression towards your 237K example. From my 135K example. I would also be surprised if yours does not run quite a bit better given all the cracking has likely stretched the belt beyond what the tensioner can accommodate.

Coming from the EJ25 world prior to the UZ, I was already used to timing belt changes. Mine was changed at 135K - right before I got the rig (by a Toyota dealer), but you can bet I'll change it at 235K.

To the other @2001LC point, the Tundra belt I posted did have quite a bit of dust on the front of the block (seemed to be dust from belt wear). We replaced all the pulleys, idlers, etc.

Yes, you should replace. The interval is 90k miles OR 108 months, whichever comes first.
Agree, and make sure you replace your water pump while you are in there whether it is leaking or not. It is coming off during the belt change so put a new one on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom