Timing Belt Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, we are new here,

My 1998 LC Beulah has busted her timing belt and my mechanic isn't interested in replacing it, he says "it's too old"...! He doesn't know Beulah for the last 15 yrs like I do. It's a love affair really and now both of our hearts are broken. She does have 330K mi. on her with some rust here and there but I know she's not done. Last time I drove her down the road she was still on point until she quit. Thought the fuel pump was the problem so it was replaced then mechanic said it was the timing belt. I'm trying to find a mechanic that is familiar with LCs that would be interested in replacing the timing belt. I need someone that loves and understands LCs that is willing to get her on the road again. I'm in upstate NY between Albany and Catskill area but am not familiar with a mechanic that can or will do this job. All suggestions of possible interested parties are truly welcome.

Thanx,
Beulah and Lorelei

If no private mechanics in your area, Toyota $tealership does this. Its a routine PM thing. I would evaluate and replace not just timing belt, replace all idlers, interior pulleys, water pump, cam seals, etc.

Thanks for your reply, I am doing my best to avoid the $tealership but will get a guesstimate just to see and I would replace all the things!

Thanks for your reply, I am doing my best to avoid the $tealership but will get a guesstimate just to see and I would replace all the things!
There is an awesome guy in your area, but look little too far for you. Eric O (South main auto) 47 S Main St, Avoca, NY 14809

If no private mechanics in your area, Toyota $tealership does this. Its a routine PM thing. I would evaluate and replace not just timing belt, replace all idlers, interior pulleys, water pump, cam seals, etc.
If experienced, what was an estimate cost if sent to a Toyota dealer for timing belt, water pump, idlers?

If experienced, what was an estimate cost if sent to a Toyota dealer for timing belt, water pump, idlers?
For reference, I just paid $1600 for TB, WP and a couple idler pulleys on my 268K mile 100 series. This was at a Toyota dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. They did the same back at 180K miles (about 9 years ago) and it was $1150 then.

Some dealerships are more competitive in their pricing than others. This one happens to be relatively fair on major services, compared to independent shops around here.

Point being, give your nearest Toyota dealership a call and see where they come in. The ones in upscale suburbs are not always as bad as you'd think, and they are more likely to have a lots of 100s come through over the years.

For reference, I just paid $1600 for TB, WP and a couple idler pulleys on my 268K mile 100 series. This was at a Toyota dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. They did the same back at 180K miles (about 9 years ago) and it was $1150 then.

Some dealerships are more competitive in their pricing than others. This one happens to be relatively fair on major services, compared to independent shops around here.

Point being, give your nearest Toyota dealership a call and see where they come in. The ones in upscale suburbs are not always as bad as you'd think, and they are more likely to have a lots of 100s come through over the years.
That's a great example. 1600 ain't too bad. I hired a local cruiser shop to do mine and it was 575$ if I included parts. This was in SoCal so pretty expensive market for labor. I was pretty pleased.

Hi All, we are new here,

My 1998 LC Beulah has busted her timing belt and my mechanic isn't interested in replacing it, he says "it's too old"...! He doesn't know Beulah for the last 15 yrs like I do. It's a love affair really and now both of our hearts are broken. She does have 330K mi. on her with some rust here and there but I know she's not done. Last time I drove her down the road she was still on point until she quit. Thought the fuel pump was the problem so it was replaced then mechanic said it was the timing belt. I'm trying to find a mechanic that is familiar with LCs that would be interested in replacing the timing belt. I need someone that loves and understands LCs that is willing to get her on the road again. I'm in upstate NY between Albany and Catskill area but am not familiar with a mechanic that can or will do this job. All suggestions of possible interested parties are truly welcome.

Thanx,
Beulah and Lorelei
If you have $2k, I'd let the dealership do it, and don't be too mad about $2k. I did this job for the first time, as a novice, and it took me 16 hrs. A good professional mechanic who does them all the time will do it in probably 4 to 6 hrs. would be my guesstimate. It took about all the concetration I had to do it right, and I studied OTRAMM (YouTube guy out of Virginia) like I was studying for the bar. I'm rooting for your LC to make it to 500k, and I hope you'll share with us all the work you'll have had to do to get it there.
Hmm... Also, curious to know how fast you were moving, and did the belt snap? There is great debate over if the older LC's get valve to piston damage when the belt goes on them. From everywhere I've read, I'm going to say you are probably ok... but I'm not sure, so don't go by what I say..

Has anyone cross-shopped at Toyota vs. Lexus dealers? I suspect Lexus dealers have more experience with the 100 series, considering more LX470 were sold in the later years of the series' production.

Hi All, we are new here,

Thanx,
Beulah and Lorelei

Just did a timing belt, water pump service at a Toyota Dealership in Southern US for $1400, was ready same day. Toyota/dealer is a fair option if OP goes that route.

The 2UZ is an interference engine, if it was me, I would do a thorough inspection before buying any parts to replace the above-stated items others have pointed out. I didn't see anybody mention this, nor if I missed it, you have not stated it in your post.

The 2UZ is an interference engine, if it was me, I would do a thorough inspection before buying any parts to replace the above-stated items others have pointed out. I didn't see anybody mention this, nor if I missed it, you have not stated it in your post.

Only the VVT version in 2006 and 2007 is an interference engine. OP has a 1998 model.

Only the VVT version in 2006 and 2007 is an interference engine. OP has a 1998 model.
I'm not the first person on a forum who has replied to such a statement as yours with....:popcorn:

Has anyone cross-shopped at Toyota vs. Lexus dealers? I suspect Lexus dealers have more experience with the 100 series, considering more LX470 were sold in the later years of the series' production.

Maybe but these engines were also used in the Tundra, Sequoia, 4Runner so that can lead to a lot more exposure at a Toyota dealership vs. Lexus

Slight differences but all will be similar for the service

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom