This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Belt dust itself, would have little effect on T-belt. Road dust or silt from river water, is sand. Sand acts as abrasive, which can damage T-belt.

The timing belts covers do a decent job at sealing out dust. But they're certainly not air or water tight. So where driven and how a well covers assembly last time someone did a T-belt service, matters!

I very often find opening from missing bracket for wire hangers. Number one missing, is hanger for cam sensor wire. Shops in a hurry, just rip them out, busting them. They do not take the time to replace and install. This one and others missing, leave opens into belt area.

Belt dust itself, would have little effect on T-belt. Road dust or silt from river water, is sand. Sand acts as abrasive, which can damage T-belt.

The timing belts covers do a decent job at sealing out dust. But they're certainly not air or water tight. So where driven and how a well covers assembly last time someone did a T-belt service, matters!

I very often find opening from missing bracket for wire hangers. Number one missing, is hanger for cam sensor wire. Shops in a hurry, just rip them out, busting them. They do not take the time to replace and install. This one and others missing, leave opens into belt area.
The Tundra has a squeaky-clean belt area (and belt itself, which showed no side of abrasion), outside of the belt dust. IMO these belts have a finite lifespan and will start to degrade sometime between the 10-20 year mark, regardless of the mileage.

I'll be curios as to what mine looks like when I crack it open 60K from now, as my rig gets in a lot of water crossings.

The hanger as I called it. Keep in mind. On most wire housing blocks and brackets. Look hard and you'll find 5 numbers (suffix). It's the last five of P/N. Wire Housings all have same first five numbers (prefix) 90980-*****. Brackets, clamps, hangers most ae 82711-
015.JPG

Reactions: GTV
The hanger as I called it. Keep in mind. On most wire housing blocks and brackets. Look hard and you'll find 5 numbers (suffix). It's the last five of P/N. Wire Housings all have same first five numbers (prefix) 90980-*****. Brackets, clamps, hangers most ae 82711-
View attachment 3552300

Added to my cart, they are proud of that thing!

Thank you sir!

My LX470 is 22 years old and 69K miles. The worry I have is if I take it in for this repair will something get Fubared,
Doing the timing belt in a 100 series is a PITA, even Toyota mechanics will tell you so, but it will save you some big bucks. Youtube has some great videos that will help. You can buy a complete parts kit from Amazon with all OEM parts for a bit under $300. You’ll also want a pulley removal tool (Amazon) and you’ll need a torque wrench that can do around 200 lbsft if I recall. I found removing the radiator made the belt change easier, but added a little time. It’s a good opportunity to do a complete cooling system flush.

I would recommend against getting the T-belt kit on Amazon. There have been reports of potential fakes on here. The Aisin kits used to be sold on Rock Auto, but appear to have potentially been de-listed. Several legit Land Cruiser builders sell the genuine Aisin kit for <$300. It's not worth the risk for a critical part like a T-belt, given just how many fake parts are floating around on Amazon/eBay.

I would recommend against getting the T-belt kit on Amazon. There have been reports of potential fakes on here. The Aisin kits used to be sold on Rock Auto, but appear to have potentially been de-listed. Several legit Land Cruiser builders sell the genuine Aisin kit for <$300. It's not worth the risk for a critical part like a T-belt, given just how many fake parts are floating around on Amazon/eBay.
When I did mine last year I searched quite a bit about sources where to get the parts..

Some Amazon sellers were a bit sketchy.

Got mine from Amazon and made sure I’m getting a good one, the seller is called The Aisin Store, not sure if it’s just the name..

As soon as the parts arrived I checked everything and it looked perfect.
No issues on installation, the TKT-021 was $183, Mitsuboshi belt and NTK bearings. The fan bracket FBT-002 was $118..(that’s for the 2005 LC, verify part #s)..

All legit, double check on the seller and inspect parts within the return window.

BTW, the fact that Amazon might be cheaper doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get it from other vendors, including forum vendors.. just my personal experience here..

Also, you might need additional parts for the job, maybe some aren’t offered by Amazon or maybe rockauto doesn’t have the OEM you might be looking for.

Keep an eye on the seals! If you’re replacing cam or crank seals, probably better to order from Toyota, lost 2 hours while doing mine BC of an aftermarket seal received from Partsouq..

When I did mine last year I searched quite a bit about sources where to get the parts..

Some Amazon sellers were a bit sketchy.

Got mine from Amazon and made sure I’m getting a good one, the seller is called The Aisin Store, not sure if it’s just the name..

As soon as the parts arrived I checked everything and it looked perfect.
No issues on installation, the TKT-021 was $183, Mitsuboshi belt and NTK bearings. The fan bracket FBT-002 was $118..(that’s for the 2005 LC, verify part #s)..

All legit, double check on the seller and inspect parts within the return window.

BTW, the fact that Amazon might be cheaper doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get it from other vendors, including forum vendors.. just my personal experience here..
You certainly can get good/legit OEM parts from Amazon. I've also had legit counterfeit parts show up before (that was eBay - and it was a timing belt, but for a Subaru). Once you get burned once by a counterfeit part, it sticks with you for life. In my opinion it's not worth the risk, some of the fakes are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom