Tightening steering slop... Adjustment screw or something more? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I have been trying to work out the steering slop in my 1996 LX450... I can move the wheel 2-3 degrees in either direction with no pitman arm movement at all. This happens with the car running or not. Is this addressed with the adjustment screw, or is this indicative of a worn gearbox?

What did they charge and how long did it take?

Looks like the current price is $426 + Shipping. This is the cost IF they had a rebuilt one in stock, but they don't, so it's a "custom" rebuild. When I talked to them they said it was that price plus and parts that they might have to replace...

Turn the wheels nearly all the way left or right. Does the steering wheel still have the same play? If its tight, don't mess with the preload screw. If the steering wheel is still loose, you might gain something from slightly tightening the screw. The downside to messing with the screw is that you can easily exceed the bearing preload and cause further damage to the gearbox.

Took a week. Mine was an extra 150.00 due to sector shaft being bent, they had to provide a new one..

635.00 for mine total w/ shipping and tax. (w/new sector shaft)

But the cost to rebuild is 395.00 then + shipping and your states tax.
What else did they do for $395? FSM states 40mm of play is the allowable play in the steering wheel.

Replace 44120-60180 and do the rest of the box with an OEM rebuild kit. All slop gone. And you don't even have to play with your balls.

What else did they do for $395? FSM states 40mm of play is the allowable play in the steering wheel.
They hand pick the balls - there's only a few different sizes typically floating around for rebuild kits. They have over 40 different sizes...They delete the Pitman arm bushing and bore it out and set a neddle bearing there. Everything washed and painted (i choose black) New seals, they used a new OEM sector shaft, as they're putting everything back together its all mic'd to check tolerances, they set the preload and mark it so you don't have to deal with that either. All their parts are either made in USA or for our Toyota boxes is OEM.

If i wanted to add ram assist they would have ported the box for that as well.

Do you pay for return shipping or is that part of the rebuild price?

It’s including. They will give you a shipping label with your original invoice.
Forgot to mention, the nut on the adjuster screw was loose so it spewed put all its fluid up top one evening driving to SoCal. I tightened it up really well and seems to be holding fluid just fine now.

After acquiring a salvaged steering gear and considering rebuilding my own 105 upgrade to learn. I spoke with redhead and was totally sold on their work. Ended up sending it to them for the rebuild and found a 105 pitman for $100 shipped from Dubai. They took less than a week to complete the rebuild and it’ll arrive tomorrow. After @enox feedback, damn I’m excited to get this thing on in a few weeks. Sounds like results are better than a new truck coming out of production in the 90s 😂

I’ve also seen a few IG folks rave about the results of a redhead rebuild.

After acquiring a salvaged steering gear and considering rebuilding my own 105 upgrade to learn. I spoke with redhead and was totally sold on their work. Ended up sending it to them for the rebuild and found a 105 pitman for $100 shipped from Dubai. They took less than a week to complete the rebuild and it’ll arrive tomorrow. After @enox feedback, damn I’m excited to get this thing on in a few weeks. Sounds like results are better than a new truck coming out of production in the 90s 😂

I’ve also seen a few IG folks rave about the results of a redhead rebuild.
You're gonna be really happy! Let us know your feedback after installation. 🙌

check your couplings too.mine has excessive play at 45209-60070

check your couplings too.mine has excessive play at 45209-60070
That's the flex disk under the dash near the firewall, right? Where were you seeing the extra play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom