Tightening steering slop... Adjustment screw or something more? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's the flex disk under the dash near the firewall, right? Where were you seeing the extra play?
That's the u-joint coupling at the gear box.

check your couplings too.mine has excessive play at 45209-60070

That's the flex disk under the dash near the firewall, right? Where were you seeing the extra play?
there are two couplings.check both.mine had play at the lower coupling.the one that attaches the shaft to gearbox

Finally got my steering box from RedHead running and @enox is absolutely correct- 0 slop at all. Nice and tight, so much less fatigue without having to adjust constantly on high speed. Holds high speed turns and straight lines solid without any play at all. Looking back, this should have been the very first thing I did to the 80 when I got it.

Finally got my steering box from RedHead running and @enox is absolutely correct- 0 slop at all. Nice and tight, so much less fatigue without having to adjust constantly on high speed. Holds high speed turns and straight lines solid without any play at all. Looking back, this should have been the very first thing I did to the 80 when I got it.
It really is a massive improvement 👍

Did RedHead have to install any new parts, or could they just rebuild using the original ones? In other words, did it cost you more than the "normal" rebuild cost?

Did RedHead have to install any new parts, or could they just rebuild using the original ones? In other words, did it cost you more than the "normal" rebuild cost?
The fee covers using your old existing rebuildable parts and them using larger bearings, oem seals, and other new hardware. As long as your shaft is not bent they should be able to rebuild it. Worth calling them if you want all the details around their work- it’ll give you some comfort.

I opted for the 105 shaft upgrade which costs a few hundred more and requires a new pitman arm you can get for $100 from Dubai shipped.

Also worth noting that if you send them your old pitman arm they’re polish that up and paint it like it’s new again too

It will arrive centered, preload set, and ready to install. They void their warrantee if you adjust anything.

Look real close at the frame when you pull the steering box. where it bolts on,. The frame can crack where the sleeves go thru,. As info...

I'm starting to think l should just pull the trigger on the box rebuild as it's certainly the most annoying thing I have going on with my truck. I'm at 167k miles, so I guess it's not out of line that it'd be worn.

I'm starting to think l should just pull the trigger on the box rebuild as it's certainly the most annoying thing I have going on with my truck. I'm at 167k miles, so I guess it's not out of line that it'd be worn.
I’m thinking about this as well but their website looks like there are no cores so we would have to send ours in. Mine is my dd so I’m wondering how long it takes.

7-10 business days is what I was told. Haven't sent mine off yet though.

96 FZJ80, 370,000 miles, original gear box (untouched), tracks straight down the road like it's on rails.
What has this got to do with this thread? I don't mean to be rude but no one asked about data points, we're here to figure out what to do with the ones that DON'T track straight....

What has this got to do with this thread? I don't mean to be rude but no one asked about data points, we're here to figure out what to do with the ones that DON'T track straight....
To be fair, I did ask the guys that had their rebuilt by RedHead how many miles were on theirs when they had it done. I was trying to get an idea of how long you should expect the box to last as mine has 165k miles.

Yup. I have half as many miles on a 97 and mine is all over the road. After correcting caster, tre, bearings, brakes, tires, it is better, but steering is still sloppy. Trying this in addition to what I’ve done so far. I like the fact that it is more than a rebuild that could even eliminate any “factory” acceptable play or whatever.
Gonna also check the couplings that @PHIL O suggested.

how long you should expect the box to last as mine has 165k miles.

Another data pt, I'm near 275k miles and adjusted/tightened the screw on my box about 50k miles ago with great results. I have a spare low-mile box for when rebuild and/or replace is needed but that seems a long way off at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom