Tie Rod Beefing Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
kartchcustoms.com
Hey, does anybody know off the top of their head what size tube I need to sleave the stock tie rod?

I'm got a slight bend in mine and I think it might be contributing to my death wobble situation (along with maybe the tires themselves).

Thanks in advance....

If the tie rod is already bent why not just replace it with a heavy duty piece of tube? Marlin has threaded tube for $50-$60. If your using the 40 TRE you would need to get the jam nuts though.

If the tie rod is already bent why not just replace it with a heavy duty piece of tube? Marlin has threaded tube for $50-$60. If your using the 40 TRE you would need to get the jam nuts though.

Sleaving it would give me an inexpensive way to see if that is even the issue in the first place without spending the coin. At some point I'm going to go high steer so don't want to dump a bunch of money into the stock tie rod. Thanks for the info on Marlins stuff though.

Have you already checked the knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, alignment, TRE's etc? I would think the tie rod being bent might throw off your toe in but not cause the quakes. Is the system stock? I Could be wrong though.

Sleaving it would give me an inexpensive way to see if that is even the issue in the first place without spending the coin. At some point I'm going to go high steer so don't want to dump a bunch of money into the stock tie rod. Thanks for the info on Marlins stuff though.

thats not going to fix the death wobble

Death wobble issues are generally related to castor problems. bent tie rods don't help but aren't the cause. Do a search on death wooble death shake etc. here on the tech forum. I went throught a number of parts (most of which needed to be replaced) only to find that the castor was the culpret. DO NOT drive that thing like that please park it and fix it!

Sleeving a tube is a lot harder than it sounds!!! If you get a good tight fit, thats a lot of rod to try to push thru...DOM tubing is smooth inside but elctrowelded isnt...it has a ridge. Save yourself the headache and just buy a good rod, either from Marlin or Rockstomper.com. (Or buy heavy tubing and fab ends or tap threads into it) While youre at it, upgrade your knuckles to mini truck knuckles that have the beefier steering arm....then taper ream the holes out to accept full size Chevy ends. Cheap and tough. Or you could go FJ80, tough but more expensive.

BudBuilt.com for your tie-rod needs.

Have you already checked the knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, alignment, TRE's etc? I would think the tie rod being bent might throw off your toe in but not cause the quakes. Is the system stock? I Could be wrong though.

I have changed the steering box, TRE's, but can't feel any looseness in the bearings. Is there a method besides jacking up the wheel and giving it a good shake?

The system is stock. I'm adding 35 claws and they are probably the problem.

Death wobble issues are generally related to castor problems. bent tie rods don't help but aren't the cause. Do a search on death wooble death shake etc. here on the tech forum. I went throught a number of parts (most of which needed to be replaced) only to find that the castor was the culpret. DO NOT drive that thing like that please park it and fix it!

I have done an extensive search. I've already done the castor adjustments. I have no intention of driving it the way it is. :)

thats not going to fix the death wobble

Probably not, but it won't hurt. The reason I even wanted to try it was to see if I changed the resonant frequency of sorts in the system it might help.

If you just want to sleeve it, 1 inch schedule 40 works extremely well. Cut it 2 inches shorter than the existing rod to leave room at the ends for clamps.

I drilled about 4 or 5 holes in the Schedule 40 and did some rosette welds so the tie rod would turn the inner rod for adjustment. That rod worked great for years and I think I gave it to D'Animal when I did my spring over and went to highsteer.

Sleaving it would give me an inexpensive way to see if that is even the issue in the first place without spending the coin.

You can accomplish the same thing with a piece of .250" thick, 1.25" leg angle iron....

If you just want to sleeve it, 1 inch schedule 40 works extremely well. Cut it 2 inches shorter than the existing rod to leave room at the ends for clamps.

I drilled about 4 or 5 holes in the Schedule 40 and did some rosette welds so the tie rod would turn the inner rod for adjustment. That rod worked great for years and I think I gave it to D'Animal when I did my spring over and went to highsteer.

You can accomplish the same thing with a piece of .250" thick, 1.25" leg angle iron....

Good ideas. I'm sure I can find one or the other fairly easy and just give it a whirl. Worst thing that can happen is I then have a beefier tie rod! :grinpimp:

If it is was bent, but not enough to warrant replacement right away, couldn't you just adjust the toe in (loosen some nuts and turn that tie rod thingy)? A bend won't mean crap for death wobbles if the toe in is correct.

Perfect sleeve: high lift handle (temporary only)

If it is was bent, but not enough to warrant replacement right away, couldn't you just adjust the toe in (loosen some nuts and turn that tie rod thingy)? A bend won't mean crap for death wobbles if the toe in is correct.

Perfect sleeve: high lift handle (temporary only)

I have adjusted the toe in to about a 1/4". I'm just wondering if the slight bend is allowing the tie rod to deflect easier upon a side impact and then allowing the start of the death wobble. Again, it's probably the tires and/or rims but we'll see.

OK, the more I think about this the more I don't believe it has anything to do with my Death Wobble issue. I'm going to try it anyway and see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom