Things you didn't know about your GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dan. That’s great info on the shifter assembly.

I’m in Death Valley and my slip indicator did go on when in L, CDL on, and 4Hi, but very brief flash. Not too many off camber situations in the areas that I’m exploring.

I’m hoping that you were right and not being in L negatively impacted my ATRAC. I’ll keep testing.

Your shifter assembly is broken. Have to replace. I had the same thing. New assembly and no issue with L staying put.

True. I had this happen on my 4th gen 4Runner. There is a little metal pin that sits in a plastic "holder" with a spring that pushes it outward. The plastic holder thing gets a crack that you can't really see unless you're moving the shifter, and the pin gets to fall out of place, not holding the darn thing in L. Infuriating if you actually want to use L for more than a few seconds. I put the metal pin back in place and a zip tie around the plastic thing which worked for a good year or so. They wanted too much money for a whole new shifter thingy.

True. I had this happen on my 4th gen 4Runner. There is a little metal pin that sits in a plastic "holder" with a spring that pushes it outward. The plastic holder thing gets a crack that you can't really see unless you're moving the shifter, and the pin gets to fall out of place, not holding the darn thing in L. Infuriating if you actually want to use L for more than a few seconds. I put the metal pin back in place and a zip tie around the plastic thing which worked for a good year or so. They wanted too much money for a whole new shifter thingy.
Same thing happened to mine except it wouldn’t go into L and flopped around like a wet noodle. I just picked up a used one out of a newer model on eBay for like $130.

Thought I would bring this thread back to the forefront for a quick question.

Does the rear wiper arm pop up and out of the way for cleaning? I can only pull it off the glass about 2" and then it feels like something is going to snap. Very inconvenient at the gas station and I am cleaning my windows.

Thought I would bring this thread back to the forefront for a quick question.

Does the rear wiper arm pop up and out of the way for cleaning? I can only pull it off the glass about 2" and then it feels like something is going to snap. Very inconvenient at the gas station and I am cleaning my windows.
Yes and no. It can come up when you want to change the wiper blade, but you have to pry the plastic piece that covers the nut off. Kind of a pain in the ass to do every time you want to clean the window though.

Been a while but I think you can use your key or a flathead screw driver to push a little button in on the receiver of the attached point to release it.
I know this is super old but I just ran across it...the silver part of the belt clip works too...no additional “tools” needed, it fits perfectly in the slot.

Also if you are on slight incline stopped you don’t have to have your foot on the break and you won’t roll backwards. I’ve tried it on some steep inclines off-road doesn’t work to well but on the streets it works kinda cool

Also if you are on slight incline stopped you don’t have to have your foot on the break and you won’t roll backwards. I’ve tried it on some steep inclines off-road doesn’t work to well but on the streets it works kinda cool

Don't all automatics do this to some degree?

I don't have conclusive proof of this, but I am in my first winter with my GX.

I am relatively sure the heated seats are somehow smart. They seem to get much hotter when the temperature is lower.

I guessing that's just perception due to the lower ambient temp. I've had two 470s now and they have the most anemic seat heaters I've experienced.

I've had two 470s now and they have the most anemic seat heaters I've experienced.
Agreed. My wife’s X5 will cook eggs on high and the heat is instant. My GX doesn’t get hotter than my dog’s breath, and only the seat has a warmer, nothing in the lumbar. :frown:

Agreed. My wife’s X5 will cook eggs on high and the heat is instant. My GX doesn’t get hotter than my dog’s breath, and only the seat has a warmer, nothing in the lumbar. :frown:
Haha! My wife's 328 is the same way... like a sweat box to say the least. Although the heated steering wheel is pretty cool in the dead of winter.

Since we talked about seat heaters....crank PS to high before getting carry out food. Place food on seat. Profit.

Since we talked about seat heaters....crank PS to high before getting carry out food. Place food on seat. Profit.

That's always been my move as well!

Funny, I just had the mirrors tilt down for the first time today - just adjusted them yesterday. Must have left the switch in the middle!

I wonder if this is a GX only thing....I haven't noticed my mirrors doing this on my Prado. (and you have no clue how useful this would be for me!)

My seat heaters work pretty good, but then again I’m in SoCal and cold weather means it’s 55 outside.

BMW has, I think, particularly powerful seat warmers. My old 328xi definitely had stronger butt warmers, but I think my GX is about on par with my wife's Mazda, her old mini, her old Subaru, and my old GTI. At least, there is nothing that stood out as a big difference. I remember my 328xi heaters though. They did have a punch.

It didn't leave the single-digits here for about 10 days (fluctuating between negative singles and positive singles), ant the GX seat warmers have a noticeable effect by the end of my street. They are enough, especially since I'm already pretty bundled when leaving the house into 0 degree temps.

I assume everyone knows the rear door (stock arm) has a lock out. I see the conversion to a ram and I never understood why. On a hill, offroad the ram can get overweight and come back at you. I just open, push the cam lock, and it stays put no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom