Things you didn't know about your GX

Discussion in '120-Series Toyotas' started by Yotatron, Jan 21, 2018.

1. HomersCanyonero

HomersCanyonero

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Dan. That’s great info on the shifter assembly.

I’m in Death Valley and my slip indicator did go on when in L, CDL on, and 4Hi, but very brief flash. Not too many off camber situations in the areas that I’m exploring.

I’m hoping that you were right and not being in L negatively impacted my ATRAC. I’ll keep testing.

2. kylebacc

kylebacc

Media:
    Albums:
    True. I had this happen on my 4th gen 4Runner. There is a little metal pin that sits in a plastic "holder" with a spring that pushes it outward. The plastic holder thing gets a crack that you can't really see unless you're moving the shifter, and the pin gets to fall out of place, not holding the darn thing in L. Infuriating if you actually want to use L for more than a few seconds. I put the metal pin back in place and a zip tie around the plastic thing which worked for a good year or so. They wanted too much money for a whole new shifter thingy.

3. BlackCat

BlackCat

Same thing happened to mine except it wouldn’t go into L and flopped around like a wet noodle. I just picked up a used one out of a newer model on eBay for like $130.

4. Bluetribal

Bluetribal SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Thought I would bring this thread back to the forefront for a quick question.

Does the rear wiper arm pop up and out of the way for cleaning? I can only pull it off the glass about 2" and then it feels like something is going to snap. Very inconvenient at the gas station and I am cleaning my windows.

ewillis likes this.
  5. Arailt

Arailt SILVER Star

Yes and no. It can come up when you want to change the wiper blade, but you have to pry the plastic piece that covers the nut off. Kind of a pain in the ass to do every time you want to clean the window though.

6. Bluetribal

Bluetribal SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Ah thanks, this helps out for changing my blade which is due as well.

7. Da808racer

Da808racer

I know this is super old but I just ran across it...the silver part of the belt clip works too...no additional “tools” needed, it fits perfectly in the slot.

8. SOCAL470

SOCAL470

Also if you are on slight incline stopped you don’t have to have your foot on the break and you won’t roll backwards. I’ve tried it on some steep inclines off-road doesn’t work to well but on the streets it works kinda cool

9. IanB

IanB SILVER Star

Don't all automatics do this to some degree?

10. caz

caz Keystone Cruisers SILVER Star

I don't have conclusive proof of this, but I am in my first winter with my GX.

I am relatively sure the heated seats are somehow smart. They seem to get much hotter when the temperature is lower.

joabmc likes this.
  11. rodhx

rodhx

I guessing that's just perception due to the lower ambient temp. I've had two 470s now and they have the most anemic seat heaters I've experienced.

Arailt likes this.
  12. Arailt

Arailt SILVER Star

Agreed. My wife’s X5 will cook eggs on high and the heat is instant. My GX doesn’t get hotter than my dog’s breath, and only the seat has a warmer, nothing in the lumbar. :frown:

13. joabmc

joabmc

Haha! My wife's 328 is the same way... like a sweat box to say the least. Although the heated steering wheel is pretty cool in the dead of winter.

Arailt likes this.
  14. Vlad

Vlad The Impaler SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Since we talked about seat heaters....crank PS to high before getting carry out food. Place food on seat. Profit.

15. IanB

IanB SILVER Star

That's always been my move as well!

16. BukkakeAisu

BukkakeAisu

Media:
    Albums:
    I wonder if this is a GX only thing....I haven't noticed my mirrors doing this on my Prado. (and you have no clue how useful this would be for me!)

17. HomersCanyonero

HomersCanyonero

Media:
    Albums:
    My seat heaters work pretty good, but then again I’m in SoCal and cold weather means it’s 55 outside.

18. MaverickFiveO

MaverickFiveO

BMW has, I think, particularly powerful seat warmers. My old 328xi definitely had stronger butt warmers, but I think my GX is about on par with my wife's Mazda, her old mini, her old Subaru, and my old GTI. At least, there is nothing that stood out as a big difference. I remember my 328xi heaters though. They did have a punch.

It didn't leave the single-digits here for about 10 days (fluctuating between negative singles and positive singles), ant the GX seat warmers have a noticeable effect by the end of my street. They are enough, especially since I'm already pretty bundled when leaving the house into 0 degree temps.

Arailt likes this.
  19. Lifted

Lifted

stevezero likes this.
  20. Vlad

Vlad The Impaler SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I assume everyone knows the rear door (stock arm) has a lock out. I see the conversion to a ram and I never understood why. On a hill, offroad the ram can get overweight and come back at you. I just open, push the cam lock, and it stays put no matter what.

runningdrew, stevezero, GXMac and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.