Builds My FJC to GX 470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Stopping by to say hello and to thank the good folks that compiled all of this great info! It’s sort of bittersweet right now as I’m sacrificing my FJC for a 07 GX, non-KDSS, NAV 1-owner. After much consideration and family discussions, the GX just seems to fit the family dynamic right now. I’m really excited to get started on this project and it’s going to be a whirlwind of modding right out of the gate. I’m sure I’ll be leaning on you all for some tips and tricks. Have been reading the threads feverishly since deciding to go this route and have learned quite a bit already. The FJC and the GX share so many characteristics so hopefully I’ll be able to help others in that respect.

Current build specs:

Suspension

Front -SPC LR UCAs
- OME 885 w/ Nitrocharger sports 90000, trim packer (drivers side for the lean)
and top plate spacer because I wanted a full 3" and level vs. the standard 2.5.
-Toytec swaybar relocate kit
-Custom front swaybar quick disonnects
-Wheelers Off-road superbumps
Rear - Metaltech Stage II coil conversion kit
- Metaltech dual rate, medium, Long Travel rear coils
-OME 60071L (80 series extended travel = 11.25" travel)
- Metaltech bumpstop drop
-FJC rear bumpstops
- Metaltech extended rear brake lines
- Metaltech offset rear lower links
-Rear Swaybar removed
Armor
-
ARB Deluxe Bullbar
-STEDI ARB deluxe led foglight upgrade
- FJToyman rear lower shock skids
- Budbuilt diff. skid
- OPOR RLL skids
-SSO weld on sliders
Wheels/ Tires:
-
Vision Manx, 17X8.5, 0 offset
- 295-70-17 Cooper ST MAXX
-BMC and massaged the pinch welds (probably not necessary but what was already cutting for the BMC so why not)
Recovery/Safety (Still trying to find a home for most of this stuff)
-Soft Shackles, regular shackles
-SE Overland Synthetic winch line
-Warn M8000
-Tree saver
-Snatch strap
-Snatch block
-Shovel/Ax
-First Aid Kit
-Fire Extinguisher
-VIAIR 400P compressor
Communications
-Currently have my Uniden, 3' firestik, quick disconnect in the garage as I am planning to go the HAM route.
Navigation
-
I installed the 2017 update disc in the factory NAV but it is still lacking. Going to install a Panavise mount combined with a RAM ball mount, extension arm and use my small tablet for in the woods and exploring.
Misc:
-
Metaltech Standard hitch receiver
-REDARC, Tow-Pro Elite brake controller w/ Toyota/Lexus OEM harness
-Nash Fabco Rear Ladder
ROOF:
-Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform system (49X60) Model JA8057- comes with CBX rails
-Rockman
ON-DECK:

-upgrade factory skids

GX the day I took delivery
26EB4CE8-3738-4B08-B602-E078E293A2AB.jpeg

And Current State.
5FE1AC56-7179-4C22-96D9-998227270498.jpeg
452B593B-CDBE-402D-B0F4-8F57573F51B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats. Lots of fun ahead

Took delivery over the weekend but was out of town. Finally had the opportunity to actually drive the truck today and really enjoyed it. The air suspension actually decided to work today and I was able to cycle through the adjustments but already have parts laying in the garage ready to go.
Spent the afternoon doing a thorough PB blaster treatment with more to follow before I start stripping the rig.

Rolled my wheels and tires over to get a visual. My driveway photoshop!
1880AFEC-CE6D-466D-812F-5E69325E2469.jpeg

Congrats on the new GX, anxious to see the transformation!

Nice! Good plan on moving your FJC gear over to the GX. If the GX has KDSS, reach out if you need any help putting it in bypass to install the suspension. (Allot of the 07's GX's had KDSS) I have installed a few suspensions on these.

Mark

Nice! Good plan on moving your FJC gear over to the GX. If the GX has KDSS, reach out if you need any help putting it in bypass to install the suspension. (Allot of the 07's GX's had KDSS) I have installed a few suspensions on these.

Mark

Thanks Mark but I do blame you guys for the switch!! No KDSS on this one. Was just on the phone with Jon today ordering the conversion kit and a few miscellaneous items that I didn’t take with me. Had a seized RLL bolt that decided to give me trouble and had to get heavy handed with it. The Johnny joint has seen better days now. That, some extended brake lines and bump stop and I should be back in business!
3F734531-EB22-459A-A09B-98A85644917C.jpeg
4D9FF360-7E4D-4EAF-8FE0-67D20D5BB2CE.jpeg

Little update. Waiting on my conversion kit and a few miscellaneous items to arrive before I start. Didn’t remove my rear Bump stops or extended brake lines so ordered new.
But did take the truck on it’s first trip over the weekend and really enjoyed it! Silky smooth as most have said. Managed 500+ mi in two days in what was considered a non-functioning air-ride suspension with no issues. I had driven the truck around for several days trying to replicate the failure as described in the service history to no avail... Decided heck-with-it and took it for an extended trip.

Should have the conversion kit by midweek and hopefully starting the transformation by mext weekend.

Changed the thread title as I’m going to use this for my build. The Metaltech Coil Conversion Kit has arrived along with the bumpstop drops. Still waiting on extended rear brake lines but hopefully they arrive. At least I have enough to get started. Now just need old man winter to give us alittle break.
7FE919D6-937F-4919-B616-72E50E06DFBD.jpeg
78ABC645-4450-42B2-ADBD-9779C0115790.jpeg

Changed the thread title as I’m going to use this for my build. The Metaltech Coil Conversion Kit has arrived along with the bumpstop drops. Still waiting on extended rear brake lines but hopefully they arrive. At least I have enough to get started. Now just need old man winter to give us alittle break.

Cool! What springs are you using in the rear- Heavy duty or Medium?

0A0396EE-D898-4B30-8521-5257AB39F419.jpeg
Can somebody answer what this is? I’m guessing something to do with the air ride?? Can’t see another purpose for it. If so, have most of you removed the hardware as it seems like it will be in the way and limit travel.

I removed all of my hardware and brackets, and put all the hardware in my trail emergency nut and bolt bucket.

That is the ride height sensor. The "trick" is just changing the length. Think lspv for air ride.

Ok good, thanks for the replies. It, along with the air lines and swaybar are gone. Had a tough time of it today... nothing decided to cooperate so all that was achieved was removal of the running boards, swapped out (cut out) the rear shocks, removed air bags and added my MT rear coils and bumpstop drop. Forgot how much of a joy that they are to stuff in there. The Metaltech coil conversion kit went smoothly but that was about it. Just getting over Bronchitis so I don’t think I had the strength or patience that was needed.
51FA3C87-FD47-44C2-9E09-8C87D2836157.jpeg
37A95405-F238-44A7-ADD6-9C81291696AF.jpeg
573C3A65-E312-4A05-A73B-CA6F97830985.jpeg
51FC1FA4-7B2F-451A-BBA6-2BEE7196BE03.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom