Things you didn't know about your GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the link to the 470 pages of bliss..Saved for a rainy day. Also, I had no idea the ignition switch was set that way, pretty cool

I gotta figure out what the little switch way under the steering column is for

Not sure what Lexus calls this feature but I really love starting my GX up. Not needing to hold the key until it fires up. Maybe it’s cause I came from an 80 that took a couple seconds to start.

Its a holding circuit interlock. Lots of newer vehicles have them and pretty much anything with a start button. I also find this feature strangely satisfying until I try to do it in my 80. The 80 series does not respond well to the bump key method.

I’m another thread, someone mentioned that the gx470 has 4 sun visors. Two stacked on top of each other.

I was in Mojave and this feature came in handy. Moved the drivers side sun visor to the drivers side window and kept the second sun visor on the drivers side windshield.

Sunvisors.jpg

Last edited:
In the 3rd row seat area, there's an auxiliary storage box that was meant to store a first aid kit. I didn't know that. Also, the net in the rear barn down was meant to hold a warning reflector for when you break down at night on the highway. I didn't know that either.
AuxBox_01.jpg
AuxBox_02.jpg
Warning_Reflector_Storage.jpg

This whole time I've been off-roading, I didn't realize that you have to move the transmission lever to the right and hold it when in 2nd gear to engage "L". I've been in 4Lo and CDL'ed and in 2nd gear. Yikes, my bad.

FirstGear.jpg

Last edited:
Also may explain ATRAC problems lol

Well, I thought traction control was supposed to be automatic. Where does it say that you have to be in “L”?

The “automatic” part in ATRAC is missing in my 470. It’s more like MTRAC where “M” is for manual.

If you are in 2 not L wheel speed will be higher so ATRAC will work but less so.

If you are in 2 not L wheel speed will be higher so ATRAC will work but less so.

Isn't ATRAC supposed to work when I am spinning my wheel in snow in higher gears?

This whole time I've been off-roading, I didn't realize that you have to move the transmission lever to the right and hold it when in 2nd gear to engage "L". I've been in 4Lo and CDL'ed and in 2nd gear. Yikes, my bad.

View attachment 1657322
What do you mean by "move the transmission lever to the right and hold it when in 2nd gear?" If I'm in 2 and I move the stick right to L, the L on the dash lights up and the stick stays in L. Is the transmission not really in L? I don't understand what you mean by "hold."

I need to try my lever again later today. Last night I just saw the shift position go to L and back to 2, but that was in my driveway without moving.

I probably didn’t hold it or push it far enough to the right to engage and stay L.

If both the shifter and the dash say L, then you are in L.

Last edited:
I need to try my lever again later today. Last night I just saw the shift position go to L and back to 2, but that was in my driveway without moving.

I probably didn’t hold it or push it far enough to the right to engage and stay L.

If both the shifter and the dash say L, then you are in L.

I've noticed that I have to come to almost a complete stop to properly engage L from 2. If I am moving very slowly and move the lever to L the indicator light on the dash just turns off and no gear is shown as selected (you are still in 2nd). Mine is a 2009 so may have been a feature on the newer models only.

I just drove around the neighborhood on paved roads and I cannot get it to stay inL unless I hold the shift lever there.

As soon as I let go, it goes to 2nd. I’m trying this from a completely stopped position.

And I hate it when these things only happen to me because I feel like it’s my fault somehow....ATRAC and now L work differently for me on my 2003!

Your shifter assembly is broken. Have to replace. I had the same thing. New assembly and no issue with L staying put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom