Builds The Green Bastard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First off you really shouldn't have to adjust that upper screw. That being said. Screwing in is tight.you can eventually turn the alien down and jam the box.

^^ and once you start to tighten, very small adjustments are needed. Righty tighty a little and then test drive. Too much and binding will occur.

went the other direction, it has gotten firmer / less, but I am almost at having the slot inside of the adjustment nut, and I think I have bottomed it out in the other direction :(

hmmmmmmmmm, fixed up the plate light.

I adjusted the screw on top of the PS box all the way out I think (As much as I could with the questionable access to said screw from inside of the engine bay), and there is still a good amount of play in the wheel

I have 6 threads showing above the top of the nut? started at 3

What are you looking to achieve?

Adjusting this screw in takes some play out of the steering box. But you need to check you have a full range of steering rotation without the box binding
Most the wear occurs near centre position, if you over tighten as the steering box is near full lock it may bind up if you're adjustment is too tight

Last edited:
What are you looking to achieve?

Adjusting this screw in takes some play out of the steering box. But you need to check you have a full range of steering rotation without the box binding
Most the wear occurs near centre position, if you over tighten as the steering box is near full lock it may bind up if you're apartment is too tight
I think Lumbee1 gave me some insight into what I missed:

1651841732725.png

I am a rotation short on the preload nut.

Going to pull the box again, and then tighten the preload nut another rotation

I think Lumbee1 gave me some insight into what I missed:

View attachment 3001763
I am a rotation short on the preload nut.

Going to pull the box again, and then tighten the preload nut another rotation
Yeap! This is it. I was three rotations from being bottomed out and I had 1 foot of dead zone in the steering wheel after I reinstalled everything. I pulled the box off again, tightened the bearing all the way down and then reinstalled. Adjusting the screw on top was the final step and it was 1/4 and 1/8 turns to fine tune it.

BTW, most folks recommend pulling the battery box or using a long screwdriver but I found it much easier to pull the fender liner and use a right angle screwdriver instead.
1651865972360.png

Finally pulled the box back off, opened it up, and tightened the preload down 1 more rotation (feels a little clunky sort of when rotating it by hand)
The power piston plunger nut gave up the ghost while I was backing it out, so that is on order
44154-30020

Last edited:
When I did mine, we used a paint marker on the threads to try and put it back in the same position. I was still off center when we reassembled 🤷🏽‍♂️.
There a alignment mark on the sector shaft and pitman arm.;)

To center the steering wheel you adjust the drag link, if it's only off a little you can adjust the steering wheel.

If the pitman arm was installed in the wrong position it's best to go back and get it in the right spot 🤷‍♂️ JMHO

Reinstalled all of the under dash stuff for accessing the steering column.
Deep cleaned the ATF off of all of my tools (they had gotten quite dirty since they were used for both the gearbox and pump)
Extended the diff breather to the inside rear quarter panel
Timid greasing of the slip yoke
Greased u joints
Lamented the cost of gas
Thought about kayak accessibility

thinking thoughts about light bars / pods.

Biggest thought right now is around amber vs white lights 🤔

Anyone run a mix of the 2? or all of just 1 color?

Generally amber is for Fog and white is for long distance.

All depend on what your tying to light up.

Generally amber is for Fog and white is for long distance.

All depend on what your tying to light up.
hmmm,
I dont have anything in particular I would want to light up, was just thinking of some starting points
Most of the off roading around me is in trees, ETC, being able to see the trail better would be the plan
Might start with 2 bars on the ARB bumper, 1 driving, 1 fog / wide

hmmm,
I dont have anything in particular I would want to light up, was just thinking of some starting points
Most of the off roading around me is in trees, ETC, being able to see the trail better would be the plan
Might start with 2 bars on the ARB bumper, 1 driving, 1 fog / wide
For around here, a cheap Amazon lightbar does well. The narrow, tight trails with lots of trees would be pretty awful to navigate with driving lights.

I have two light bars on the ARB: a small 7" lightbar with an amber filter and a 25" lightbar mounted upside down on the top mounts.
I would like to have a more effective 7" amber lightbar but they work. Both cost about $60 total.
1656348081553.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom