Builds The Green Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alrighty then, made some progress:
uncomfortable grinding noise: having the correct amount of fluid in the transfer case helped a lot, I think its now back to driveshaft / ujoints (potentially)

Went out and drove the cruiser around, with the IR gun I took the following readings:

all temps in fahrenheitA (tiny cap on end of axle)B (part of axle that interfaces with hub body)C (hub body)Rotor
1 (baseline at ambient temps)90909090
2 (local auto parts store, 5 mins up road)939293
3 (after 10 mins highway) (15 total mins)110117123
4 (after 10 mins of surface streets, stop and go) (25 total mins)122131142272
5 (back at home) (30 total mins)137148157260
I just took readings on my front hubs today.

Start: 0 miles:. 89 and 91 all parts
After 3-1/2 hours of driving:
Cap:. 119 and 119
Drive flange:. 121 and 120
Brake rotor: 161 and 152

I just took readings on my front hubs today.

Start: 0 miles:. 89 and 91 all parts
After 3-1/2 hours of driving:
Cap:. 119 and 119
Drive flange:. 121 and 120
Brake rotor: 161 and 152
Dang, sounds like something is busted on mine then, should I bother replacing the grease in the hubs with things having been running hot?

Dang, sounds like something is busted on mine then, should I bother replacing the grease in the hubs with things having been running hot?
No.

Depending on the grease you use the drop point is usually in the 450' range.

You haven't cooked it yet.

napa is fast as usual, ordered parts before :coffee: this morning, parts were at my local 2 hours later.

Upon pulling the calipers off, I found that the pads have a 1/8" lip on the outside, so new pads as well I guess

and while I am in there, the brake hardware was looking pretty sad :hillbilly:
woooooooooooo

napa is fast as usual, ordered parts before :coffee: this morning, parts were at my local 2 hours later.

Upon pulling the calipers off, I found that the pads have a 1/8" lip on the outside, so new pads as well I guess

and while I am in there, the brake hardware was looking pretty sad :hillbilly:
woooooooooooo

The pads were either the wrong pads or installed wrong.

But if they're grooved like that it's possible the top was rubbing and causing your heat.

okeydokey then
Reman brakes are on, did a questionable bleed last night, little bro will be in town, so if the test drive does not go well, will have a helper.
New front pads as well (did 100 series pads)

Need to figure out if I messed up the rear diff breather with my breather extension / reroute, going to pull that off, and blow some air through to see if it "breathes"

okeydokey then
Reman brakes are on, did a questionable bleed last night, little bro will be in town, so if the test drive does not go well, will have a helper.
New front pads as well (did 100 series pads)

Need to figure out if I messed up the rear diff breather with my breather extension / reroute, going to pull that off, and blow some air through to see if it "breathes"
Don't suck on the breather with your mouth like I did to check it.

guess it is just the seal then, the breather flows air just fine (used less lung power than blowing a candle out) and a zip tie in the breather tube leading into the axle returns with diff oil on it

Brakes seem to be ok? (hot hubs)

Took little bro out fishing this morning, a country road was traveled at 65 for ~20 mins, hubs were at 110 when we coasted into a parking lot.

Will do a highway only test tomorrow for a longer duration.

At some point, ignorance is bliss. If the preload is set right and the brakes arent dragging, send that s***.

At some point, ignorance is bliss. If the preload is set right and the brakes arent dragging, send that s***.
At the same time, I've had sticking calipers. I didn't discover them until I was on a trip to Hurricane Creek with you coming down those twisty mountain gravel roads and noticed I had a lot less braking power. When we stopped at the bottom, my rear wheels were HOT.

1661053482080.png

At the same time, I've had sticking calipers. I didn't discover them until I was on a trip to Hurricane Creek with you coming down those twisty mountain gravel roads and noticed I had a lot less braking power. When we stopped at the bottom, my rear wheels were HOT.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm saying though. Can't predict every failure. If something is going wrong, it'll make itself apparent eventually, lol.

@lumbee1 per usual can predict what is causing the issues from many miles away.

removed the front driveshaft, and alllllllllll of the angry noises went away with the driveline, was nice and silent 😎

also coming back from the beach, one of the corner light's plastic mounting brackets gave up the ghost, so looks like I will be on the hunt for some of those too

Alternator seems to be done, have discovered that someone previously *might* have used some RTV to hold the alternator plug in place on the back, so going to think about what to do there

if the alternator is done, might be time for a larger one :grinpimp:

Good news: got the alternator out, ended up needing to rotate it while in the engine bay to get enough purchase on it to pull the plug out, the plug was infact not held in by RTV, was just full of grime

Bad news:
In order to get the alternator out, I unmounted it from all of it's respective brackets, rotated it 90 degrees
from what I can gather, a mix of age, and getting rained on by ATF for the past little while made the wiring harness pretty brittle, all of the sheathing on the wires has cracked at the connectors :(

IMG_3073 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3074 - Copy.jpg

I might have a blown rectifier holder?
I followed the rectifier test at the top of the page, with the red cable from the multimeter (MM) going to the positive terminal, I got no beeps or number for all 4 of the positive terminals (terminal #4 is out of shot).
When I switch the leads (black cable from MM to positive terminal), I get numbers (but no beeps) for 1,2,4

I see that a new rectifier holder is $112, which is close enough to what a reman denso is though :/

IMG_3083 - Copy.jpg

Reman denso installed, was a medium PITA trying to line up all of the bolt holes

The alternator seems to be ok? but isnt outputting fully at 14v once I have driven around for a while.
Will continue to watch the meter in the cab

Now I am pretty sure the front bushings are done, there has been a wobble which happens at low speeds
(my thinking is partly informed by the PO including a box of ironman bushings)

Installed a Tom woods DC driveshaft, and the driveline grumble is gone at highway speeds! how nice it is!
now its just the roar of 35s M/Ts lol

Installed some corner lights, one headlight is missing the socket on one side, so going to try and have to run down a headlight assembly at some point 🤔
put an el-cheapo lightbar on the front for an upcoming trip, will see if that contributes to headgasket failure 🤔 🤔

Installed a Tom woods DC driveshaft, and the driveline grumble is gone at highway speeds! how nice it is!
now its just the roar of 35s M/Ts lol

Installed some corner lights, one headlight is missing the socket on one side, so going to try and have to run down a headlight assembly at some point 🤔
put an el-cheapo lightbar on the front for an upcoming trip, will see if that contributes to headgasket failure 🤔 🤔
No pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom