The Great ONSC Gun Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll lend a vote to the "COOL" factor of a lever action rifle. Yup, you may not need it unless you hunt, but they sure are fun to shoot.

I just bought a Marlin 444. Talk about over kill, but what a blast to shoot. Wild pigs are moving into the area, we already have cyote, deer, fox, beaver, ground hogs ect on the property. I would not go out on the pastures on the farm in Gaffney where the rest of Heather's horses are, at night, without a minimum of a .45 hand gun. The hogs run that whole area.

I am looking for a pistol caliber lever action rifle for my next long gun. You can not go wrong with a lever action 22LR either. Fun to shoot and amo is cheap.

A range officer or trp is on my short list. But I already have a couple 22s and ars. Honestly I'd get what you will shoot the most which will orob be a 22. I second the ruger 22/45

Anyone know of any good Black Friday sales on 12ga's? I'm torn between a mossy 500 series and a rem 870. Short barrel for home def duties. Any pro's or cons for either? I dont have a SG that I'd trust, so its new ground for me. I'm open to used (i know in a lot of cases, older is indeed better)...

I'd go for the 1911 Allen. I really like my AR but sold it due to the lack of places to shoot it around Durham.

Anybody have any thoughts on the most discreet way to dispatch a raccoon within city limits should the need arise? Saw one wobbling down the street last week - looked ill. I missed my chance to run it over and it disappeared in the woods. I doubt my neighbor would've enjoyed a large caliber blast in his front yard (I lent my .22LR to a buddy just a few days earlier, d'oh!) I think even the .22LR might have been too much for my 'hood at that hour, though. Perhaps a .177 pellet @ 1500fps? A friend who knows about silently dispatching large air-breathers told me that CCI makes LR sized "CP caps" that are like the old county fair shooting rounds. Anybody? And I'm not planning on getting a bow or crossbow.

--john

Just for information the last racoon that I shot that was wobbly, I dispatched with a 45 ACP to the mid section, saved the brain. I sent it to the lab and confirmed that the racoon had Rabies(oh I am a veterinarian) so be careful if the animal is acting strange. And for god's sake if it is acting strange don't splater it's brains all over everything. Be Safe. Doc P.S. I had already shot it twice with a 22 cal air rifle (700fps) didn;t even slow him down.

And the winner is.......

Got it at the Dixie Gun & Knife Show at the fairgrounds today. Now I just need to go buy a bucket o' bullets. :D

And the winner is.......

Got it at the Dixie Gun & Knife Show at the fairgrounds today. Now I just need to go buy a bucket o' bullets. :D

Still made it to the show, very nice :D

I'll play. :grinpimp:

Top to bottom, a Dan Wesson .357 4" barrel (nightstand), S&W model 60 3" barrel (backpack), and a S&W 442 (carry).

3362046288_570d9ce13f_b.jpg

I have a Winchester Featherweight Model 70 in .270 for slaying deer, and a mid 70's Remington Wingmaster 870 for the ducks/doves/etc.

I'd love to shoot with you guys sometime in the Raleigh area. :cheers:

Who has thoughts on an AR? I don't like the 5.56 caliber but can appreciate the mil-spec aspect of parts availability. Brand? Gas vs piston?

I'd love a SOCOM 2 .308 but can't justify the money. A buddy who should know points me toward an FN FAL or a SIG AR.

Not for hunting game, just a handy SHTF carbine.

Also, any thoughts on a bow? I just want to have something to have fun with off the deck. No plans on hunting with it. I've never had any friends into it and never followed it myself. Am I looking at $100 or $300+ just to have fun on some targets?

--john

Who has thoughts on an AR? I don't like the 5.56 caliber but can appreciate the mil-spec aspect of parts availability. Brand? Gas vs piston?

I'd love a SOCOM 2 .308 but can't justify the money. A buddy who should know points me toward an FN FAL or a SIG AR.

Not for hunting game, just a handy SHTF carbine.

Take a look at Rock River as well. I have what would be their current Tactical CAR A4 (with a mid-length handgard rather than the short CAR version)that I have had for about 10 years. Used to shoot a bunch of CQB matches with it. This thing is a great shooter with the M855 ammo printing sub MOA and M193 opening up a bit to about 1.5 MOA.

In fact, this gun became my go-to AR, so I sold off my others a few years ago ... The only thing I'd change if I was ordering today would be the flash hider (mine was built during the dark ban days) and I'd get the chromed bolt carrier assembly to make cleaning a bit easier.

My $.02

J, I have a s&w MP15 for an AR and have really loved it. The 5.56 may have a reputation for being low energy but I find it keeps the weight of the weapon down versus the 7.62 and makes it more agile. Cheaper ammo versus the 7.62 is also a huge advantage. Also the customability of the AR platform cannot be ignored. Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, S&W all make good ARs. There are lots of them for sale used so look to go that direction if you want. Also the gun shows are a great place to buy one.

The argument of 5.56 versus 7.62 is just as heated as 30-06 versus .308. Also points can be made on each side. The real secret is have a gun in every caliber and 5000 rounds for each with reloading gear for every caliber... (Jking but not really if you have the money.)

if still not a fan of the 5.56 you can get an AR in the .308 and a variety of calibers
Cool thing is if you get a pistol caliber like .40 you can take it to the indoor range too
great threads for beginner info on carolinashootersforum or club or whichever they go by now :D

also look at building one up from parts if you dont see exactly what you want on the shelf
there are some tools required that could likely be borrowed, but great information to assist

palmetto state armory i believe was a popular place for grabbing a lower and some accessories to get started

Also, any thoughts on a bow? I just want to have something to have fun with off the deck. No plans on hunting with it. I've never had any friends into it and never followed it myself. Am I looking at $100 or $300+ just to have fun on some targets?

--john
You prefer a traditional or compound? I cannot talk too much on traditional because I have not picked one up yet, but I love my compound. This is my first year bowhunting but I can honestly say I'd rather bowhunt than rifle....Now I know you're not into hunting, just a testament to how much fun they are. I love shooting my bow. It's nice to be able to just grab my stuff and walk out the back door. When I hit the gun range it tends to be an all day event and I rarely have that kind of time.

Couple things to keep in mind.
When you get a compound bow you will need to get measure for draw length. They have a let off point during the draw and once you hit that point you are only holding a small percentage of the draw weight. For example you have a 60lb draw weight with a 80% let off. Once you are at full draw you are only holding 20% of the draw weight. Hope I explained that well.

You can find compounds on CL all day from 100 and up. The thing is once you get one, you will need to go to your local archery shop to get the draw length and weight set to you. Then you will need to get some arrows and will have to be cut to length. Obviously they charge for this unless you buy the stuff there. I try to buy as much from them as possible within reason. They are an amazing resource and I don't want them to ever leave. lol.

If you end up getting a new bow try to find something with an easily adjustable draw weight. I got Stacy a Hoyt Ruckus. It can go as low as 20 and up to 50. She just target shoots so high velocity is not huge for her. As she gets stronger it's insanely simple to bump it up. I have a bowtech Guardian and it's primarily a hunting bow but I love target and 3D shoots. For me to change draw lengths I have to replace the modules on the cams and to change draw weight I have to replace the limbs. So lots to consider. If you want I'll bring them to the ride next week and we can talk more. There is a ton to consider. It's like saying I want to buy a landcruiser so what should I get. I think I spend more time tinkering with my bow then my 80 lol. But I would say hell yeah get one. They are a chit-ton of fun.

E

if still not a fan of the 5.56 you can get an AR in the .308 and a variety of calibers
Cool thing is if you get a pistol caliber like .40 you can take it to the indoor range too
great threads for beginner info on carolinashootersforum or club or whichever they go by now :D

also look at building one up from parts if you dont see exactly what you want on the shelf
there are some tools required that could likely be borrowed, but great information to assist

palmetto state armory i believe was a popular place for grabbing a lower and some accessories to get started

J's right. Its now Carolina shooters club

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/forum.php

I've long thought about buying a lower and building my own. I have a AR builders guide in pdf is anyone it thinking of taking on the task.

E

If you prefer a .30 cal bullet and like the ar platform you should really look at the 300 blackout cartridge. Get a 300 blackout upper and slap it on any ar lower. It even takes regular 5.56 ar15 mags. It has some disadvantages but its basically a 30 cal bullet in a 5.56 sized case do other parts interchange unlike 308 which needs a complete seperate lower. Like I said go your research to make sure it's for you. Apparently it shoots really well with subsonic rounds but some brands of uppers were having trouble cycling supersonic rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom