Builds 1995 80 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread - "Red" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phares

Mostly Useless
Threads
Since I just made the first major upgrade purchase I figured I would start the build thread for my 1995 80 series. Since I name everything this is "Red".

Triple Locked
155,XXX miles as of 10/27/2014
Fluids baselined
Weathertech Floorliners (Weathertech digifit front liners for 80 series are here)
Cupholders from Bhicks (New 80 series Cup holder design)

I sold my 40 series with the intention of finding a stock 80 in good enough condition that my Wife would actually be happy to get into it and allow me to take our almost 1 year old son for a spin. The intention of the build is as a DD (I have a 3 mile commute to work), a family camping rig and as a vehicle to get me and 3 other guys to shooting competitions and events.
I found Red through the classifieds here on Mud and dragged my neighbor on a 5 hour each direction adventure into the mountains of WV to acquire her. Even stock these trucks are amazing and I have enjoyed the experience so far. It handles very similar to the 2010 Tacoma I had and the locking diffs and 4 wheel drive have me confident in my abilities to handle anything that I might come across in normal driving circumstance.
I was really inspired by Kurt's build thread of his 100 series cruiser and the very methodical way he designed his build. He looked at the big picture and didn't just decide to throw pieces and parts on his vehicle. I hope to emulate this on my build.
It wasn't long before the desire to modify Red overcame anything I spent the day thinking about so I began a thread on the ONSC forum about the build process and where people would put their priorities. Most people were against the first mod being a lift, which I found ironic since most of the responders had lifted vehicles, based on the vehicles capabilities off the show room floor. Since I wasn't building a rock crawling rig, or a rig focused on pure trail capabilities most posters recommended improving the luxurious amenities of the 80.
When I sat down to make my list of lists these are the Groups I came up with. The idea is that you can start or work on the Groups in any order but once you've started the Group the items within must be done in order. The exception being the miscellanious Group. Here is what I have got:
***moved sliders to the top of group 1 as my wife will need the step up when I lift it***

Group 1(Done):
Sliders (OPOR Sliders, if you were ever on the fence about sliders it's time to get off!) (Page 2)
Lift (Page 4)
Tires (Page 5)

Group 2:
Roof Rack (https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/building-a-safari-style-roof-rack.816980/) (Page 2)
Awning (ARB 2500x2500)
Storage System
2nd Battery (Page 8)
ARB Zero 47qt Fridge (Page 8)

Group 3:
4x4 Labs Front Bumper (Page 7)
Winch
4x4 Labs Rear Bumper (Page 7)

Group 4: (Misc.)
Gear (Shovel/Axe)
Comms (Yaesu 857D)
Under Armor
Lighting
Solar Equipment
Cooling System Refresh (Page 3)
Oil Leak Hunt, Front Main Seal, Oil Pump O-Ring (Page 3)
Navigation (Page 7)
Extra Electrical Connections (Blue Sea Systems Page 7)

I welcome everyone's thoughts and recommendations. Please include links and photos! Some photos of the day I got her home:
IMG_5277.JPG

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5317.JPG

Last edited:
Traveling with a baby was a new experience for me. Our first weekend trip to Buffalo in the wife's Rav4 stressed it's storage capabilities so I imagine the first camping trip will stress even the 80s! I knew that before I eliminated the majority of the rear storage compartment in the 80 with a drawer system I had to add a roof rack system that would expand the storage area, not diminish it. So I started looking at roof racks and after several hours of poring over threads and doing google searches I knew what I wanted. I also had a 1000$ budget for this first modification so I was able to check out lots of options. I looked at BajaRacks and Gamiviti but I wanted to stay local if I could. My first stop was to Stan in SC who runs Hardline Fabrication Services. He was booked solid swapping new vortec motors into old 60 and 80 series cruisers so I had to expand my searching. I had been following Underdawg's front bumper build and when I found out he was doing roof racks too I began looking at what he was doing with them. I was very impressed and decided that's where I wanted to start.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/building-a-safari-style-roof-rack.816980/

As soon as I recieve the rack I will post pictures and my thoughts.

Last edited:
Wow that rig looks clean as a whistle. Subbed

Thanks for the order too. Much appreciated.

Nice fine, looks to be a very clean truck.:) You sold your 40?!:eek: I am looking to add a 40 to my fleet!

Just no room for 4 vehicles! I definitely didn't want to get rid of the 40 but it was getting to the process of needing body work and significant welding skills. The 80 has already gotten more use in the 3 months I've owned it than the 40 did in the two years I had it. The 40 is an amazing vehicle though. If I get another one I will look until I find a 76/77 model though. That is the perfect year for me.

Oh snap, your truck was originally equipped with the premium 3-1 cassette player ! Hope you didn't throw away that gem.

Yeah and it cost more than the lockers! Unfortunately the PO replaced the cassette deck with an upgraded stereo system. Now if I want to listen to my Thin Lizzy albums I drive the pickup. Tape deck is still installed in it.

Thanks Kurt! As I mentioned your 100 thread was a great read and an excellent example of how modifications should be done. I've never understood doing anything just for the look. Form has to follow function. Luckily the wife hasn't discovered MUD or we would be installing one of those Helton shower units ASAP. When that does happpen though I will be giving your shop a call.

Thanks Kurt! As I mentioned your 100 thread was a great read and an excellent example of how modifications should be done. I've never understood doing anything just for the look. Form has to follow function. Luckily the wife hasn't discovered MUD or we would be installing one of those Helton shower units ASAP. When that does happpen though I will be giving your shop a call.

:D, please do.

Funny thing, when I ordered my first Helton from Australia (2005 group buy here in Mud actually) my wife (then girlfriend) was baffled by the idea of showering when out camping... she didn't have the vision. Now, hundreds of nights camping later, she is the first one to say "please get the shower hooked up" :D

I'm very interested in seeing what happens!

I was watching Homeland last week and the terrorists rolled up in three burgundy 80s, and my heart broke a little bit. I miss it.

You don't want the old headunit, the CD player was busted. Though I think I still have it somewhere!

Oh no, I'm enjoying the new stereo very much. I'm listening to music I never would have heard before because the PO hooked me up with a fully stocked SD card! :beer:

Haha I'm glad you're getting some use out of it. You find any new music on there you like?

Today was a great day! I got word that both my sliders from OPOR and my rack from Underdawg shipped today. I should be able to install late next week. I can't wait! Expect pictures and write ups.

Keep your pants on. They're on the good camera. Drove the truck today on the highway and such to test the rack's noise levels. Write up and photos tomorrow. But for now here is a picture of Sir Lord Colonel Mr. Gizmo Fluff Esq. for your viewing pleasure.:hillbilly:

IMG_20150103_164215031.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom