Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude, bears can still climb in there 😄

That is sweet! It's hard to find a flat enough place to park huh?

I don’t think there are any bears at the beach 🤣

Shouldn’t be a problem keeping her level, I just strategically run over some 2x4s and sticks and things when trying to keep it level to sleep in the back.

Mandatory Jambo list. Have a couple weekends to knock it out, feeling gooood =

Swap trans (procure juice, remove hump)
Noico floor while hump is removed
Tear front axle down, knuckle rebuild (procure grease)
Cooling system refresh (new thermostat, new coolant if old is bad, glowshift gauge install, water wetter)
Plastidip 80 wheels (just want them to be less obvious, and I want to wheel with the 285s. Clean with air and windex first, lots of light coats)
Clean windows (wash the dude as a whole??) to install STICKERS (top priority)
Air filter, carb tune, vacuum test/fix any vac leaks, timing
Somehow install a front recovery point (???)

If I end up wanting to tow the dude (get better fuel economy at 75 than the dude gets at 55), my Cummins needs =
Frame for roof tent
Plate for crane
New tow mirrors
Washer fluid reservoir
Battery terminals
AC charge
Dome light
Wipers
Headlights

If I want to rip around camp on my vintage 2 stroke, it needs =
Clutch
Ignition parts
Battery charge

Not so bad, huh. The dude is the priority, probably won’t have time or especially MONEY to do anything else yet considering I’m closing on a house, getting a haircut, and going to a Riff Raff concert next week.

Let’s see what can get knocked out this weekend...

Thanks to @FARMAN33 @HemiAlex @samc2447 and I, The Dude now has 4 speeds again. Rebuilt 4spd and split case courtesy of @houstonfj40 went in no problem. Stoked!

354B746E-403E-4E2D-9666-E69C6A70650F.jpeg
F56EBDAC-0F43-409A-AE68-71D70F34DF5C.jpeg
837B2C53-A6B7-4743-B42C-76403A726B84.jpeg
C5164310-07DA-4749-9A68-F40D07A190AB.jpeg

6FCD673C-8F3F-4D23-81DD-C59F169E4337.jpeg

Great day! Lots of past lessons put to great effect. 7 hours is a new record!

Nice work! That garage is the best. I miss working in there! Also happy to hear The Dude is ready to rock and roll! @js0k

@HemiAlex @FARMAN33 @samc2447 @houstonfj40 6.5 hours next time? Man I miss Shipley’s donuts. I want a kolache now.

I’m just happy I’m not the youngest guy there any more.

In addition to the new trans, which has been flawless (just had to tighten up the nice hex key drain plugs), the dude got a mini cooling system refresh this weekend. New 180 t stat, some water wetter (because race tractor) and a proper temp gauge to combat the overheating paranoia I always have on trips. Newsflash- stays at 180 even at 3k RPM on the highway with roof tent. When I thought it was overheating, it was probably just heat soaked from hours of hills, and actually just 190.

528F56C2-CBA8-4211-B77D-1AA9D13DF274.jpeg

Oh yeah, I also re-overlanded it (managed to fit hi lift and roof tent at the same time). I have some Noico coming tomorrow, then that can go down and the carpet can go back in, then I just have to knuckle rebuild, tune up, install stickers, create a front recovery point (or quick and dirty 2x4 steel front winch bumper?), and hopefully acquire a skid plate to protect my new trans and I’m ready for Jambo.

684F4512-F613-4C3B-886B-BD1B8CC510C2.jpeg

Tow points, unless you want to go find a 100 series at the junk yard. They have a looped and downward-pointed style that will work for you.

What a rig part 2. The dude ate up Jambo. 2, 3 and 3.5 star trails for two whole days. Just one battle scar on passenger rear quarter from a wall tap. No lockers means sometimes (most of the time) I have to pin it to win it. Very shocked and impressed that nothing broke. My tailpipe fell off but that’s to be expected. Had to put it back a couple hours into the drive home due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Found a cool winch bumper idea at Jambo so that and a rear locker and I’d REALLY rip. As is, I have already managed to get up 2 lines that a locked 100 had to winch up. Only needed a small tug twice- once when rear driveshaft high centered because I took a stupid line, and once when rear diff high centered. A rear locker might’ve helped with the latter.

Kinda thinking I want to do 4:10s “while I’m in there”... and then put 315s (or a tall and skinny 35 if that exists?) on and really get it. What do y’all think? Wheelin with the boyz is definitely one of my favorite activities, and building the dude a little more won’t impede on the other activities I use it for. Will suffer a couple mph on the highway though.
FA1A3C6A-E41E-4BE4-A52D-875FE198610C.jpeg

ADC091D0-9163-4781-809B-9399075F46FD.jpeg

A65691B7-E0F9-4277-9BBA-5704341D001E.jpeg

F1D4F303-8E76-432B-ADF0-1DDEC35AA1BF.jpeg

65C56DEE-2459-4772-B023-D763FC5E59C5.jpeg

Noice!! I love that you wheel it! Looks like a great time.

Yes, I completely agree with the strengths and weaknesses of the 60's. A good steel rear bumper is a must. The rear quarters are the next most vulnerable. Crawl ratio is too fast.

The H55F will give you a slower crawl ratio than 4.10's, but together it's ideal for both trails and highways (with 33" tires). I have yet to do this.

I'd love to have the Auburn LSD with electric locker. Amazing how well these rigs 'wheel even stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom