Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much to report as far as the dude goes. Have just been dailying it. Just ordered an aluminum 3 row rad, OEM hoses, and OEM clutch slave return spring for it. Want to get it cruising cooler on the highway now that there’s more resistance.

View attachment 2370893

It got hot enough out that I felt the need to get the AC going. My AC idle up VSV is bad. Fixing that is on my list, but for now I’m just using the previous owners hotwired switch in the dash, and manually hooking manifold vac to the carb when I want AC idle up. The next step is hotwiring a 22RE VSV in, then actually trying to fix the stock AC electronics. It’s all here, just need to check all the pins on the AC amp and go from there.

View attachment 2370894

One annoying thing that recently developed is a stumble when hot. I unfortunately traced this back to the same thing that’s been giving me hell since the beginning- Intake manifold EGR delete plate. I’m on my second plate and third OEM graphite gasket. Anything else I should attempt before JB welding that junk??

I attempted to snug up the EGR plate bolts and... one of them is just spinning. Excellent

Fixed the vac leak! Don’t want to say how but it definitely wasn’t with half a tube of JB weld. Didn’t realize how poorly it was driving when warm until now! Manifold vac is at 16 (was 8!!), need to dial in the lean drop and timing again to get back to 20, but it’s a lot better than it was. No more stalling and falling on its face when attempting to start from a stop! She can now roll out without any gas. Vac leak grew gradually so I didn’t realize it was there until it got really bad!

17F6BF5F-0214-4845-B4D7-17FFCEE018F4.jpeg

1289BBCE-A2A2-4AE6-9690-EA2157B2967A.jpeg

That’s better, put the timing at 10*, and replaced a couple cracking vacuum caps. Messed with the idle speed a little but haven’t done a lean drop since I installed the cityracer.

Still just dailying this thing.

4CF20D49-0393-40B6-B216-4F1B6CAC4B40.jpeg

Oh yeah, put an aluminum rad in it too.
6DEA3737-50BD-4134-8E5F-0D51338C71B5.jpeg

Great write up! Cool journey! Nice rig! Welcome.

Looks like your running at tad warm on the idiot temp gauge. Have you checked your engine temp another way? Thermo gun?

Agreed !

You need to do the Koso gauge that I've got and then we can tune your in dash gauge down with a resistor. I've never seen two factory gauges read in the same range.

Looks like your running at tad warm on the idiot temp gauge. Have you checked your engine temp another way? Thermo gun?

Thanks man! I checked awhile ago and it was fine, just creeps up there when I’m cruising 70 (60 on the speedo is 69 on GPS). Don’t really trust the $6 rockauto sending unit, but when I blew my HG it was higher than normal, and if I shut it off then restart after a few minutes it’s in the red due to heat soaking. Cooling system is all new so I’m not too worried!!

Agreed !

You need to do the Koso gauge that I've got and then we can tune your in dash gauge down with a resistor. I've never seen two factory gauges read in the same range.

I picked up a splice for my upper rad hose to get some real temp instrumentation installed, just haven’t done it yet. Bought splice for 1 1/2” hose, seems too small but I haven’t actually tried 🤔

What mama don’t know won’t hurt her, right??

The dude now has surfboard carrying capabilities and a spare tire carrier. More room in the back for ice cold brewchachos. Now let’s see if I can get the receiver hitch installed tonight.

B7CB9B21-F8FE-4F0D-B465-A55B0EFDD1A8.jpeg
B2B0BCB3-12BF-4324-8403-E2819F31A6EC.jpeg

Yea Toyota and aftermarket sellers seem to sell various versions of temp senders...I've noticed they have various ranges marked on the sender itself. I stuck with the part number for a stock 60 and it brought the temp gauge down to work correctly, no need for resistors. 3 years using this with factory gauge with refreshed cooling system and not a single hiccup up to 13k feet and 120 degree ambient temps. Don't hack up the stock stuff :)

83420-20020

With a 190° thermostat and nearly new OEM cooling system, mine runs on hot days up to 203°, loaded. Idiot gauge is below the halfway point. These motors are more tolerate than most, but overheating any engine is a death sentence. On the plus side, you don't have overhead cams, timing belts, and 46 sensors to complicate things more.

With a 190° thermostat and nearly new OEM cooling system, mine runs on hot days up to 203°, loaded. Idiot gauge is below the halfway point. These motors are more tolerate than most, but overheating any engine is a death sentence. On the plus side, you don't have overhead cams, timing belts, and 46 sensors to complicate things more.

With 104* ambient temps my truck will run at 189* while driving. Doesn’t build heat while driving on flat ground. If I get into long inclines, it may gain 6-10* but drop as soon as the load drops.

if I let it idle at 850rpm with the ac on it will run up to 210* within 10 mins and ac performance falls off. If I hand throttle it to 1200 rpm, it will stay at the thermostat temp and ac stays strong.

I let it idle for 20 mins while talking to a friend with the ac going and it got to 220* and didn’t blow a hose or leak. I was amazed. As soon as I started driving it, the temps fell back in line quickly.

I’m hoping that the 3fe 80 series fan clutch will keep the temps down at low speed and idle. My current aisin fan clutch is maybe 4 years old.

With 104* ambient temps my truck will run at 189* while driving. Doesn’t build heat while driving on flat ground. If I get into long inclines, it may gain 6-10* but drop as soon as the load drops.

if I let it idle at 850rpm with the ac on it will run up to 210* within 10 mins and ac performance falls off. If I hand throttle it to 1200 rpm, it will stay at the thermostat temp and ac stays strong.

I let it idle for 20 mins while talking to a friend with the ac going and it got to 220* and didn’t blow a hose or leak. I was amazed. As soon as I started driving it, the temps fell back in line quickly.

I’m hoping that the 3fe 80 series fan clutch will keep the temps down at low speed and idle. My current aisin fan clutch is maybe 4 years old.
Seems to me it's working fine.

Seems to me it's working fine.

I agree. I just want the AC to work better at low speeds and I really don't want to add a pusher fan in front of the radiator.

I’ve had the dude for over a year now, here’s my report:

3559CA1D-04A2-4D2D-B978-C89F5E5F4D73.jpeg

• Drives straight as an arrow at 65+mph with no hands on the wheel
  • Starts right up every time
  • AC, albeit hot wired (don’t use it much), is ice cold
  • Just put a Bluetooth headunit and speakers in it so it now jams out pretty good.
  • Despite a few issues popping up in the sorting phase, it has never left me stranded.
  • Probably my favorite vehicle I’ve had... I say probably to make my C10 feel good but we all know what’s what...
  • Super fun daily driver
  • Did I mention it runs like a dream and is super smooth?
Remaining items on my list:
  • FJ80 fan clutch
  • Straight PS pulley
  • Real temp gauge
  • Brakes
  • Knuckle rebuild
  • Actually fix AC
  • 6x9s in the back (just have 5.5s in the doors now)
  • ???
If I really want to go crazy I could see H55 and sniping it but for now 4spd and cityracer are juuust fine for my uses. And I initially wanted to rust repair and paint it but that really isn’t a priority anymore, everyone mentions and loves the, uhh, “patina” and wear it has.

I’m sure I’m missing some stuff but I haven’t posted in awhile and needed to put something out there.

Hopefully the dude serves me well for many more years! Treat em right and they’ll treat you right, right?

EC6891BD-B5AC-46EF-BAEE-19516695F05A.jpeg

It looks perfect! I like the stock look with stance.
Best thing you can do for the sound system is to put copious amounts of sound deadening. I say this because at listening levels while driving is much too loud while parked in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom