Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How’s it going guys and gals, long time lurker here but as of last night I’m finally a cruiser owner. After a few 4runners I finally stepped up my game to an engine-less 60 series that has some good parts stashed in the trunk. Being a Chevy inline 6 fan I have wanted to build a 2F for awhile and figured this would be perfect to stab said 2F into. I built a hot 292 for my ‘69 C10 and would love a similar recipe in a wag.

I do not yet HAVE the 2F I’d like to build so if anyone has one they’d part with in Texas I’m interested!

2E5ABF0B-CFB7-49AF-8CEF-1EF522605307.jpeg
B11F0AEE-F43C-4DB4-8B54-F0949BBAF71D.jpeg
701356C0-3F17-4812-8E70-209ED84E157F.jpeg
1D670321-BA42-479C-B763-32128AF4F542.jpeg

Nice and welcome to the madness!! :flipoff2: <--- official MUD Welcome
Mosley Motors does a hopped up 2F so you may want to look at what they are doing.
Lots and lots of info on here so give us some low down what your plans are with the rig, build, etc.!

Nice and welcome to the madness!! :flipoff2: <--- official MUD Welcome
Mosley Motors does a hopped up 2F so you may want to look at what they are doing.
Lots and lots of info on here so give us some low down what your plans are with the rig, build, etc.!

Thanks! I love Nolens 4.4 but definitely can’t afford that.. the goal is rings, hone, gaskets, and 80 thou or so off the head then Weber 38 (or dump for troll hole), HEI, header. If a 2F doesn’t pop up in the near future I’d entertain a 350 swap too. That actually seems smarter on account of no 2F coming with the vehicle but I don’t want to give up on the tractor motor quite yet.

It also needs some rust repair on a rocker and the rear wheel arches. Once it’s running I’ll see about tigging that up but for now it will be parked until I find a power plant and wrap up another project..

Thanks! I love Nolens 4.4 but definitely can’t afford that.. the goal is rings, hone, gaskets, and 80 thou or so off the head then Weber 38 (or dump for troll hole), HEI, header. If a 2F doesn’t pop up in the near future I’d entertain a 350 swap too. That actually seems smarter on account of no 2F coming with the vehicle but I don’t want to give up on the tractor motor quite yet.

It also needs some rust repair on a rocker and the rear wheel arches. Once it’s running I’ll see about tigging that up but for now it will be parked until I find a power plant and wrap up another project..
Why go with Weber? Not much love for them here. Trollhole has been having some QC issues recently so I would recommend going with a City Racer instead as they are Taiwanese made and much better quality. If nothing else, look at the all EFI units that have been released as of the last couple years, lots and lots going on there from AFI, Holley, GoEFI, etc. with great results. Not to mention the fun of no longer having to deal with cold weather carb starts.

Why go with Weber? Not much love for them here. Trollhole has been having some QC issues recently so I would recommend going with a City Racer instead as they are Taiwanese made and much better quality. If nothing else, look at the all EFI units that have been released as of the last couple years, lots and lots going on there from AFI, Holley, GoEFI, etc. with great results. Not to mention the fun of no longer having to deal with cold weather carb starts.

I hear ya, the only reason is that a redline Weber 38 with adapter for 2F intake came with the truck. Love the 32/36 on a 22r but I understand a 38 is less cfm than the orig carb? I dunno, I’m leaning 350 right now anyways if I can scrounge up some used stuff.

Official Mud Welcome :flipoff2:

Looks like you got a good vehicle. Download the FSMs from this site. Baseline what it needs to be safe to drive and go from there.

There are those who say go Aisin and those who say Weber.

TBI is an option. But it does cost more.

If you go Chevy small block. The 5.3 is the popular.

This forum and its wealth of knowledge and support is a great resource on many repairs and projects.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Official Mud Welcome :flipoff2:

Looks like you got a good vehicle. Download the FSMs from this site. Baseline what it needs to be safe to drive and go from there.

There are those who say go Aisin and those who say Weber.

TBI is an option. But it does cost more.

If you go Chevy small block. The 5.3 is the popular.

This forum and its wealth of knowledge and support is a great resource on many repairs and projects.

Good Luck!

Thanks man, figuring out why it doesn’t want to roll (probably brakes), getting something under the hood and rust repairing the wheel wells & a rocker panel is all I’m looking at right now, it was a daily driver before it overheated in Houston traffic.

Can’t really touch it until I wrap up an axle rebuild, 22r install & de smog, W56 swap and brakes all around on an ‘84 runner. Exciting stuff and I’ve learned a lot (that will translate to the 60).

Until then just hunting for parts! Whatever materializes will

Oops I accidentally pressed send... will determine what route I take.

So I guess this will be this cruisers build thread too? What shall I name her?

Oops I accidentally pressed send... will determine what route I take.

So I guess this will be this cruisers build thread too? What shall I name her?

@js0k she kinda looks like a “Donna” to me.

You have a nice canvas to work with there. I’m not sure where your located but there are some good peoples in Texas.

@CenTXFJ60 @HemiAlex @abtx4x4 to name a few.

Look forward to following the build.

@js0k she kinda looks like a “Donna” to me.

You have a nice canvas to work with there. I’m not sure where your located but there are some good peoples in Texas.

@CenTXFJ60 @HemiAlex @abtx4x4 to name a few.

Look forward to following the build.

Thanks man, I like Donna, like from Cheech and Chong 🤔?

Hey, I’m following you on the ‘gram! And is CenTX the “Jim” I hear so much about?

I’m an hour south of Houston and 20 minutes from the gulf, needless to say this is one of very few old Toyotas in the area... I guess rust prevention is going to be a big one too.

Lake Jackson, on the gulf coast an hour south of Houston!
Ah ha. Lots of good cruiser folks in the Houston market. If you ever get up to the Austin/SA area, would be great to connect. Look forward to watching your progress on this truck

Ah ha. Lots of good cruiser folks in the Houston market. If you ever get up to the Austin/SA area, would be great to connect. Look forward to watching your progress on this truck

Thanks! I would love to take this thing out there and to big bend and beyond once I have an engine figured out! Since you’re a 60 series guy in Tx I have to ask- do you happen to know anyone who has a 60 series 2F or a 350/4spd adapter sitting around? ;)

Dang. I was gonna tell my buddies in Houston about a cheap 60 with no motor. You snagged it before I could tell them. I follow the PO on Instagram. Don’t know if I ever met him or not.

If you find a 2F, just run the Weber, you already have it. I ran one for a number of years and never had a problem with it. I switched back to stock because I wanted to have AC idle-up. I think it had better throttle response but that could have had more to do with a less restrictive air cleaner. I had a large open element filter on the Weber vs the stock 2F housing.

Real talk though, if I had a 60 that needed a motor I’d probably go with a GM 5.3 truck motor. Do it right the first time. 2F’s are cool and all, but American power is cheaper :) (although not necessarily, adapters, gauges, transmissions, crossmembers...)

Thanks! I would love to take this thing out there and to big bend and beyond once I have an engine figured out! Since you’re a 60 series guy in Tx I have to ask- do you happen to know anyone who has a 60 series 2F or a 350/4spd adapter sitting around? ;)
Wow...tough one there. I have a few 2F’s and looking to put them in a future restores or two. V-8’s are wonderful and have a ton of advantages. I’d be all over them, but I chose to go another path which is putting turbo diesels in these trucks. The V8 will eat it up on the highway but the 12HT’s get better fuel mileage, carry tons of torque, hold moderate to somewhat steep hills speeds..and bottom line they are just cool. I’d never sell you on one or the other, but I’ve stuck with the later due to personal preferences. I can tell you the 12HT just tractors up obstacles and seems to work very little vs the peer motors.

Dang. I was gonna tell my buddies in Houston about a cheap 60 with no motor. You snagged it before I could tell them. I follow the PO on Instagram. Don’t know if I ever met him or not.

If you find a 2F, just run the Weber, you already have it. I ran one for a number of years and never had a problem with it. I switched back to stock because I wanted to have AC idle-up. I think it had better throttle response but that could have had more to do with a less restrictive air cleaner. I had a large open element filter on the Weber vs the stock 2F housing.

Real talk though, if I had a 60 that needed a motor I’d probably go with a GM 5.3 truck motor. Do it right the first time. 2F’s are cool and all, but American power is cheaper :) (although not necessarily, adapters, gauges, transmissions, crossmembers...)

That’s the one! There was a TON of interest in it but I was the only one foolhardy enough to go there so soon.. the ol 12 valve didn’t miss a beat though and the weather cleared up! 1hr drive took 2.5 thanks to standstill traffic, flooded feeders and dead stop lights...

A 5.3 would be nice but I’m hoping to adhere to a very modest budget, I don’t think my initial plan will involve anything with a brain.

D64FDE13-F0C8-484B-9CB6-3696A8CCFBC3.png

E43ABB4A-5CB0-4D76-ACF2-50DC9A5FF120.jpeg

Wow...tough one there. I have a few 2F’s and looking to put them in a future restores or two. V-8’s are wonderful and have a ton of advantages. I’d be all over them, but I chose to go another path which is putting turbo diesels in these trucks. The V8 will eat it up on the highway but the 12HT’s get better fuel mileage, carry tons of torque, hold moderate to somewhat steep hills speeds..and bottom line they are just cool. I’d never sell you on one or the other, but I’ve stuck with the later due to personal preferences. I can tell you the 12HT just tractors up obstacles and seems to work very little vs the peer motors.

I would love nothing more than diesel power but isn’t that $10k+ to do!? I’d like to shake the truck apart with a 4bt but even that would bust my wallet open a little farther than I want. Maybe someday! For now I just want to get this thing puttering around for, say, under $1,500.

Ok, that’s probably not gonna happen, but I feel like these two options could play out:

Cheap 2F someone pulled to swap in a V8, brush hone, minimal machine work, OEM gasket set, HEI, Weber, header I already have and boom 💥

On the contrary, V8 adapter set someone pulled to go back to stock, enginetech re-main’d junkyard 350, sell off parts pile for swap moneys, also boom 💥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom