Builds “The Dude”: New Owner w/ Basket Case FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The dude has been aligned, and drives pretty well besides a nice new vibration! The vibe is mechanical and audible at about 40mph (haven’t gone faster), and also happens on deceleration.

This was not present before I took the Dude apart last week, which makes me think it‘s because of something I’ve done.

The back is now empty and rear bumper is off (usually there are a lot of tools back there). Maybe the rear is a little high and throwing the DS angle off because of this?

Different wheels and tires are on, and they’ve been sitting (not likely)

Sway bar endlinks were messed with and are pretty bad (not likely)

Going to throw some weight in the back and go for a drive, then check driveshaft bolts, u joint, slip yoke, and pinion play, and hope it’s something simple! 😬
Rear DS bolts loose as ***

Last day before leaving for @HemiAlex’s place tonight.

240B3876-0992-4AF2-B95B-A2C1F69972BB.jpeg

Exh doney and lock washers replaced
Fresh Rotella T4 poured in
Work light and lantern charging, aquatainer filling with water
Conspiracyscope.com shirts hand-printed to distribute to the masses

All I have left to do- besides packing (that list is seperate) is-
Grease new steering links, leaf bushings, driveshafts
Top off axles, trans, t case
Trim, acquire bolts for, and install rear bumper (FOR GOOD THIS TIME)
Adjust clutch slave
Hang exhaust a little better (metal zip ties?)
Top off fluids under hood
Install new air filter and make sure no vacuum leaks are present
Drill small pressure relief hole in gas cap
Hopefully GMRS radio comes today so I can install it
Get spares, tools, and gear together
Hit the road!

E94893ED-1FFA-4445-B5B4-174AFE29030A.jpeg

Corkscrew, Imogene, Yankee Boy, Red Mountain Pass, Hurricane, Ophir, Poughkeepsie, and I’m probably missing some. Black bear was done by the boyz while I was replacing my alternator and battery in town. Two days (and one late night) of trails were done by the dude with no charging system!

Fixed the PS and carb secondaries with some oreillys and classic cruiser parts in the elevation brewing parking lot before heading to Ouray via Gunny last week.

Wheelin and laughs were had, and the was topped off with a 14er scramble on Mt Sneffels.

Back in Texas now, 3k miles down this trip and the dude has performed flawlessly, started every time, got up to 19mpg and 92mph, easy-to-repair things may have broken but never left me stranded.

This is not the main SAS 5 The Dude post, just a random one. I need to get more pictures together. Was great meeting everyone!

The dude performed flawlessly, but there are a few things I’m going to do before the next trip- mostly organization related. My drawer-less sleeping platform and cooler didn’t cut it. I brought way too many tools and spares, and when a gallon of oil spilled all over the cargo area, it was a disaster. No more tools or fluids back there 😃
0CD8CF3C-D3B1-46E7-8280-02F315755C3D.jpeg

Remove rear heater, add essentials to tool bag and put under drivers seat, jumper cables and extinguisher under pass seat
Bolt in whatever radio head unit Alex has, and a dash cap
24x10 marine hatch in tailgate for recovery gear
Build carpeted drawer system for back
Air compressor in drivers side rear quarter panel, air tank under rig (VIAIR?)
Run power to rear for fridge too
Install ARB air locker in rear, and switches for that, compressor, and fridge in dash
Wash seat covers, put 1” of foam between seats and covers?
Winch= Wire up, finish bolting in, trim plate, acquire cover
Gamiviti roof rack, fuel (if I don’t build a swing out) and tool storage on roof
Add swing out to rear bumper (for spare, trasharoo, and Jerry can)

The Dude is an absolute champ of a 60! Johnny is pretty rad too. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. See you next year.

The dude is not abiding! Before I start digging into it, I figured I’d post this video to get some guesses as to what happened.

This weekend, I went on a one hour drive, and a couple minutes from the end, the dude started stumbling, and with any throttle would detonate/ping/diesel very badly. I basically idled the rest of the way at 25mph. Feels like it’s running on 5 cylinders. Perhaps the dieseling is because one cylinder is forced to combust without spark? It’s been proven that the dude has enough compression to diesel…

Nothing is “obviously” wrong; distributor isn’t loose, didn’t see any loose hoses. Probably going to start by taking the in-like spark tester to each cylinder, then popping the distributor cap.

What do y’all think?

Try a bottle of octane booster in the existing fuel to see if it fixes the issue temporarily, check your distributor and advance, inspect the spark plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom