The Bicycle Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a 29'er guy but I'm also 6'3". Some people complain about 29" wheels being hard to make tight turns and having more felt gyroscopic effect but I don't notice those as much on an XL frame. Bikes are almost as hard to get as guns and ammo now so you'll have to be the lookout. Geometries have really changed over the last few years. 'Low & Slack' are very popular (low bottom bracket height & slack headtube angles). You will be in a much more upright position than the GT frame.
I had really good luck with a Trek 120mm full suspension until recently switching to a carbon frame. Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. are all going to be pretty good 'bang-for-the-buck' rides, it will just be your preference. I'd also consider Marin and Jamis as well. I had a back-up bike from Marin and it was a great bike at a really good price. I've seen some good deals on the Mountain bike Classified SouthEast page if you're interested in used...

Good luck and keep us up to date on your search!

I have been riding 29er since 2011. I have no issues with tight turns. I am 5'10' and ride a medium full carbon full suspension specialized epic that I found on craigslist many years ago. I can see where people would have issues however you have to really lean the bike over and trust it. I grew up on motorbikes and 3 wheelers and mountain bikes in the woods are slow. Haha.

You also have 27.5 inch bikes now. I have never ridden one.

I usually look for bikes on Mountain bike news, photos, videos and events - Pinkbike - https://www.pinkbike.com/ - they have the best selection however bikes are really hard to buy right now. Pinkbike is where all the racers go to sell the previous year model for major discounts sine most were given the bikes for free.

Wait a few months when the new bikers get back on their previous routines and there should be a good selection of used bikes available. Same goes for all sporting goods, paddle boards, surf boards, kayaks, etc,

Good luck.

I would put the GT as vintage on ebay with some absurd price and see what happens.

Facebook marketplace has some bikes as well.

Looking for a true mountain bike or a gravel/greenway bike. There are a lot of different niche bikes these days but the gravel genre might fit the bill if you don’t need a true MTB. I have 2 29ers. A Santa Cruz Chameleon and a YETI SB5.5. If you want a test ride sometime I could bring both to uwharrie and let you tool around

I have a selection of vintage models that may fit the bill For cheap Entry option but all 20yrs old so nothing new and exciting

Well maybe not vintage......
Spotted these in a barber shop in walnut cove???

8F568428-951F-48CA-9698-88FDB634BB55.jpeg

I have a selection of vintage models that may fit the bill For cheap Entry option but all 20yrs old so nothing new and exciting

Well maybe not vintage......
Spotted these in a barber shop in walnut cove???

View attachment 2559852
Yes! Krate bike for me please! That is a nice one too!

Looking for a true mountain bike or a gravel/greenway bike. There are a lot of different niche bikes these days but the gravel genre might fit the bill if you don’t need a true MTB. I have 2 29ers. A Santa Cruz Chameleon and a YETI SB5.5. If you want a test ride sometime I could bring both to uwharrie and let you tool around

I appreciate the offer. that would mean I'd actually have to get to Uwharrie and be able to stay for more than 15 mins. That's been the challenge for me for a decade now. LOL

I'm hedging myself on specific bike mission, I'm not sure what I want just yet. At least for now, I'd mainly be greenway and gravel, but would like to be able to make a run on some trails as my fitness level increases. I havent hit any local shops, to see what feels right.

If I were you, I'd scour FB marketplace and craigslist for really nice older bikes, say 2012-2015 range. You will be able to find plenty of bikes that were state-of-the-art when they were new, but just don't make the cut nowadays and you won't pay a fortune. This way, you can get more bike than you really need for the money. Here's an example I found locally:

I did the same thing last year that I am advocating for you...bought a used 2012 Gary Fisher full suspension bike for $850. Owner was meticulous with upkeep and it has several upgrades. It's more bike than my old fat ass will ever need. I just wanted something to ride the trails with Nathan.
IMG_3206[1].JPG

I found my 2012 epic for $800 on craigs. Full carbon frame. ;<) Added additional carbon bits over the year.

Needed lots of maintenance.

FA356BBE-1445-4E82-8B9C-F6E19649D29E.jpeg

If I were you, I'd scour FB marketplace and craigslist for really nice older bikes, say 2012-2015 range. You will be able to find plenty of bikes that were state-of-the-art when they were new, but just don't make the cut nowadays and you won't pay a fortune. This way, you can get more bike than you really need for the money. Here's an example I found locally:

I did the same thing last year that I am advocating for you...bought a used 2012 Gary Fisher full suspension bike for $850. Owner was meticulous with upkeep and it has several upgrades. It's more bike than my old fat ass will ever need. I just wanted something to ride the trails with Nathan.
View attachment 2560274
That's the plan, Dave. I'm not in a huge rush, and I can steal my daughter's nice hybrid we got her about 5 years ago. Mens bike that fits me better than her, but the price was too cheap to pass up.

I'd eventually like to have something I can put on the back of the truck or camper, and put a few miles here and there on it.

I'd love to find a vintage 80s gt or robinson 24 or 26 inch bmx cruiser, but I'd be having to use voice to text, or some other method of communication after I yard sale myself 15 mins after getting to the rhythm track at the park. LOL

That's the plan, Dave. I'm not in a huge rush, and I can steal my daughter's nice hybrid we got her about 5 years ago. Mens bike that fits me better than her, but the price was too cheap to pass up.

I'd eventually like to have something I can put on the back of the truck or camper, and put a few miles here and there on it.

I'd love to find a vintage 80s gt or robinson 24 or 26 inch bmx cruiser, but I'd be having to use voice to text, or some other method of communication after I yard sale myself 15 mins after getting to the rhythm track at the park. LOL
Also, once up and running I recommend STRAVA to track yearly miles.

I know when I rode a 29er full suspension with disc brakes for the first time, it was a game changer.

Also, once up and running I recommend STRAVA to track yearly miles.

I know when I rode a 29er full suspension with disc brakes for the first time, it was a game changer.
Growing up in Orlando, I was doing 7k to 9k a year on a road bike. Averaged 30 miles a day on my lunch "hourish", and 60 or so on the weekend.. I couldn't crack 170 lbs if i ate an elephant. Happiness was flat ground and neighborhoods that went under during construction. miles of empty roads, which was rare. Fresh, flat, smooth asphalt.

Heck, even as 13 year olds, we would often ride 25 to 35 miles round trip on a bmx bike to ride a ramp, a building, or some feature. Not counting the countless laps on the bmx track nearby.

Growing up in Orlando, I was doing 7k to 9k a year on a road bike. Averaged 30 miles a day on my lunch "hourish", and 60 or so on the weekend.. I couldn't crack 170 lbs if i ate an elephant. Happiness was flat ground and neighborhoods that went under during construction. miles of empty roads, which was rare. Fresh, flat, smooth asphalt.

Heck, even as 13 year olds, we would often ride 25 to 35 miles round trip on a bmx bike to ride a ramp, a building, or some feature. Not counting the countless laps on the bmx track nearby.
Funny, I rented a bike a couple of my stays in Celebration for a little afternoon riding / stress release. Now, I'm talking $300ish "mountain bikes" so I wasn't exactly killing it, but I set a 13 mile route and when finished I don't think I'd broken a sweat.... in like June. Where I am in SE Wake County (Cary), it is hilly AF. I choose to hit the ATT with 40 mins driving round trip, just so much more enjoyable to me. Amazing how much difference it can make for a big boy like me.

The latest trend for higher end mountain bikes is low and slack geometry which creates stability with speed and allows for some crazy fast descents with loads of control. Low and slack also works surprisingly well for climbing with a steeper seat tube angle to prevent wheel lift. However I've read that this geometry is not very good or enjoyable for neighborhood rides, greenways, or casual XC and is more akin to taking a funny car for making a grocery store run. There have been some pro riders that ride the new geometry for competition but prefer the older and more upright geometry for fun and the "wippy" nature of short chainstays.

I've got a 2013 Kona Unit with short chainstays, 68* head angle, 180mm cranks, singlespeed, Reba 100mm fork, 70mm stem (effiectively 50mm), and wide carbon bars, and love it. It will cruise on the greenway and is a blast on any eastern NC singletrack. The geometry isn't the most stable at high speed descending but the bike feels playful and nimble for cross country.
My previous bike was a Surly Karate Monkey. Singlespeed, rigid, 180mm cranks, skinny wheels, and wide tires. The 70* head angle and short chainstays made for some serious pucker events on the Uwharrie trails. Sketchy at speed is an understatement since the steep head angle and short chainstays along with fat tires trying to roll off the rims made the bike really twitchy.

Lookup the Grim Donut. A mountain bike with a custom built frame with the geometry of low and slack pushed to the extreme. On the first run during testing it was faster than the rider's normal go to bike for downhill.

1611335720404.png

I would agree that if you can find a nice used bike local that’s the way to go. My Santa Cruz hard tail is my do it all bike. I have three sets of wheels for the different riding types. Trail, greenway, urban. I can also set it up for bikepacking with various bags and such. I am a huge fan of modern geometry, for me personally it lets me sit back in the saddle and it’s much more comfortable for my back. Whatever you get, you can’t go wrong, it’s a bike, they are all great

I would agree that if you can find a nice used bike local that’s the way to go. My Santa Cruz hard tail is my do it all bike. I have three sets of wheels for the different riding types. Trail, greenway, urban. I can also set it up for bikepacking with various bags and such. I am a huge fan of modern geometry, for me personally it lets me sit back in the saddle and it’s much more comfortable for my back. Whatever you get, you can’t go wrong, it’s a bike, they are all great
I will agree that it's a bike, they are all great. The subtle differences between low and slack aka modern/progressive vs older and upright are minor in comparison to just starting with a good bike. I see too many friends that want to start with Walmart/Target bikes and one ride out, they hate mountain biking. A nice 10 or 15 year old bike with quality components would be a much better and fun investment.

Posted in Raleigh today...
Screenshot_20210122-194104_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 2560274
Nice bike!

I went riding for the first time in a long time with my son. While stopped for a break, another rider came up and stopped on a parallel trail about 15 feet away and said "Nice bike. What year is it?" I told him it's a 2013 Kona Unit. I saw that he was riding a Kona as well but with the dark graphics I couldn't tell which model. I asked him if he had a Unit and he said yes but it was a frame replacement for an earlier model that broke. He said the new frame was low and long and much heavier than his old model and that he hates the new frame. He said he wishes he could find an older frame like mine. He said his previous bike was an orange 2012 Kona Unit. His wife chimed in and said he complains about the frame to everyone and really hates it. The new frame is a 2020 model.

DERP!!! Some people should just stay in their basement

Screenshot_20210125-163412_Facebook.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom