The Bicycle Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a chance to check out Williamson Preserve down near Clayton today. Beautiful weather and great trails!! Many thanks to TLC for preserving a beautiful property... will definitely go back!!View attachment 2838350
Nice rig, both of them.

Hey @Pick is that area true MTB trails, or are there more casual trails? Never been, always looking for new places to take my tank (read: true MTB trails are too much for the ebike/me).
My experience with the local MTB trails from easy to hard:
  • American Tobacco Trail
  • Umstead
  • Crabtree, Harris Lake, RTP
  • SanLee, CNF
  • 286, Beaver Dam
  • Rocky Road, New Light

I know the majority of the posts and interest on here is for MTB’s but was curious if anyone on here knows or has experience with Tri-bikes? Two wheel racer bike intended for triathalons.

Hoping to get smart enough to learn what’s what so I can snag an older model that can be effectively modified into something respectable that won’t require another mortgage.

Did a 70.3 relay event (run leg) a couple weeks ago and was so amazed at all the shiny toys and gear…. Kinda got a bad case of FOMO and jealousy…. Yes I know the #1 performance enhancer is just riding and training but man it’s fun to nerd out on all the tech.

Hit me up if anyone has first hand experience or advise on building up an old one for a newbie. I guess the other option is buying a road bike and slapping on some aero bars but pretty sure the geometry is less suited for doing the run off the bike.

I know the majority of the posts and interest on here is for MTB’s but was curious if anyone on here knows or has experience with Tri-bikes? Two wheel racer bike intended for triathalons.

Hoping to get smart enough to learn what’s what so I can snag an older model that can be effectively modified into something respectable that won’t require another mortgage.

Did a 70.3 relay event (run leg) a couple weeks ago and was so amazed at all the shiny toys and gear…. Kinda got a bad case of FOMO and jealousy…. Yes I know the #1 performance enhancer is just riding and training but man it’s fun to nerd out on all the tech.

Hit me up if anyone has first hand experience or advise on building up an old one for a newbie. I guess the other option is buying a road bike and slapping on some aero bars but pretty sure the geometry is less suited for doing the run off the bike.
I did some research fir a bit before I realized i don't look good in spandex😳. Most of the aero kits I saw were for time trial type events where there is no pack to draft from. The good thing about road bikes vs. MTB bikes is the standards haven't changed as much over the years. I picked up a carbon frame trek not too long ago for $70 as an indoor trainer. What I decided, before ultimately deciding not to road bike, was that a 5-7 year old carbon setup with 105 groupset or better was the way to go.

I have a wayyyyyy too embarrassing story of being a 19 year old male in spandex on a very long bike ride where the mind wanders to things a 19 year old male thinks of.......and had a rather unusual sunburn , after being informed of said sunburn by a woman at a stoplight....
:oops:

45 miles from home. Dont ride due west all day in the florida sun....

Bought an old cruiser bike for my wife at an auction several months ago. Freshened up. New tires and tubes. As it turns out, chrome actually can get you home!

46D538D3-48AD-4921-8921-36081C98F20F.jpeg
07D292D6-73EF-4505-8DF7-8A8463D2A9A8.jpeg
033C6221-A6CB-42AB-A13C-B78123C6B53D.jpeg

thats a nice bike Dave, something about the reflectors on the wheels is off... shouldn't they be opposing , to balance the other? (or are they positioned accordingly to provide proper balance of the wheel)
also I question if the fronts should both be amber and the rear wheels should both be red... not sure why I think that. nice bike either way

thats a nice bike Dave, something about the reflectors on the wheels is off... shouldn't they be opposing , to balance the other? (or are they positioned accordingly to provide proper balance of the wheel)
also I question if the fronts should both be amber and the rear wheels should both be red... not sure why I think that. nice bike either way
Damifino. The reflectors were on the bike when I bought it. They are so over the top, I decided to leave them.

That entire setup is over the top. I really like it. As usual, nice job brother.

Picked this one up lightly used on Xmas Eve, mid-drive 750w motor, 24x3 street tires, hydraulic brakes. This thing absolutely flies and is very comfortable. The gearing is awful so I will fix that; and have a programming cable on the way to smooth out the jerky power delivery. Destined to be wife's primary ride, but I'm sure I'll put some more miles on it too...
1640697243710.png

I am looking for a 26' rear wheel for the wifes bike. don't need anything special. it's a cheap bike, but I might have to buy another bike to get a wheel. anybody have some junk to get rid of?

Here’s my ‘87 26” Aluminum Trek drop bar conversion I built up for the C&O canal trail two seasons ago… grrr. Kinda sexy. Before & After…

Ninja edit: Quirky features include original and totally functioning Biopace oblong chain rings and a shark tooth equipped rear u-brake mounted under the chainstay. AND special MKS touring pedals so I can tour hundreds of miles in flip flops, Birkenstocks or Bedrock Adventure sandals in total hippy comfort.

6C13090D-810D-44CC-9489-34C01F883D9D.jpeg

E883282C-75F8-4047-9664-B69F9CF7AA2B.jpeg
098ED181-D711-42DB-939F-8F840013C3EA.jpeg
A0517898-6E38-4BFB-BD56-1CDEDE8EA287.jpeg
59071C93-B2E7-4122-A5AC-EE84B6258B72.jpeg
FCF33FD8-C86B-4FC0-A4EB-E0B2E5E65AD9.jpeg

Last edited:
What shock pump would you guys recommend? The fork nipple is recessed with limited access. I likely only need to add a few psi to support my weight better. I really need to be more active to recover my core strength that has been fading since I broke my back. Thanks for any input

What shock pump would you guys recommend?
I have one of these you can borrow if you want to give it a shot. Made for shocks - short throw, high pressure, threads onto Schraeder. I can swing it by tomorrow on my way to SC.

IMG_4385.jpeg

What shock pump would you guys recommend? The fork nipple is recessed with limited access. I likely only need to add a few psi to support my weight better. I really need to be more active to recover my core strength that has been fading since I broke my back. Thanks for any input
All modern shocks use a high pressure pump. Not sure the age of your shock. I have one if you want to borrow it.

Is it possible to rebuild this shock? Rockshox SID race? The negative chamber leaks. But I cannot find any info on the”race” model
1C590DFD-DF86-456F-9CBD-71C68DB3EBEA.jpeg

thanks so much Patrick, I have been searching like crazy and cannot find anything for that exact model. and it seems like I may not even find parts. a couple of O rings and the Golden touch is just my style... kinda like how I fixed the front brakes... thanks again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom