The Bicycle Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just received my 1UP rack and had my bike serviced. Looking forward to getting back out on the trails soon. It's been a few years.

Hmmmm, I sure hope I can get there with the meth, I mean cash first...

Screenshot_20210127-201003_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-200958_Facebook.jpg

So,question on overall sizing. I'm 6'1, 195 or so. I'd assume that would put me in a Large on average. How much difference would an XL, be (looks roughly 1 to 2 inches larger frame), or a medium (again, dropping an inch or so smaller).

You can size up but I'd check your stand-over clearance. A shorter stem or more backsweep in the bars would help the reach of the longer toptube but you'll want to make sure you're comfortable getting on/off for sure

You can size up but I'd check your stand-over clearance. A shorter stem or more backsweep in the bars would help the reach of the longer toptube but you'll want to make sure you're comfortable getting on/off for sure
Yeah. not many quality bikes locally on fb and cl. havent tried hitting any shops yet.

I just don't wanna risk repeatedly toptubin the fellas unnecessarily, and also dont wanna bap the kneecaps by going smaller. (part of the issue with the gt I have).

I may take some pics of the stem on the gt, to see if there are any options that could bring the bars up and back. That change alone could be a game changer on that bike

Yeah. not many quality bikes locally on fb and cl. havent tried hitting any shops yet.

I just don't wanna risk repeatedly toptubin the fellas unnecessarily, and also dont wanna bap the kneecaps by going smaller. (part of the issue with the gt I have).

I may take some pics of the stem on the gt, to see if there are any options that could bring the bars up and back. That change alone could be a game changer on that bike
At first-read, I thought @Pick told you to wear a "longer tube-top" and that you responded that you "don't wanna risk repeatedly tube-toppin' the fellas unnecessarily"

On the second-read, I realized that I completely mis-read things and that I have to stop drinking...

Last edited:
Another custom bike on parade... better approach angle for @JohnVee .

Screenshot_20210201-205443_Facebook.jpg

Well. that's one way to advertise

Screenshot_20210202-134136_Facebook.jpg

I am 6'2" (measured barefoot on hardwood floors) and I ride a Large frame now. I've had an XL full suspension bike and another L singlespeed rigid. I didn't like the XL FS bike but rode it for 6 years. The L singlespeed rigid was great but I wanted more stability.

Each bike is different and one manufacturers Large might be another manufacturers Medium or even Extra Large. Searching on FB and CL makes it even more difficult since bikes are in demand and you might have to purchase a bike if it feels good even though later you find it is the wrong size.

When I am looking for something on FB and CL, I feel like I am in a race with hundreds of other folks looking at the same item I am. I've had too many deals swept out from underneath me.

BTW, I have never hit the berries on the top tube and never come close to kneecaps to handlebars.

Anyone try buying a bike lately? It’s freakin’ nuts!
My boys turn 13 this May. Trying to get full suspension MTBs for the trails behind my house and a badass downhill park near us.
In late September 2020 I put deposits down on any 2 of 6 bikes.
2 Trek Fuels
2 Giant Trance
2 Specialized Rock Hoppers
Ideally, I’d get two of the same model to mitigate the twin bickering, but right now I’m hoping to get any 2 of the 6 on time.
Just got word one Trek for February arrival will come in late July and the other won’t show up before 2022-cross that off the list.
I can “probably” see one of the Giants in April.
For the specialized, I get to call back at the end of the month to get a status update to see if it will be remotely possible.

Ordered in SEPTEMBER.
Crazy!!!

Used bike prices are nuts too. I think I should stick to cheaper pursuits, like Cruisers and firearms...

@RedHeadedStepChild I thought Yankee kids had to make their own toys?

I was at an REI last week and heard the most honest sales pitch ever. The bike salesman told the customer "If you want to buy a bike today then this one is what you're gonna get". They had a single bike in stock. One of those weird ones that looks like a folding bike but isn't, in some garish color.

@RedHeadedStepChild I thought Yankee kids had to make their own toys?

I was at an REI last week and heard the most honest sales pitch ever. The bike salesman told the customer "If you want to buy a bike today then this one is what you're gonna get". They had a single bike in stock. One of those weird ones that looks like a folding bike but isn't, in some garish color.
Despite spending the majority of there lives snowbound, my children identify as Carolinian.

I have built a couple bikes lately and I’ve had no problem with ordering parts. I think complete bikes are hard to find, but you could probably build one up pretty quick and reasonable priced.

I have built a couple bikes lately and I’ve had no problem with ordering parts. I think complete bikes are hard to find, but you could probably build one up pretty quick and reasonable priced.
This would be a good suggestion but for the fact that I am a degenerate dilettante. I have a need for two bikes. I’d end up with 4/3 without one whole.

If you've seen my garage, you'll know why that's not an option right now. Another example is my 80 series, which hasnt moved very much in the last 8-12 months, with a to do list a mile long. LOLOL

Besides, Ive been away from bikes for so long, I would be afraid to overpay for junk.

Got a chance to check out Williamson Preserve down near Clayton today. Beautiful weather and great trails!! Many thanks to TLC for preserving a beautiful property... will definitely go back!!
20211113_113116.jpg

Got a chance to check out Williamson Preserve down near Clayton today. Beautiful weather and great trails!! Many thanks to TLC for preserving a beautiful property... will definitely go back!!

Hey @Pick is that area true MTB trails, or are there more casual trails? Never been, always looking for new places to take my tank (read: true MTB trails are too much for the ebike/me).

Hey @Pick is that area true MTB trails, or are there more casual trails? Never been, always looking for new places to take my tank (read: true MTB trails are too much for the ebike/me).
@little_joe they are both hiking and biking trails. They alternate direction each day... hikers one direction, bikers the other.

They were smooth flow-type trails, nothing difficult at all. There were a few creek crossings (no water, just down a steep bank and back up) but nothing difficult/scary at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom