The Bicycle Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am so sore. My bike has 4 inches of travel front and rear. I had too much air in my tires and my back tire is greenway slick. It was fun but lots of wasted effort with the back tire spinning. First jump, my phone went flying out of my pocket. So funny!

That place is a lot of fun. I went a year or so ago and the 'gravity' section is more than I need to be riding these days. I really enjoyed the xc trails but it's a haul from Raleigh.

I struggle with my phone as well. I like to have it accessible but worry about damaging it. I used to use this but my stem is too short for it to mount on now. I keep it in my camelbak most of the time but its a pain to access. #1stworldproblems

@Pick I skip the really hard stuff. ;<) Rocks hurt and clip ins make it more sketchy and I am not going to chance it.

The jumps are well designed and make it fun. I like fast flowy. Nothing crazy.

My post in spotted from Brumley and Beaver Dam reminded me that there is also this thread.

Any local Triangle guys want to get together and ride sometime soon? We've been pretty cautious with everything going on, but I feel pretty good about outdoor activities.

Figured I'd get a feel here if anyone is interested then can move this into DM or email to finalize when/where. @Pick @uzj100 , others?

My post in spotted from Brumley and Beaver Dam reminded me that there is also this thread.

Any local Triangle guys want to get together and ride sometime soon? We've been pretty cautious with everything going on, but I feel pretty good about outdoor activities.

Figured I'd get a feel here if anyone is interested then can move this into DM or email to finalize when/where. @Pick @uzj100 , others?
Would LOVE to ride... I've been doing some PT for hand issues so I've been off the bike for a bit (pre-loading my excuse for being slow) but I'll catch up eventually :)

30 miles of greenway start near my house. Or meet at local trails. Let me know and I am there.

Put me on the list. I'm always up for shredding some gnar on the trails.

@suboptimusprime is a local rider as well, I believe... Would love to do a meet-up and ride. Hopefully the temps and humidity will cooperate

I'm certainly up for a ride and it would be great to put faces with (screen)names. Agree the afternoon rains have been tough but I'd bet as dry as most trails have been things recover pretty fast. I do a bunch of trail work out at Cisco trails and could show people around there (along with RTP), also know CNF well and that place stays open more than most trails this time of year. That said, up for wherever the group decides.

Last edited:
I am up for whatever.

I approach greenway riding a little different - I ride a full suspension xc mountain bike that is 1x10 and is only so fast so I look for every off greenway feature to ride and jump. Reminds me of skateboarding in the 80s. There are all kinds of fun things to ride and jump and it keeps it interesting. Also, you can ride even with all the rain. I can bike my bike up today. It has been in the shop for 2 weeks. That is how backed up they are, fixing stuff.

Another thing that really works, is setting a day and time every week and just changing the venue. That way there are not 100 texts and emails flying trying to coordinate. Like every Tuesday at 6 and then we change the start location. Maybe just use this thread.

Everyone is invited and every skill level.

If we start at my place, after the ride we can sit on the deck/back yard and have beverages.

I approach greenway riding a little different - I ride a full suspension xc mountain bike that is 1x10 and is only so fast

Down with this too--I have an older CX bike but it is only semi functional (hilariously bad canti brakes) and is currently attached to a smart trainer. I could make it a runner if needed though.

Last edited:
Awesome! Nice to see there are a few of us. Do weeknights or weekends work better for folks? I'm open for either.

I am open to ride. Mountain or road. Put me on the list also

I'm certainly up for a ride and it would be great to put faces with (screen)names. Agree the afternoon rains have been tough but I'd bet as dry as most trails have been things recover pretty fast. I do a bunch of work out at Cisco and could show people around there (along with RTP), also know CNF well and that place stays open more than most trails this time of year. That said, up for wherever the group decides.
I work at NetApp and used to ride the RTP trails on a regular basis. The construction over there has really f'ed things up and crossing the road has gotten a little more hairy at lunch time.

I work at NetApp and used to ride the RTP trails on a regular basis. The construction over there has really f'ed things up and crossing the road has gotten a little more hairy at lunch time.

Yeah RTP has become a bit of a mess. I've looped it in with highlights from the Cisco trails across the street. I guess it would be good to get a sense of how many miles people want/need. I'm more of a 5-10 fun miles kinda guy and I think folks that want more usually get bummed out by Cisco/RTP. The strength of Cisco and RTP to an extent are the number of features and (IMO) the fun factor of some of the newer bits.

All this said, I'm up for whatever the group decides and obviously we can move it around.

Got my bike back from the shop after 3 weeks. Made me realize I need a back up xc mountain bike. Looking to buy August 31st. Also need a small xc mountain for my daughter. 29er wheels and disc brakes. Nothing crazy expensive if anyone has bikes laying around.

Got my bike back from the shop after 3 weeks. Made me realize I need a back up xc mountain bike. Looking to buy August 31st. Also need a small xc mountain for my daughter. 29er wheels and disc brakes. Nothing crazy expensive if anyone has bikes laying around.
What kind of work did you have done? The only items I leave to the pros are rear shocks due to the nitrogen charge and building/truing wheels. Building/truing wheels are some kind of devil magic. I built a truing stand and tried building/truing wheels a few times only to never be able to true them or overtightening the spokes.

You should consider a steel rigid single speed. No suspension, mechanical brakes, fat tires, and one gear.
1596728724535.png

@lumbee1 repack the bottom bracket. They are carbon cranks and I could not get them installed correctly originally and was not going to chance it again.

Bike repair and me do not get along at all. That is a good idea on the single speed rigid.

@lumbee1 repack the bottom bracket. They are carbon cranks and I could not get them installed correctly originally and was not going to chance it again.

Bike repair and me do not get along at all. That is a good idea on the single speed rigid.
Press fit or threaded BB? With threaded BB there is no repacking. If the seals have broken down enough that dirt is in there, you just toss them and install new ones. From my understanding, press fit is the same however removal and installation of new bearings requires the utmost attention to detail. PF BB are notorious for creaking if the proper amount of grease is not installed, the BB shell has been damaged, or BB has been installed skewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom