Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice work on the cluster. I need to do the same on mine.

I love that pic of the blacksmith shop.

dsc05772-jpg.1359854

It looks like you went right past my house. I live just outside of Huntsville off of hwy 72.

After about four or five coats of paint on the needles, I was very pleased with the finished product, so I put the cluster back together.....

View attachment 1363412
View attachment 1363413

Then I reinstalled the gauge cluster, hooked up the speedometer & connector, then the fusible link, and took it for a test drive. I'm happy to report, all gauges are working, the needles are nice and visible, and I'm pleased-as-punch with the outcome.

View attachment 1363414
Very nice refurb Rick! Love the color, visibility and luminosity of the needles, excellent color choice!

Thanks for the write up. Now I have reference material for when I do mine. You ARE going to give us a dark-garage-with-the-dash-lights-on pic, right?

Rick excellent work on the cluster, LED's are coming up soon on my rig and my brothers '76. Thanks also for responding to my radiator dilemma. I plan on keeping the old unit, having her repaired and pressure tested so I will have a back up

Thanks for the write up. Now I have reference material for when I do mine. You ARE going to give us a dark-garage-with-the-dash-lights-on pic, right?

Ye asked....

IMG_4645.jpg

Ah-h-h-h...thanks Rick.:grinpimp:

Old Man Winter is approaching, so I started the process of the re-installing the Winter Clothing. First, removed the nice Bikini that it wore over the Summer, then I cleaned up all the adjoining surfaces, and installed some new OEM weatherstripping & @Racer65 63167-90302 & 93168-90302 spacers.

View attachment 1337738

View attachment 1337739
View attachment 1337740

Then the side panels and rear cross member.
View attachment 1337741

Next up, lay in all the OEM roof weatherstripping and then the roof. Followed up by the refurbished doors.
In the second photo, can you show and tell what you did with the wiring for the license plate lights. It appears that some is in a "braided" jacket or conduit. Thx...AND yes I am stalking you and your rig .

In the second photo, can you show and tell what you did with the wiring for the license plate lights. It appears that some is in a "braided" jacket or conduit. Thx...AND yes I am stalking you and your rig .

I used the "braided" conduit back there to cover the speaker wires. All because one of the past P.O.'s decided to cut the rear doors for some speakers! I meant to have those speaker holes welded up while I had the doors off, but forgot about getting that done.....:bang:

For most of my non OEM wires, I cover them with this:
IMG_1176.JPG

As for my license plate light wires, I added some extra heat shrink tube at the bend. I also re-clamped the ground wire ring connector and added some extra heat shrink.

IMG_4655.jpg

Finally did some fuel calculations to see how my rebuilt '86 2F & @FJ40Jim carb rebuild was performing on ethanol free gas. With the conversions due to a 32" tire size, looks like I'm getting around 14MPG....:steer:

Finally did some fuel calculations to see how my rebuilt '86 2F & @FJ40Jim carb rebuild was performing on ethanol free gas. With the conversions due to a 32" tire size, looks like I'm getting around 14MPG....:steer:

I've been racking my brain to figure out why my gas consumption has been so poor since the restoration was completed... and this post clued me in. The upsize to a 32" tire. Doh!

Going to go do my calculations now... =)

Under certain circumstances, while under load in 2nd & 3rd gears, I'd get a slight vibration in the drive line. So I've been searching for a double cardan drive shaft, one from the front of an early model FJ60.....Found one! Cleaned it up, joints were inspected and deemed good, had it cut to size, balanced, and then I installed it. The ride is NICE!

Pic's or it didn't happen....so here ya go:
DSC05786.jpg
DSC05788.jpg

Oh, here are a few before photos of that same DC drive shaft:
img_3571-jpg.1369720

img_3570-jpg.1369719

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom