Tacoma 3400 v-6 in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Iam contemplating about swapping a Tacoma V-6 into a Fj 40 71-78 using a automatic four wheel drive tranny with the front and rear end out of the Tacoma work What year Gathering all the info first Will this swap work Im trying to sell my M-38 w/pto winch willys jeep fully restored cant drive it 24 volt water proof then I can buy a FJ40

giphy.gif

Unless it's all free, and you have a lot of time and money and enjoy figuring out crazy swaps, this makes no sense. There are so many other swaps that have been done, are easier, cheaper, more powerful.

LS Swap (or 350 of any kind)
Cummins R 2.8 (of 4BT if you need cheaper)
Toyota 4.7 V8
Toyota diesel swap

Any of the above aforementioned swaps won't require you to change the whole driveline and figure out offset axles. While the 3.4 is a good engine, it's really kind of meh if you are going through all of that work for a mildly powered V6.

My brother and I have driven '98 4Runners for hundreds of thousands of miles. We both have 5 speeds in our trucks. We refer to the 3.4 as the 'torqueless wonder'. I love the engine in every way, but it would be even more ill-suited in a heavier FJ40.

How bought a Chevy 4.3 V-6 w/auto I'm not going to use it for hard trail ridding just on the beach a trails here in Fl

I saw a supercharged 3.4 in a fj45 before. They used a tacoma rear axle but I cannot recal what they did for the front. It wasn't IFS. Converting to IFS would be sacrilege in an fj40 IMHO. The engine swap by itself I think is a good fit for a 40.

I think the 4.7 would be a great engine for a 40. Have one in our much heavier Sequoia and it does great on and off road. I have no idea about fitment, transmissions, axles, etc..

4.7 with a 5 speed sounds fun.

I put a 3.4 out of a 98 Taco, kept the 5 speed and Tcase flipped and re notched a FJ60 front.
It's great for around town and fantastic in the woods/ desert. It will do 80 easy in the flats even with 37s and 4.88s. I live in the San Juans (big mountains) so pulling big passes at highway speeds it's pretty doggy.

IMG_8272.jpg
FB_IMG_1488042509337.jpg

I put a 3.4 out of a 98 Taco, kept the 5 speed and Tcase flipped and re notched a FJ60 front.
It's great for around town and fantastic in the woods/ desert. It will do 80 easy in the flats even with 37s and 4.88s. I live in the San Juans (big mountains) so pulling big passes at highway speeds it's pretty doggy.

View attachment 2473214View attachment 2473215
reason why you are wanting a V6?

have you driven a 40?
You can fuel inject the F/2F with the sniper kit.

sounds like you are set on an auto?
Reason being 3.4 w/ auto I have a 02 tundra w a3.4 has 214.560 miles on it runs ,drives and and the oil changed every 3,000 miles and no squeaks rattles or any other noise love the gas millage Im in a wheel chair my legs dont work like they should I can walk holding on to things I have not driven a FJ40 I have a 52 willys M-38 w/PTO winch and fording kit 24 volt it will ford 6 ft into water Can`t drive it well I can stopping is the problem Trying to sell it so i can buy an fj40 so i can still have some fun so I can buy FJ40 that u can put dics on it w booster to drive dont know how it would stop Don`t know how long I could hold in the clutch pedal to shift gears either thats why I think I need an auto trans thats why for the V-6 swap to get an auto trans not many FJ s out there w autos I dont know if there are any other FJ out there w/autos least out ther maybe a latter year swap thx Buz Kanz

Reason being 3.4 w/ auto I have a 02 tundra w a3.4 has 214.560 miles on it runs ,drives and and the oil changed every 3,000 miles and no squeaks rattles or any other noise love the gas millage Im in a wheel chair my legs dont work like they should I can walk holding on to things I have not driven a FJ40 I have a 52 willys M-38 w/PTO winch and fording kit 24 volt it will ford 6 ft into water Can`t drive it well I can stopping is the problem Trying to sell it so i can buy an fj40 so i can still have some fun so I can buy FJ40 that u can put dics on it w booster to drive dont know how it would stop Don`t know how long I could hold in the clutch pedal to shift gears either thats why I think I need an auto trans thats why for the V-6 swap to get an auto trans not many FJ s out there w autos I dont know if there are any other FJ out there w/autos least out ther maybe a latter year swap thx Buz Kanz

So the reason you want to swap is for an auto. FJ40s stock never had an auto.

You don't have to go V6 to get an auto in an FJ40. Plenty of V8s with autos in an FJ40.

You also answered why you are considering 3.4L with auto(you have it) But it also sounds like it is a complete truck with no issues. In my case, my s10 is going to be a hard sell since I'm in Calif and not willing to deal with smog.

Personally, I'd sell your truck and get a more FJ40ish engine. I'll grant you that a full size with an underpowered engine will be a hard sale.

Anyone know if a 3fe with auto fits?
With the amount of hackery that would need to be done to a poor FJ40 to make that happen, just graft the FJ40 tub onto a Tacoma/4runner frame.
Would a FJ 40 fit on a tacoma V-6 frame w/ 4wheel drive auto I was thinking about that a lot just have to get all the measurements in line I put a 110 chinese motor in a 4 wheel handicap scooter That thing runs about 65 MPH I haven't driven it that fast I`m not that crazy So i don`t think I`ll have that much problem w/that Thx for the input Buz Kanz

Wheelbase going from an FJ40(90") to Tacoma(110"++) is going to be way off. Unless you are going to start stretching the FJ40 tub or move the rear springs, it won't be a match.

But as I noted, the 3.4L drivetrain isn't something I would go out of my way to use as a swap. It isn't that it is a bad drivetrain... it is that there are many better choices.
O K bad choice of motors Does any body out there in the four wheel drive universe know of a auto 4x4 tranny that would fit a 2F

With enough money, anything could be put behind the 2F :rofl:

I am not exactly calling the 3.4L a bad choice... I just think there are many better engines to pick from. Doing an engine swap or a body swap is not a trivial amount of work. I prefer true upgrades when doing work if there is one available.

I somewhat hinted on a previous post. But I'll see if someone will answer this:
Will a 3F-EFI with auto fit in an FJ40? I don't recall length on the auto. Is it much longer than the H42 with 4" or so spacer for the split case?

personally I wouldn’t swap a 3FE auto into a 40. That auto robs serious power.
There have been a few Toyota 4.7 V8 auto swaps and that would be cool if you want to stay Toyota.

however an LS/auto swap would be something many have done and much less figuring things out on your own. Great power, decent mileage and adapters readily available.

From the crank pulleys to the TC output flange seems to be a hair over 5' for a 3FE with the auto tranny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom