Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you running 7/16-20 or 7/16-28 bolts?

Gotcha. So clamp load is effectively the same assuming the same torque is applied, but shear strength is doubled. They're nothing to sneeze at, for sure.

FWIW, IMHO the clamp load is what holds it, when the hardware comes lose that when failures happens 🤷‍♂️ ;)
For me if I was to go this route, I would use these bolts.
nkCoD0t24JPZ0dZJS89ThudLsDmT9xJTBwGjnIVDqtJdB9PFG2-7-wz1PmMr9cU5yoKySutEh_fsY_9yVJl-0ZMJ2iOoWC81AYhkOl1_jpHDPGotBtT2ALviOTyjHkxaoAkbwRPPCnJPz-yM-G4gZmcIwxjfkannzedSj-MBwzDn33c55niQj4ECPCEJ5L1nT08JV17laSwPfXdeB5701ymGmAvOrTUybHot5HjUn4jMG9YCD2mTJL6HA8P75Z2JAyT8JJgJVuGkgxTpy0f3J5nhkRwFtCPQgmfADpFIOUoASiQbs6U1WjBkks6Bdz7PAFNSIblm7UCa9UQmagp9j2pVauCKqWfB4m7pPHZJUQaEGblHE52ve19fRotS03w-P7m6Aq2_QQa2UEPsftHtQ9stbyfiXhJ89dkkkbhap61TkLDo3id_zrWOStoa7TxBsv5LH_YkZjjXpwKEyINb8jVf_aXT1jUcZV0_s3ixOi6QorEuOGN7nNqlEgvp1z7bILw5BqRzqL3idTzZ3A34izoPLfGNy2h6nc1N-0z9dLRJB7GXa0HXrTc2wNQbJbW1woXbEh_XGaON6u1mM6qACYQk5ZhIsNZwrUl4P-jN8xqNhmz1yv9bZP-tryoB9BE8WrZaN1cwOTUMtG44s9k6G5wWI3HKmxV2FcBINt8hg-p6L5vBIB0gLv1WLP35CSDiL_0SD51HYtoaGH3HsE9UrmDccA=w1252-h939-no

They are rear drive shaft bolts, I like the shoulder ( no threads to dig into the drive flange ) and something that's already on the truck, no need to add a SAE wrench's to the tool kit. If there strong enough for the drive shaft then they should hold up for the drive flange.

Last edited:
one thing to note is that the clamping force is much tighter with the bigger hardware. I torqued down on it pretty hard. didn't use a TQ wrench and just snugged the crap out of them with a ratchet.
A bolt is under twisting load as well as tensile load. Whereas, a stud is under only tensile load and also less apt to come loose. If you don’t torque those bolts to the max rating with a torque wrench, you’ve wasted your time.

per ARP's website, 7/16 bolts should be 70 Ft-lb max and 8mm should be 24 Ft-lbs max.

proper torque is important to prestretch the bolt sightly to ensure your flange and hub body dont seperate from each other and allow the bolt to go from a shear stress to a bending stress situation as the shear rating is alot higher than the bending/tensile rating.

per ARP's website, 7/16 bolts should be 70 Ft-lb max and 8mm should be 24 Ft-lbs max.

proper torque is important to prestretch the bolt sightly to ensure your flange and hub body dont seperate from each other and allow the bolt to go from a shear stress to a bending stress situation as the shear rating is alot higher than the bending/tensile rating.
Toyota spec is 26lbft on the hub studs. Front Range Off-road spec’s 30lbft for the ARP studs they sell.

Toyota spec is 26lbft on the hub studs. Front Range Off-road spec’s 30lbft for the ARP studs they sell.
yeah i was only looking at the generic bolt torque to show the drastic difference between 7/16 and 8mm.

I would be reluctant to tighten those bolts to 70 lbft
The ARP bolts are fine, but the new larger holes are now closer to the edge of the hub 🤷‍♂️

I would be reluctant to tighten those bolts to 70 lbft
The ARP bolts are fine, but the new larger holes are now closer to the edge of the hub 🤷‍♂️
I would do this mod if I had broken hub studs in the past but there is no consistent data telling me that I need to run larger hardware. I think that a 10mm stud would out perform a 7/16 bolt.

Do your wheels still clear the shoulder of the bolts? I know that has been an issue for others in the past.

I was tightening mine to 70 for a years now i just do 40ft lbs. i was starting to deform the Aisin hub bodies and axle flanges.

I was tightening mine to 70 for a years now i just do 40ft lbs. i was starting to deform the Aisin hub bodies and axle flanges.
This is what I was thinking 40 or 45 ft lbs

This is what I was thinking 40 or 45 ft lbs
I did a pre torque to about 60lbs to get a pre-stretch

I loosened everything yesterday when I installed the pins and TQd it at 45lbs. prior to reading Cmatt's post.
I might loosen it again today and go down to 40lbs.

I did a pre torque to about 60lbs to get a pre-stretch

I loosened everything yesterday when I installed the pins and TQd it at 45lbs. prior to reading Cmatt's post.
I might loosen it again today and go down to 40lbs.

You arent stretching these bolts with 60/70lbs. No way. Maybe 175ft lbs.

Torque specs for ARP 7/16 bolt is 80-90ft/lbs.

Recommended Torque to Achieve Optimum Preload (Clamping Force) Using ARP Ultra-Torque® Fastener Assembly lubricant*​

If you are only going to torque to 40-45ft/lbs a 7/16 bolt is kind of a waste in this application. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom