RODa'M: Pappy's 1985 4Runner Deluxe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates besides finally getting your new tranny? And do you have dual 2.28's or a 2.28 and 4.7?

Any updates besides finally getting your new tranny? And do you have dual 2.28's or a 2.28 and 4.7?

Now how did you know about the new tranny? Lurking over at Marlin? Ya, new Marlin R151F for starters. I have a pair of 2.28's.

About the only other change is the new BFG KO2's. Those tires rock. I used to have a set of MT/KMs that I would play in, and a set of skinny KOs to daily drive. Now I just run the KO2's. Personally, I think those are a great on-road/off-road tire.

Yup, over on Marlin for info, no account on pirate though. Good to hear about the KO2's. I'm looking at them to replace my KM2's when they're gone. I love my KM2's off road. I air down to under 10 psi a ton and have only blown 1 bead.

Good to hear about the KO2's. I'm looking at them to replace my KM2's when they're gone.

You will not be disappointed with the KO2s. I'm not finding a need for MTs anymore. The KO2s will make a maiden voyage to Baja in a month and I'm optimistic they will work better (overall) than the MT/KMs. I already know they work great in the snow and sand. Even though they are the same size as the MT/KMs, they are wider at the tread by about 1/2 inch.

No updates on the 3RZ. I have the conversion engine mounts, and that is it. I keep visiting our local u-pull for an engine, but all they ever have is the 2RZ, or the 3.4 V6. As soon as I see an engine it will get pulled and stashed in the garage. Then I will start moving on the other parts I need for the conversion (oil pan, oil pick up, etc).

I also have a philosophical issue with the transmission. I currently have a R151F which I would not be able to reuse because the 3RZ bellhousing fits a W-series. Marlin used to have a conversion bellhousing to run a R-series transmission behind the 3RZ, but he stopped making them. I really don't want to go backwards. The decision to reinstall a W-56 would be a hard one. Especially since my tax refund is going to rebuild the R151F this spring.

I've heard many internet rumors that the bellhousing that goes between a 2trfe and a r155f will bolt a 3rz to a r151f. It would be worth doing a Google search on.

I've heard many internet rumors that the bellhousing that goes between a 2trfe and a r155f will bolt a 3rz to a r151f. It would be worth doing a Google search on.

Yep. I heard the same thing. It appears this bellhousing is taller than the R151F bellhousing, but folks have had them machined to fit.

Pappy, would you recommend a DOA engine? I saw you may have had some issues with another engine he did for you and he doesn't have the best reviews on other sights it seems

Last edited:
No.

As we all know, this sickness leads to change. Our trucks are never static, they are never "finished."

What ever I bolt on the truck has to improve the trucks ability, and it needs to stay within the mission of being an expedition truck.

Well, this truck has been used for "overlanding" before the term was made popular. Improvements I make are always made around my ability to get down to Baja and back … and my amenities have changed over the years. There was a time when I would toss my backpack into the back of my 82 Hilux with a jug of water, and an ice chest, and that was it.

My latest project was a fridge slide. There was a guy over at Expo Portal selling a NIB ARB fridge slide and I couldn't pass it up. I've just spent the last week tinkering with getting it installed in the 4Runner. Of course, my traditional location for the fridge was behind the passenger seat, so there will be a learning curve next time I go to pack the truck.

I didn't want to drill my bed, so the fridge is bolted to a piece of 1/2" MDX using t-nuts. The board is covered in black speaker fabric and is bolted to existing locations formally used to bolt down the seats. I just finished this project, so I have no idea how it's going to work for my style of camping. This slide was an extended version, which I didn't know ARB made until I picked up the slide. I'm kinda diggin' it because it extends out the back far enough that I can open the lid all the way. Pics.

Fridge slide (1)-sm.jpg

Fridge slide (2)-sm.jpg

Fridge slide (3)-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Nice truck and story! :cheers:

I keep my fridge there in my fj62, but have a lift gate which probably makes life easier than the roll down glass. I do access the fridge frequently via lift gate, and find I do not use the slide often. Sure looks convenient if you were cooking on the tailgate tho.

I keep my fridge there in my fj62, but have a lift gate which probably makes life easier than the roll down glass.

The nice thing about J60's and J80's is they are taller in the back. I borrowed a buddy's (FZJ80 owner) fridge long time ago when I was on the fence. His was the Engel 45, and it was too tall. I couldn't open the fridge lid in the back of the 4R. My Engel 35 was not a problem with the fridge behind the seat and I could get inside through the side window. Right now I can't open the lid all the way at the back of the truck without opening the gate and sliding it out. I can get it open enough for quick access without dropping the tailgate.

Last edited:
Jon, there are hinge relocation kits to convert to side hinges.

Another quick overlanding update. :clap:

As I said this fridge slide was the extended version. It has this spot behind the fridge that can hold what ever you want, but it's the perfect size for a Scepter water can. So, I had a thought. I bought the 20L container from Front Runner that has the spout on the bottom. I removed the cheezy spout, and installed a brass 1/4 turn boiler valve. I then bought some silicone tubing and a hose end to barb fitting and ran the hose to the tailgate. Now I can access water without having to dig out the containers from the back.

Last edited:
Another quick overlanding update, before the big update in a few days. :clap:

As I said this fridge slide was the extended version. It has this spot behind the fridge that can hold what ever you want, but it's the perfect size for a Scepter water can. So, I had a thought. I bought the 20L container from Front Runner that has the spout on the bottom. I removed the cheezy spout, and installed a brass 1/4 turn boiler valve. I then bought some silicone tubing and a hose end to barb fitting and ran the hose to the tailgate. Now I can access water without having to dig out the containers from the back.

View attachment 1791615 View attachment 1791617 View attachment 1791616

Have the same jug and cheesy valve. Where did you pick up the brass boiler valve? And does it just thread in? Thanks for any info.

Lowes. Off the shelf. 3/4".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom