Rear window article available from Gary S (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the little rod and metal strip go together as shown?. Do they connect to the limiter on the right and the lever on the left where the spring is attached? I have not seen any pics on this particular connection?
View attachment 365077

I know this is an old thread, but didn't see a reply to the question posted and thought this photo may help someone else. I finally replaced my broken tailgate handle Friday, was dreading climbing in the back and taking it apart from inside. Turns out it wasn't that bad, took about an hour, and most of that time was spent looking for some good info online...

20191101_154110_001.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but didn't see a reply to the question posted and thought this photo may help someone else. I finally replaced my broken tailgate handle Friday, was dreading climbing in the back and taking it apart from inside. Turns out it wasn't that bad, took about an hour, and most of that time was spent looking for some good info online...

View attachment 2124826
I took my tailgate cover off yesterday to take a look at the inner workings and found a spring loose in the bottom. Tossed it in my parts bin. Now with this picture I know where it goes. Thanks.

since this thread was recently revived... i'll ask. So I have read all of the posts on this. My tailgate window worked fine until it suddenly stopped. It is stuck in the full up position, which i guess is better than stuck down? But it would be nice to use the tailgate again at some point in life. It just makes a click sound at the motor when the key or remote switch is used. I checked fuses. I removed the cover and I replaced the disintegrated terminal strip and cleaned up all the wiring. I jumped the safety switch to ensure that wasn't the issue. So I gave in and started to tear down. Got the stop plates out that supposedly connect the roller guide to the glass holder. At this point the write-ups all say to separate the roller guide from the glass holder.. is there something I'm missing here? with the stop plates out, nothing moves. it is as if I did nothing. Is there some trick to this when the glass is in the full up position? the fsm says to "raise the glass halfway up"... well can't do that. getting at those stop plates was challenging but not too bad. any tips?

It sounds like your gear might have cracked.

Are you saying the glass is now free of the mechanism? If that is the case, then you should be able to pull the glass down and open the tailgate.

If the glass is cocked at all in the opening, you will have to true it up in order to pull it down.

Thanks for the reply @PabloCruise . My issue is I removed the stop plates but nothing will budge. The glass is still full up and the rollers and glass holder are still stuck together. This is my first experience with this thing so I’m not entirely sure what the disassembly fully entails. With the stop plates removed should I be able to move any parts to detach the glass and its holder?

When you pull the two little L-shaped sliders that hold the two roller receivers to the 33” window holder, with age the three slider clips on one end probably are a little rusted together plus the pin on the other side can get a little stuck too. When I took mine apart several weeks ago, I had to lightly tap on the connect points with a screw driver and rubber mallet to get them to break free...after spraying some rust remover/loosener.

Yeah once the L shaped pieces are out the roller tracks should separate from the long piece on he bottom of the window. Some penetrating oil and judicious tapping/prying should get them separated.

After some holiday delays, I'm happy to report victory in the quest to remove the assembly. And no band-aids, thanks to all the great advice from folks here. I found that putting a couple 2x4's in the space to hold up the glass worked well when separating the glass fro the rollers. And the C-clamps on the arms, to avoid whatever pain that would be otherwise, was a fantastic idea. And here are some pics, ready for the new gear, to be ordered.

IMG_7753.jpg

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

new gear, all cleaned up, re-installed, greased up, and back in business! Turns out some PO actually removed the safety switch so this now has the added benefit of functioning regardless of whether the tailgate is closed :( I can't quite figure out how, since the wiring is all there and not jumped, but whatever. at least it works again.

Would be happy to pay it forward and help anyone else in the Austin vicinity if they need this done.

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg

For @120mm, doing my best to post this from the shop with my cell phone.

This is a window track attached to the window channel
IMG_20200319_121744501.jpg

The little pin with the groove is the problem when it falls out of the channel

IMG_20200319_121808136.jpg

The pin is just under 1/4"

IMG_20200319_121949906.jpg

So I'll use a 1/4" bolt.

IMG_20200319_122016787.jpg

Last edited:
When I made the ones in my pig I used my lathe but decided to use hand tools to make this one to show it's possible.
IMG_20200319_122506363.jpg

File two flats.
IMG_20200319_122526685.jpg

Then file the top. Should look something like this.
IMG_20200319_122733131.jpg

I used a carriage bolt so I filed the square section round.
IMG_20200319_122808675.jpg

You’ll need to remove the channel from the bottom of the window. I use an old hammer handle but any chunk of wood will work. Just tap it off a little from side to side and you’ll be fine.

So once the pin rips out of the channel it usually leaves a hole, drill or file that hole so the new pin will fit and drop in into the channel in-between the rubber and channel before you tap the channel back on the glass. The T-flange will prevent the new pin from falling out and this is a fast easy fix.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom