Rear window article available from Gary S (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

J Mack would a small tack weld help hold that pin in there? Great fix it! 👍
Doesn't really need it Ron.
The T-flange will prevent the pin from falling out and is quite a bit stronger than the factory pin that was just peened over.

You’ll need to remove the channel from the bottom of the window. I use an old hammer handle but any chunk of wood will work. Just tap it off a little from side to side and you’ll be fine.

So once the pin rips out of the channel it usually leaves a hole, drill or file that hole so the new pin will fit and drop in into the channel in-between the rubber and channel before you tap the channel back on the glass. The T-flange will prevent the new pin from falling out and this is a fast easy fix.

Good luck.

Solid work!

A few other threads that have some good content on the rear window:

and

I know this is a older thread. but im trying to find a fj55 rear tailgate gear. I heard someone made them in brass a while back. is anyone still doing that? how can I connect with them of so.

I know this is a older thread. but im trying to find a fj55 rear tailgate gear. I heard someone made them in brass a while back. is anyone still doing that? how can I connect with them of so.

when I did this repair back in January, SOR was the only place I could find who had a replacement. It was $100 if I remember. (Land Cruiser Rear Tail Gate Door 55 Series). That part showed discontinued this summer so you might call them to see if this is pandemic related shortage or just no plans to ever sell it again.

when I did this repair back in January, SOR was the only place I could find who had a replacement. It was $100 if I remember. (Land Cruiser Rear Tail Gate Door 55 Series). That part showed discontinued this summer so you might call them to see if this is pandemic related shortage or just no plans to ever sell it again.
Good call I’ll give them a quick call after the weekend.

So I’m struggling getting my rear tailgate switch to function with the key. Couple of questions:

how far should the key rotate? When turned maybe 1/8 of a turn I think I can hear the switch making contact. But that is as far as it turns.

I was told by another pig owner that his tailgate uses a different key than the ignition. So, I hired a locksmith to come out and make me a key for the lock. He determined that the ignition key controls it. Mine is a 1979. Anyone know if a 1979 would have used the ignition key to open the tailgate window?

Since we couldn’t get the key to work we (me and the locksmith) removed the switch and cleaned the contacts. Still nothing At the tailgate. My dash switch has always worked - well 90% of the time. Occasionally I’ll have to try a few times or turn the ignition off and back on to get it to work.

reassembled everything and the window goes up amd down fast and smooth (was sluggish before). So that’s awesome, just wish my key could open or close the window.

if front switch has always worked when key is on (acc position or vehicle running) and tailgate switch does not work, did I understand from this thread that the relay may be the issue? Not sending power when the vehicle is off?

the inner plastic part can break keeping the contacts from touching

20210328_140611.jpg

I need to replace my dash toggle switch. Does anyone know a good source?
if not, how many amps is the motor?

This thread is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks everyone.

55DFD85B-1B5D-4028-8BBB-DFDE93C4667F.jpeg

1889F0E6-307E-4FDA-88E1-27466089E7B2.jpeg

...gotta be thankful for technology, and thanks fj55-100 for this option for replacement tailgate gears...

...gotta be thankful for technology, and thanks fj55-100 for this option for replacement tailgate gears...

I need the gear also. How durable are the shape ways 3D printed gears? Is there a warranty?

…not sure, but tailgate isn’t working and I fear the worst…

…willing to buy and try, even if it’s only a temporary solution…

For $20 how can you go wrong especially if you have a broken gear to start with??????? I personally haven't seen these 3D printed gears butr have seen the brass gears that were available for a short time and have installed several of the OEM gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom