Rear window article available from Gary S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*2 on checking the safety switch. The plastic piece that contacts it can move (at least mine did) and stop the switch from 'closing', if that circuit is open, nothing happens.
Would this only affect it not going down? Seems like it wouldn't work at all if it were the safety switch. My intent is to do the fancy bypass though.

Ok need some electrical help…

Finally removed CB and got access to the front switch. Have the multimeter ready to go but my initial testing hasn’t gone way I thought it would.

Would I not put the MM on DC current to check voltage. And with key on should I not have some voltage to the solid blue wire?
Basically I’ve got nothing so now I’ve confirmed that I know nothing about what I’m doing with this multimeter. I was hoping to confirm power to the switch, then see if there was break in continuity of the wire that causes window to go down.

Can someone share the proper way to check this?
Thanks

8E9B5289-7524-47CB-B8A8-F806CB77E03B.jpeg

120D7FFC-E8B7-466C-BE0A-7E34D096EF36.jpeg

Last edited:
Well tickle my funny bone!

Still have no idea what has happened but assuming the safety switch may be the culprit. However after I bypassed the safety switch window still wouldn’t go down from the front switch Then after an arduous, foul language filled, bloody knuckle job of making switch accessible to try checking the electrical connect (no freaking idea what I was doing) I checked the front switch.

Hmm well it went up then gave a hint of life to go down. After I tried again it did it’s thing. Since nothing else made sense I tried the key on primary switch in back. Works like a charm. Typically I’d like to celebrate a victory but I don’t have much confidence in the job done.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know what these two items do for the functioning of the tailgate? Everything works on mine without having these reinstalled. I don’t see a clear enough picture in the Chassis Body Repair Manual.

501D418B-C44D-40D8-B9A5-5D2E020E60FF.jpeg

Top of my head, that looks like part of the safety that stops you from opening the tailgate with the glass up. The spring doesn't look OEM.

Finally had a rear window issue. Been lucky so far I guess. This article helped a ton, but so was this video I found on how to swap the gear out (posted below). Basically my window stopped working while up. I could hear a tiny hint of noise that sounded like the motor was trying to move when I hit the key or the switch in either direction. Figured a broken gear and it was jammed. Ordered the gear, and got into it yesterday. Turns out the gear was in great shape, which is good news. What I think happened is that the gears on the up/down mechanism jumped a tooth and essentially became jammed on the other gear or something. Regardless, when I put it back together it all works great. Tried the 3D printed gear. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also managed to do it all without taking the assembly out of the truck. Left it wired up. I used some heavy duty Zip Wall system rubber tape, wrapped around the roof rack then onto the glass to hold the window up while I pulled the mechanism. Worked like a charm. Seeing all these jerkoffs breaking into cars by pulling windows down with duct tape gave me the idea! Maybe somebody else can use this technique and prevent that guillotine action of the glass dropping. Nice to get a win!

20230708_154024.jpg

20230708_154026.jpg

Had the same whirring noise and also thought I had a broken gear. Took the whole thing apart and gear was still good. My issue is the glass is too tight on the side rubber…I thought but maybe I should check the gear teeth? Not sure how to really tell though.

Had the same whirring noise and also thought I had a broken gear. Took the whole thing apart and gear was still good. My issue is the glass is too tight on the side rubber…I thought but maybe I should check the gear teeth? Not sure how to really tell though.
Somehow the teeth of the up down mechanism got off where they had been in relation to the drive gear on mine, which caused my jam up. While I had the mechanism out, I activated it to test it and what I realized is that it would run the gears on the mechanism right over the end so that it wasn't engaged with the drive gear on the motor. The motor would just spin and "whir". Not sure if this is helpful info. Probably already addressed here somewhere. I did that by accident at one point and realized I had to have the gears set at an optimal position so the arms were wide enough to catch the tracks but not too far because the window would not go all the way down. Having it too close would cause the drive gear to run off the end of the mechanism gear again.

I guess we'll see if my original jam up occurs again. I really don't have an explanation as to why it did this in the first place.

Finally had a rear window issue. Been lucky so far I guess. This article helped a ton, but so was this video I found on how to swap the gear out (posted below). Basically my window stopped working while up. I could hear a tiny hint of noise that sounded like the motor was trying to move when I hit the key or the switch in either direction. Figured a broken gear and it was jammed. Ordered the gear, and got into it yesterday. Turns out the gear was in great shape, which is good news. What I think happened is that the gears on the up/down mechanism jumped a tooth and essentially became jammed on the other gear or something. Regardless, when I put it back together it all works great. Tried the 3D printed gear. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also managed to do it all without taking the assembly out of the truck. Left it wired up. I used some heavy duty Zip Wall system rubber tape, wrapped around the roof rack then onto the glass to hold the window up while I pulled the mechanism. Worked like a charm. Seeing all these jerkoffs breaking into cars by pulling windows down with duct tape gave me the idea! Maybe somebody else can use this technique and prevent that guillotine action of the glass dropping. Nice to get a win!

View attachment 3369614

View attachment 3369615

I wonder who made the video? Virginia Pig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom