Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C9265FF7-B503-4D8B-8C64-9EEAD1B8F1AD.jpeg

The next box and downspout is located at the main entrance and drains the same section of roof.
View attachment 3288830

The last four are located on the north end and drain two separate roof sections and shed the most water.
The one took a few angles.
View attachment 3288831
All the mounting tabs were broken to allow for any stucco variations. That 17 year old 1800 Ellis saw cuts nice angles.View attachment 3288833
The crazy downspout.View attachment 3288832
Overall shot of the last four.
View attachment 3288834
The tabs were caulked along the top and sides followed by paint to match the house. The rest will be left to Mother Nature to provide a natural rust finish. the boxes and downspouts are slightly gapped from the house to prevent rust staining down the walls. That was the reason for bending the tabs, caulking and painting.
I need to add this to my to-do list. I haven’t seen anything at the store worth buying, so my current drainage only varies from crap to non-existant.

I get it! The beer can thin materials used normally would be dented from a hummingbird strike not to mention the limited designs found on the boxes. The original quotes from gutter companies were also out of line. It was a fair amount of “tinkering” but in the end the entire project cost $1,200 vs $8,900 from the highest quoted, and look better imo.

I get it! The beer can thin materials used normally would be dented from a hummingbird strike not to mention the limited designs found on the boxes. The original quotes from gutter companies were also out of line. It was a fair amount of “tinkering” but in the end the entire project cost $1,200 vs $8,900 from the highest quoted, and look better imo.
Mild steel? Or stainless? Or...?

Looks great!

I'm continuing to learn the ins and outs of Bend-Tech, the Dragon, and the bender.

This was just experimenting with the software. Bend-Tech CAD doesn't let you make holes for some reason - just notches, but the CAM software allows you to add holes of various sorts. It is just a bit more complex to work out to get what you want.
IMG_6220edit.JPG

Then I had to set up the Dragon for rectangular tube to do a production run of torsion (axle) supports. That has its own complexities over round tube.
IMG_6225edit.JPG

Got the first privacy wall installed
46CC8E8B-AE28-42EB-8F7D-250C356ACA79.jpeg

Mild steel? Or stainless? Or...?

Looks great!
Thanks!
The common materials used for gutters installed by “professionals” are 26ga tin or aluminum. Some will offer real copper but I’ve seen too many messy solder joints to pay that kind of money.😫
The collector boxes I built are made from 16ga hot rolled sheet. The down spouts are 14ga welded square tubing. The tabs are 1/8” hot rolled as well. Stainless would not provide the natural rust finish I’m chasing, not to mention it would have cost much more than $1,200 and added complexity to the project.

Decorative fence.

Set 12 post with three 5" grade streps in 120'.
Using one string line to set the changing grade and step placement.
IMG_7801.jpeg

The string line at the bottom not only aids in aligning the post but also step changes. The tops of the posts look sawtoothed but it's an optical illuseion.
IMG_7794.jpeg

The 1/4" re-mesh comes in 7x20.
IMG_7812.jpeg

The angle iron frames are cut, notched and de-burred.
IMG_7825.jpeg

The iron worker does a nice job notching this corner joint.
IMG_7827.jpeg

The first of eleven panels.
IMG_7828.jpeg

The rest of them.
IMG_7831.jpeg

Working alone I needed to design and fab up some locating jigs. These jigs work with the 5" grade steps as well.
IMG_7835.jpeg

The first of 11 panels starting with the low end of the grade.
The jigs in place. They're are right and left sided so the outer jig can be "leap frogged" to the next panel. The lower flat bar is 5" lower than the top making it simple to transition a step without the need to measure.
IMG_7836.jpeg

Once the panel is tacked in, the jig peels away from the back side.
IMG_7837.jpeg

After a 9 hour day the 120' is complete.

Nice and straight! The shadow shows the steps.
IMG_7838.jpeg

Remember that optical illusion!
Throw in some horizontal members and it goes away. Metal caps finish the details and are just proud of the tops of the panels. The welded wire was laid out and trimmed to carry all horizontal lines from panel to panel.
IMG_7839.jpeg

The common materials used for gutters installed by “professionals” are 26ga tin or aluminum. Some will offer real copper but I’ve seen too many messy solder joints to pay that kind of money.😫
The collector boxes I built are made from 16ga hot rolled sheet. The down spouts are 14ga welded square tubing. The tabs are 1/8” hot rolled as well. Stainless would not provide the natural rust finish I’m chasing, not to mention it would have cost much more than $1,200 and added complexity to the project.

26ga? That might as well be aluminum foil!

The gutters I got were 20ga aluminum and I sort of thought that was thin, but they've held up well. I did half round to keep with the style of my 1920's house. I really would have liked to do copper, but I've been seeing people stealing it off of buildings to sell as scrap. :mad:

The only downside I have to "natural" finishes on steel is that the rust often ends up staining the building and ground below it as well.

The fence looks great too!

Copper is number one priority for the meth heads.
So on my application. I held all metal off the building by using bent tabs. The bent tabs were then caulked along the top and sides followed by paint. I’m hoping this minimizes any staining down the walls.

Last edited:
Second privacy wall is up.
4DEA95E5-0FB5-4535-9559-090D856AE0E3.jpeg

Shifting gears to tile work.
079BE20C-D4B7-4050-9964-1CED005577FF.jpeg

Thanks again to @65FJ45 for the slate. Oscar @tequila4x4 , it’s finally coming together! :bounce:

Did a full teardown, cleaning, and rebuild of the front gate on the Dragon. Then went through all the calibration procedures. Finally ran a bunch of 2x2x0.120 tube for frame main rails. The V's are for the bends in the frame. They stay intact for the Dragon, but then finish cutting them with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel for the bends.
IMG_6226edit.JPG

IMG_6227edit.JPG

IMG_6229edit.JPG

I mentioned in the woodworking forum some time back that I am very fortunate to know a furniture builder that buys old barn wood to build high-end furniture for the neuvo riche in LA, and that I get some of his scraps. Well today I got a hankering to take four of those rough-sawn remnants and make…a 150 year old stool!
CCD86580-5A20-4C5A-BE5E-2DA642090F30.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom