Builds Project Hate It or Love It - 196(4) FJ45 Short Bed Fixed Top Pickup

FJ60Cam

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

I may have missed it but what engine management are you using? Staying multi point or going to a TBI sort of setup?
Holley Sniper
If you remember the unmarked crate from @Tank5 a few pages back...

9F127763-D60A-400B-8A74-79A9DEFFDBF4.jpeg

...it contains the missing link to making this work the way we want. Let’s open it up...

64A5E920-CBC5-449C-9AAD-8AB3A705901A.jpeg

This is the upper half of a non-US carbed 1FZ. I had already done the research and figured I only needed the manifold, but ‘tank was selling this complete package, so I bought it from him several months ago to squirrel away for the right time.

With the FJ Co bellhousing and a Sniper, the 1FZ could be made SUPER simple, and be a perfect swap candidate for earlier trucks.

These motors respond well to steroids, with virtually unlimited potential (check out the Middle East drag & sand racers), so it would make a great all-Toyota motor swap.

Plus, you get a good PS pump, decent output alternator, and an AC compressor, if desired. Everything F’s and (early) 2F’s don’t have.

While we’re going to use pretty much everything in the crate, the gold is the manifold:

5EA07D4C-79A4-4091-87AE-26915878A6EA.jpeg

With a little adapting, we can plop a Holley Sniper on top and peel out. What it may lose over the multi port injection, it should make up for in modern computing (plus whatever we gain from the fun stuff).

This is the last pic you’ll get. It’s in hiding until there’s a finished product:

942C2699-45A7-4A09-8D48-DA66A992CB14.jpeg

Last edited:

If you remember the unmarked crate from @Tank5 a few pages back...

View attachment 2321472

...it contains the missing link to making this work the way we want. Let’s open it up...

View attachment 2321474

This is the upper half of a non-US carbed 1FZ. I had already done the research and figured I only needed the manifold, but ‘tank was selling this complete package, so I bought it from him several months ago to squirrel away for the right time.

With the FJ Co bellhousing and a Sniper, the 1FZ could be made SUPER simple, and be a perfect swap candidate for earlier trucks.

These motors respond well to steroids, with virtually unlimited potential (check out the Middle East drag & sand racers), so it would make a great all-Toyota motor swap.

Plus, you get a good PS pump, decent output alternator, and an AC compressor, if desired. Everything F’s and (early) 2F’s don’t have.

While we’re going to use pretty much everything in the crate, the gold is the manifold:

View attachment 2321475

With a little adapting, we can plop a Holley Sniper on top and peel out. What it may lose over the multi port injection, it should make up for in modern computing (plus whatever we gain from the fun stuff).

This is the last pic you’ll get. It’s in hiding until there’s a finished product:

View attachment 2321476
I think that's a great idea using a sniper. I've been curious about the difficulty in sourcing one of those manifolds. I've also wondered if u could take the USA lower intake, weld up the injector holes and weld some square tube over the top and mount a sniper on that way.

Advent

GOLD Star

Somebody really needs to make a sniper-like system for retrofitting onto earlier MPI engines. Something like a megasquirt but with a learning ECU and an standardized MAF sensor.

jmlockwood

SILVER Star
Classic Cruisers is in on this project with a beautifully restored E-68 steering wheel.

The one on Rotunda has a nice shine but it’s Got numerous gaps in it. It’s perfect to move over to the 💩45

Thanks Brandon aka @Ratboy for this beautiful piece

View attachment 2322903
Thanks for the bling @Ratboy! Perfect situation so now both 45’s have great steering wheels.

wngrog

SILVER Star

@metalshaper cooked up a real cool tray system for the bed. This thing is riding on some 48” locking heavy duty slides from Ovis.

I’ve got it here for mock up from the slides to the bed then it’s off to get powder coated before final install.

This thing will make the bed fully functional with the rack system on the back.

B60CA601-ADCE-4207-BE4C-6EE05C07C97F.jpeg

C3A72457-F7EA-4A1F-8B2E-8D14BA348944.jpeg

middlecalf

SILVER Star

What’s the tray going to be used for? I have a friend who has a tray in his Ram that he uses to access very heavy concrete testing equipment.

Top Bottom