Builds Project 'Fresh Start' RestoMod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MaTTi ... Call up rick at BTB and ask him, he sourced them direct from Fox and Im not sure of the numbers
4" lift springs also from BTB as well ... I have sets for both the 4" lift and the 2.5" lift for the next build

Letterman, anything you want to know about the engine bay and the complete setup let me know, I have over 1000 pictures

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve. I’m in the middle of a 5.7 swap and your build has me dreaming.

well .... I cant believe it but she went on her 1st drive today
I have sooo much to report, but its almost Turkey time (thanksgiving here) and I'm exhausted ... so with that I'll just say this

Friggin AMAZING experience ... so much fun to drive, could not be happier

Details coming, 1st stop ... more gas

IMG_9756 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

IMG_9754 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Looks GOOD. Strange to look at, like grayscale picture although it’s real color picture.

And thanks, I sent email to BTB:
MaTTi ... Call up rick at BTB and ask him, he sourced them direct from Fox and Im not sure of the numbers

Last edited:
Got them:
BTB Part #’s

40-4007 FT Fox 4” shocks $149.95 ea.

40-4008 RR Fox 4” Shocks $149.95 ea.

40-4000 Bushings required for RR shocks. $4.15 ea.
...but noticed afterwards there is the FOX number on the collar: 980-24-660
DF2BDBA0-102E-45EA-AF7F-0D2973423B26.png

If possible, please check sometime when you are under the truck what is that number for the rear shocks.

Edit: found it from your other picture 985-24-005
864D30DF-62DE-4DC0-9DA8-A5D797184B02.png

Thanks for the hi-res flickr pics.:cheers:

Last edited:
LOL ... nice work Matti ... if you need any more info please let em know

Thank you to all for the very positive comments, I know that 99% of the folks here are purists and cringe with guys like me building something like this but this is what I do, but I try and create my builds in a very clean and tasteful way that even some of the most hard core purists can appreciate.

MOTOV8TR, completely understand and sincerely appreciate your feedback, this build was EXTREMELY difficult as everything had to be custom fabricated so the amount of work was incredible but I am very happy with the results.

I think you'll appreciate my next build with the R2.8 diesel going in. All original 1966 with hard top, on the outside everything will look fairly traditional with the exception of the engine, driveline, suspension, braking that will be totally upgraded. REALLY looking forward to this build and working on the R2.8.

Cheers
Steve

Decided on the 73' LQ9 40's colour ... going Audi Nardo grey with all black accents, and with the new wheels below that just arrived

I'm curious about two items related to the wheels you are using.
1) They website says they "will not be a direct fit on locking/free wheeling style hubs". Am I correct in assuming that this is because they are hub centric and the center hole is actually larger than the minimum needed to clear the FJ locking hubs?
2) As I recall you are using a 17x8.5 which has a 4.3" (-10 mm) offset. This seems to be more offset that most recommendations that I have seen. Have you encounter any issues? Clearance or otherwise?

I'm curious about two items related to the wheels you are using.
1) They website says they "will not be a direct fit on locking/free wheeling style hubs". Am I correct in assuming that this is because they are hub centric and the center hole is actually larger than the minimum needed to clear the FJ locking hubs?
2) As I recall you are using a 17x8.5 which has a 4.3" (-10 mm) offset. This seems to be more offset that most recommendations that I have seen. Have you encounter any issues? Clearance or otherwise?

So on the fronts there is a little lip for the SCS caps ... once you grind these off (easy) the wheels bolt right up ... simple as that
As far as clearance, NO issue what soever with my set up from BTB big brake kit from Wilwood

IMG_9826 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

So on the fronts there is a little lip for the SCS caps ... once you grind these off (easy) the wheels bolt right up ... simple as that
As far as clearance, NO issue what soever with my set up from BTB big brake kit from Wilwood
And as far as offsets ... the stance is perfect for what I wanted

Thanks for the insight. I look back at my post and realize I wasn't really clear about 'clearance'.. I was curious about turning if there is any limitation with tires rubbing/hitting the frame or other areas since the offset is more inboard than most of the 3.5 to 4" backspacing recommendations I have seen.

Thanks again for your help / sharing your experience.

I still like the unique "flush" fender mount LED's lamps the best parts of the project !

Holy cow you are about 20 minutes from me, I'm in King City. Here i my build thread:
Builds - 1974 FJ40 Restoration Build Thread

Couple of questions:

What is that front bumper?

Who did you use for paint? I am not from here and I havent found any paint shops that seem to have any credentials...

John

Hey John .. yessir I am very close and would love to see what you have going there !! Looks g4eat thus far
Yes, we can discuss paint, my 2nd 40 is getting painted actually right now so lets see how that works out
As for the front bumper its a 4+Plus Here ...
4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Front Bumpers
I have his hooped one as well for the next one
email me at sheck@sympatico.ca and we can discuss

74 ... I'm just 5 minutes east of Stouffville in Claremont

Cheers
Steve

what rad/fan combo are you running? did you have to modify the mounting location to fit the a/c rad i front of the main rad or was there still room behind the grill?

Sorry Frank did not see this until now ...

I am running a Speedway aluminum rad, with a 16" Spal fan installed using the Man-A-Fre rad support system.
In actual fact Frank I have a complete identical brand new set of everything that I was going to use for the next build but I had to go with a different setup. So, I have all the above mentioned parts still brand new in boxes that I can sell you ...

And no, I did not have to modify the mounts, just had to push the rad back as far as possible

here you go .... pic shows complete setup

Cheers
Steve

IMG_9062 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom