Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I spent way too long with CHIRP last night. I did manage to get it installed on my macbook but I can't figure out what the USB ports are named and the only options it gave me were both "bluetooth", so it obviously wasn't gonna see the radio. Eventually got it installed on my PC laptop (what a nightmare for a mac guy) and it recognized the radio! However, I have 3 versions of UV-5R and it only recognizes 2 of them! Biggest problem is that I don't have Office on it (not worth explaining here) so I couldn't import the CLCC file. I figured it was better to learn to do it manually anyway. Certain items would erase themselves once I moved to the next field but I was able to successfully alter 2 radios to the majority of the club file specs and they did indeed TX/RX with each other! I'll pick Ed's and John's brains at FC because I'm certain the fault is all my own. Damn technology. I'm also hoping to use my newfound (somewhat-) understanding of radios to allow my Midland GMRS/FRS to communicate on the club freq's. Just because. Go ahead and let me know now if that's not gonna be possible, please!

Last edited:
Ebrake repair... Lost a little horseshoe clip. All better now.

IMG_20191019_120357.jpg

IMG_20191019_120348.jpg

I spent way too long with CHIRP last night.
I’Il pick Ed and John’s brains at FC
Midland GMRS/FRS to communicate on the club freq's.
You are welcome to pick my brain - what’s left of it.
Did you see this? CLCC radios <---> Midland GMRS radios
The midland radio did talk to the club radio. You just have to set the correct PL/CTCSS or DPL/DCS Squelch codes.

That reminds me of my old diesel with the livewire display, gps, and phone mounted on the dash.
My wife called it the Redneck Starship.

I spent way too long with CHIRP last night. I did manage to get it installed on my macbook but I can't figure out what the USB ports are named and the only options it gave me were both "bluetooth", so it obviously wasn't gonna see the radio. Eventually got it installed on my PC laptop (what a nightmare for a mac guy) and it recognized the radio! However, I have 3 versions of UV-5R and it only recognizes 2 of them! Biggest problem is that I don't have Office on it (not worth explaining here) so I couldn't import the CLCC file. I figured it was better to learn to do it manually anyway. Certain items would erase themselves once I moved to the next field but I was able to successfully alter 2 radios to the majority of the club file specs and they did indeed TX/RX with each other! I'll pick Ed's and John's brains at FC because I'm certain the fault is all my own. Damn technology. I'm also hoping to use my newfound (somewhat-) understanding of radios to allow my Midland GMRS/FRS to communicate on the club freq's. Just because. Go ahead and let me know now if that's not gonna be possible, please!

It was easier for me to just manually program each radio. Takes about one beer around a campfire per radio to load the club uses freqs.

It was easier for me to just manually program each radio. Takes about one beer around a campfire per radio to load the club uses freqs.
I hear ya, but I'm trying to start a new chapter in my life...one that isn't ruled by six strings and vacuum tube technology...not to mention I'm kind of a dim bulb. I'll try your method for the next one.

I can bring my laptop to FC to program it.

Finally replaced the original muffler and midpipe on the LX. Lexus quiet again! Also stopped by the dealership today for a new battery for the 62

Here is the gunk that was Jack's parking brake:

Parking Brake.JPG

Thanks to @Stumpalama for providing a donor transfer case output housing and to @OTRAMM for reaming it out for an extra seal. It now holds the 40 in place. Amazing what a lubricant-free brake can do.

Question though--the shim that was between the transfer case output shaft nut and washer was trash. Do I need to find another of the same thickness? I can't even figure out what it is shimming.

Also, thanks to @fireball for the nifty tailgate cover for Rhea's 100. We can now make sushi in the woods.

Tail Gate Cover.JPG

thanks to @fireball for the nifty tailgate cover for Rhea's 100. We can now make sushi in the woods.

Um, he installed that as the diaper changing station... ;)

1572838232526.png

Ya know why he didn't say LAZY?

Because I covered 5k of beautiful downtown Savannah, GA, neighborhoods today. BTW, the only way the medal could mean less is if they had included it in the registration bag BEFORE the race!

IMG_7907.jpg

Here is the gunk that was Jack's parking brake:

View attachment 2123880

Thanks to @Stumpalama for providing a donor transfer case output housing and to @OTRAMM for reaming it out for an extra seal. It now holds the 40 in place. Amazing what a lubricant-free brake can do.

Question though--the shim that was between the transfer case output shaft nut and washer was trash. Do I need to find another of the same thickness? I can't even figure out what it is shimming.

Also, thanks to @fireball for the nifty tailgate cover for Rhea's 100. We can now make sushi in the woods.

View attachment 2123881
I’d say you need that shim... it’s in the FSM and it sets the bearing preload...
Steps 12-16 here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom