Power Steering Pump and Hose Replacement - FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First of all "Thank you for having this write up", I just rebuilt my first one.
Got my kit from CDan (Thanks!!).:cheers:
Second of all, I wanted to add comment when installing the suction port back on, you may have to take out the rubber hose out first, because if not, you're gonna have a hard time putting it back in.:bang::bang:
I didn't realize the first time I put it on, it bent the bottom plate because I tighten the screw with the top part not all the way in. It leaks and sucking air inside the pump and making frothy in the reservoir tank.

I took it out again and sure enough, the o-ring is strip. Put new o-ring, took the rubber hose out, bolt it in. Put the hose back in, bleed the line :steer::steer::steer:, start the car, and it's all happy. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Thanks everyone!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Reactions: RFB
Great write up. It came in very handy today. One minor thing I found that makes it just a little easier reassembling is to get the banjo bolt started on the pump before putting the pump back on the studs and bolting it in.
Also a bit of warning be careful not to clamp down too hard on the drive gear when you pull it off and put it back on. You could end up with a pronounced ticking sound.....

Last edited:
Great write up. It came in very handy today. One minor thing I found that makes it just a little easier reassembling is to get the banjo bolt started on the pump before putting the pump back on the studs and bolting it in.

so, done yet?

so, done yet?

I just finished. The rebuilt pump didn't work out so I ended up using a new one.
We should get together and take apart both pumps to see where the failures happened. I am unable to see were the seal broke but it must have, being that I ended up with a bunch of ATF in the engine. I think it is funny that with all of that ATF that leaked into the engine that it ran like a champ and not a bit of smoke.

Anyone used the Gates version of high pressure line and return?

FullPageLoader

Rockauto has it for $47. How does that price compare to OEM?

Or is this a part you should stay with OEM?

i'm using gates for the pressure line. no real issues outside of the clamps don't snug as well. add some tape or something around the line.

I used OEM on my truck and then tried a NAP one on my daughters truck ($47). Both are holding up fine after a couple of years with no issues. I generally go OEM, but the High pressure hose is a place to consider other sources.

Hmmm interesting.

I gave the napa hose a shot too and it blew in a matter of weeks. The quality difference was night and day to me vs. OEM. I ended up going OEM and IMHO i think this is a part that you should stay OEM.

I replaced my pump today and have a couple of comments to add to this FAQ.

1. On my truck (95 model) the pressure port fitting is a 24mm, not 13/16. Both old and new pumps were the same size. The only 24mm open end I had was too long to fit in the confined space, so I disconnected the high pressure hose at the steering box and took it off the pump after removing the pump from the truck.

2. I removed both mounting bolts from under the rig. Since I currently have the large filter, it was easier and I didn't have to remove the filter.

Great post/thread! I just rebuilt my pump and this thread was also really helpful. A few quick thoughts:

• The thread for rebuilding the pump is here, incase other folks don't find it via search (its not in the 80 series forum, but it is linked in the faq)
  • The low pressure lines are 1 section 16mm (5/8-ish) from res to pump, and 2 sections 10mm (3/8-ish) from pump to cooler, and cooler to res. I could not find anyone that sold bulk metric hose, so ended up using napa hose for the larger section and carquest hose for the smaller stuff. No problems with fitment.
  • I ended up using the napa high pressure hose, which has a 16mm fitting on one end, instead of the 17mm from toyota. You get what you pay for rings true, especially since my HF flare wrench set does not include a 16mm size.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned here, but you can see at the beginning and end of my engine overhaul thread that if you do not properly seat the gear back down onto the pump, it will tick!! You will then have to rebuild your entire motor to figure out that the gear is just .003 inches too high.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned here, but you can see at the beginning and end of my engine overhaul thread that if you do not properly seat the gear back down onto the pump, it will tick!! You will then have to rebuild your entire motor to figure out that the gear is just .003 inches too high.

Indeed! Because of your thread, I took a before and after pic of my pump to compare the height of the gear, just to make sure! Hopefully I got it back on there correctly :hmm:

DSCF3525.JPG

Cut Hose

So I started getting a drip spot under the truck ('91 FJ80) and was afraid it was oil. So I crawled under today, pulled the skid plate, and found that some less-than-optimal belts (now replaced) had cut into the hose with the arrow below (hawt MS Paint, I know). Is this the high pressure return? Problem is that the only part I've been able to find is the "TUBE ASSY, PRESSURE FEED", which runs ~$440. :eek: Does anyone have a part number (or recommendations) for just that hose, and not the entire assembly? :cheers:
PSHose.jpg

Had that low pressure hose blow out on me up on Nellie creek ( Uncompaghre TH) near Lake City,CO just last month. I was able to get to Gunnison using a 3/8 fuel injection hose as a band-aid. Once there, I bought 3/8 transmission cooler hose line from Carquest made by Gates that is rated to 400 psi. Wheeled for 2 more weeks in the mountains and got it back to Texas without any more issues. I am going to replace the rest of the transmission cooler hose and low pressure power steering hose with the same thing. For good measure I am going to wrap the new hose in plastic to protect it from chaffing.

Last time I tried to get those low pressure hoses for the power steering from Mr. T, I think you had to buy the entire power steering cooling system (hard line and Rubber hoses) as a unit. BIG $$$$. Mr. T doesn't sell the individual pieces.

3 feet cost me $11. The only thing I need now is hose clamps that are NOT the radiator type that cut into the rubber over time. The Gates hose is thinner and different clamps must be found. I am looking for constant tension clamps or something like them that fit around the new hose diameter.

Many people here have posted up about changing out their HIGH pressure hose with one from NAPA. I bought one in Gunnison for about $60 just in case. I haven't found too many posts from other Mudders having problems with the cheaper hose.

The newer cruisers are different in that the HIGH pressure hose from the pump goes straight to the steering gear so there is only one hose to replace for the high side. From your picture, there looks like two high pressure rubber hoses.

Last edited:
Jackal, Yes, that is the high pressure side, and I bought mine from Rock auto made by gates. Under $50 bucks if I recall correctly. I typically go OEM, but could not justify that.

Cheers,

i replaced my high pressure line with the carquest one here in gunnison, has been fine and replaced thelows with the gates tranny line from carquest also has held up just fine, and been using regular hose clamps too

Take your old hose to a hose repair shop for heavy equipment. Any Cat equipment shop should have a name or two for you to call.

Bueno. Once again, Mud comes through. Thanks a bunch, gentlemen.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom