Power Steering Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a '75 FJ40 a little over a year ago (Finally!) :D. It has a Saginaw power steering conversion that was done by a PO to the PO, supposedly years ago by a shop in Portland, OR area. Don't know any details beyond that, but the steering has a lot of play now. R/H rod end to the pitman arm is shot, so i figure I start with replacing all the rod ends, and go from there if it needs more work. I'm having a little trouble identifying what I have here to get the replacement parts, my rod ends are not really resembling any 40 series kits I've come across, more like maybe a combo of 40 and 60 series? Also noted the angle of the steering box is steeper than I've seen in photos of other conversions. Thought I'd post photos and see if anyone can help identify, or just offer advice in general on how to proceed. Thanks!

IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG

the steering arms are on the wrong side, left is right and right is left.
looks like 60 series knuckles with 60 tie rod ends and an adaptor piece to go from 60 relay rod to Chevy? tie rod at the steering box.

that entire setup should be redone properly.

Knuckle arms definitely backwards. Wouldn’t be surprised if there were tire interference issues with the arms in their correct positions.

Also, it looks like, from the last photo, the trajectory for the main steering rod is right into the pitman arm on full compression (going downhill)

As @3_puppies said, time for do-overs.

Do not drive this.

I don't see any welding of the box mount to the frame, is it welded on or just using the bolts? Need better pics.

I would remove the box and remount it with a current mounting plate design from a vendor here.

Hmmm... nothing like having your suspicions of bad news confirmed. No welding of the mounting plate to the frame, I've attached a few more photos. Looks like a gusset was installed in the frame rail to make a tube and the mounting plate is on a U-bracket that nests over the frame, and then through-bolted. Either way, looks like I'm in for my first project. Thanks for the feedback! Any recommendations for a kit or link to a standout thread for an install would be appreciated

IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG

how many bolts are holding the box to the frame?

the crossmember probably needs to be sleeved or reinforced

I hope a shop didn't do this work

I'm in for my first project
Lots of good info to help you. Starting with the FAQs.

Pics of 4x4 Labs kit installed. I personally like this kit.

How well does it drive with anti-ackermann?? Your steering arms are on the wrong sides. Like the others said time for some serious revisions.

How well does it drive with anti-ackermann?? Your steering arms are on the wrong sides. Like the others said time for some serious revisions.
Yeah, got that. It's so obvious now, but to the untrained eye if you don't know what to look for.... It actually doesn't seem terrible aside from the play in the steering, I initially thought my big issue was the TREs, but as you and other have said, time for serious revision. Thanks for the input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom