Post LCDC 8 Meetup - Ouray Roll Call (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm planning to leave Breckenridge sometime Friday (July 29th) morning and head to Ouray. I know a number of other LCDC folks are thinking of doing the same so instead of clogging up the LCDC thread... let's coordinate here.

UPDATE: Tentative Plan as of July 6, 2022

• Friday July 29th - Leave Breckenridge around 9am toward Lake City, Co.; Lunch and fuel in Lake City then take Engineer Pass (North Section of Alpine Loop) to Mineral Creek and on to Ouray. Plan to arrive in Ouray in the evening.
  • Saturday July 30th - Leave Ouray for Imogene Pass around 8am; Lunch in Telluride; Ophir Pass back to Ouray arriving late afternoon to early evening.
  • Sunday July 31st - Head Home; Possibly run Corkscrew Gulch to Hurricane Pass to California Gulch to Alpine Loop/Silverton on the way.

Anyway, that's all I have in mind. Open to suggestion and hanging out.

Last edited:
I'm planning to leave Breckenridge sometime Friday (July 29th) morning and head to Ouray. I know a number of other LCDC folks are thinking of doing the same so instead of clogging up the LCDC thread... let's coordinate here.

My tentative plan is to arrive in Ouray, grab some lunch and then hit a trail Friday afternoon/evening. I'll be staying at the Abram Inn. Saturday, I'll be doing trails all day. Open to whatever other folks want to do, otherwise I'll probably explore various Alpine Loop area trails until I get tired or lost.

Sunday I'll be headed home to Scottsdale, but might get up early and do Imogene Pass on the way.

Anyway, that's all I have in mind. Open to suggestion and hanging out.
I’m in. Was planning on leaving sometime Friday morning too. Staying at KOA in Ouray. Need to head back to KC Sunday. Open for anything trail wise. Would like to do Imogene if possible S I missed that last year. Had thought about Doing half the Alpine loop on Sunday as that gets us pointed in the right direction home (I think, need to look at a map).

We will be in the Ouray area around this time so if it works out we’d enjoy meeting up. We should be camping off Los Pinos-Cebolla Pass area.

We are leaving Georgia on the 21st for a 3 week trip and plan on doing as much dirt as possible.

We're wide open after LCDC and would be interested in joining in. Hopefully we can find a spot to pitch a tent in the area. Plans are pretty fluid at this point.

We're wide open after LCDC and would be interested in joining in. Hopefully we can find a spot to pitch a tent in the area. Plans are pretty fluid at this point.
I have a tent site at the KOA in Ouray. I am going to change that to a sleeping cabin ( no bathroom) as I will now have our dog and I don’t want to sleep in a tent with him yet. I’ll cancel my tent site tomorrow when I can call them. It appeared they had a few tent sites open.

Imogene and Black Bear look interesting.

Jealous east coaster wishing you boys a fun run. Get lots of pics.

I'm currently thinking maybe adding Engineer Pass as the route to Ouray from Lake City would make sense coming from Breck. It a 20 mile trail but comprises half half of the Alpine Loop. My research suggests it could be an 8 - 9 hour day. @kcjaz could do Cinnamon Pass (the other half of Alpine Loop) on their way out of town, and be able to check the whole loop off their list.

Basically 3 hours from Breckenridge to the trail head in Lake City and OnX Off-road says 3 hours on Engineer Pass (Difficulty: 4 of 10) to Mineral Creek (Difficulty: 5 of 10) and 1.5 hours to Ouray. Probably 5+ hours with stops and lunch. I've done what would be the last half of Mineral Creek (for us) coming the other direction on the way to Poughkeepsie Gulch and its pretty scenic. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 6.51.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 7.01.01 AM.png

Last edited:
I'm currently thinking maybe turning Friday into a LONG day and adding Engineer Pass as the route to Ouray from Lake City would make sense. It a long trail but comprises over half of the Alpine Loop. Someone more experience in the area may be able to comment on how doable it would be coming from Breckenridge, but my research suggests it could be an 8 - 10 hour day. @kcjaz could do Cinnamon Pass (the other half of Alpine Loop) on their way out of town, and be able to check the whole loop off their list.

Basically 3 hours from Breckenridge to the trail head in Lake City and I've seen some estimates of 4 hours on Engineer Pass to Ouray. Probably 5 + hours with stops and lunch. Thoughts?

View attachment 3051480

View attachment 3051489
I like it. The day will be long no matter what we do if it includes a trail in the afternoon as it will take 4 to 5 hours just to get to Ouray on pavement.

Imogene and Black Bear look interesting.
I believe it is possible to do Black Bear to Telluride and Imogene backwards back to Ouray. Long day and afternoon rain is always a potential thing. I did Black bear last year as it seemed to be a "must do" and it is, at least once. Its not something I feel the need to do over again but I'm not opposed either.

I like it. The day will be long no matter what we do if it includes a trail in the afternoon as it will take 4 to 5 hours just to get to Ouray on pavement.

Cool. I've updated the post to reflect more research.

I believe it is possible to do Black Bear to Telluride and Imogene backwards back to Ouray. Long day and afternoon rain is always a potential thing. I did Black bear last year as it seemed to be a "must do" and it is, at least once. Its not something I feel the need to do over again but I'm not opposed either.

Same, same, same. Did it last year, loved it, don't NEED to do it again. Could do Ophir Pass/South Fork Ilium Road/Imogene Pass... or the reverse... as a loop on Saturday?

Last edited:
If anyone is staying at the KOA in Ouray, make sure you get an email confirmation of your reservation. I called to cancel my tent site reservation that I made a day or two after LCDC location was announced and they didn't have a record of the reservation. Not an issue as I was canceling anyway but that would have disappointing getting there late in the day Friday and then having to scramble.

The entire Alpine Loop is a must do for everyone at some point. Jealous I won't be there to run it with y'all. Post up pics in the AAR.

Awesome! I booked at the Ouray KOA. Thanks for organizing this.

Really starting to get stoked for this little post LCDC trip. So who all is planning to join us? Sounds like @CharlieS , @kcjaz and @Artie so far?

Really starting to get stoked for this little post LCDC trip. So who all is planning to join us? Sounds like @CharlieS , @kcjaz and @Artie so far?
We are going to do our best to make it. We are leaving GA early Thursday and should make CO by Saturday. We got kids in car seats so this may change drastically.

Idk if we can make the early morning Saturday but I’ll keep the thread posted.

We are going to do our best to make it. We are leaving GA early Thursday and should make CO by Saturday. We got kids in car seats so this may change drastically.

Idk if we can make the early morning Saturday but I’ll keep the thread posted.

No pressure as this is just a loosely assembled set of options for folks to jump into if they like. Also, I would imagine Saturday start time we will be decided on Friday over the radio as we near Ouray. I could see that time moving later based on how people are feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom