200 series pre-LCDC Moab and Ouray trip (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In an attempt to avoid completely hijacking the LCDC 9 thread, I'm starting this new thread for anyone who might be interested in an adventure before the LCDC.

My 15 year old son, Gabe, and I are going to spend the first 2 weeks of July doing some overlanding, exploration, and off-roading. Those of you who have followed me as a leader probably remember him as our paparazzi - Gabe shoots most of the LCDC photos I post.

Our plan right now is to get to Moab on Sunday, July 2 and spend several days there, then run Rimrocker from Moab to Montrose and spend a few days in Ouray/Telluride before we head over to the LCDC. Tentatively this is my plan. I'm looking for 2 things here: (1) has anyone done Rimrocker and/or The Maze and can provide some feedback about whether we should be spending more (or less) time in those areas? and (2) anyone interested in joining us, especially in The Maze? (looks like there are plenty of permits available for the hot and schweaty season).

Sun 7/2: Arrive. Camp for the night
Mon 7/3: Top of the World, Onion Creek, Fins, Hells, whatever floats our boats
Tue 7/4: Head to the Maze
Wed 7/5: (the Maze)
Thu 7/6: (the Maze)
Fri 7/7: Head back to Moab. Find a shower and a hot meal. Leave for Rimrocker
Sat 7/8: (Rimrocker)
Sun 7/9: Arrive in Montrose, drive down to Ouray and find a camp spot
Mon 7/10: (Ouray trails)
Tue 7/11: (Ouray trails)
Wed 7/12: Pack it in and head to Ft Collins

If I should plan to spend more time in The Maze then I might forgo a day of Ouray, try to do Rimrocker with just one overnight, or leave on Monday and maybe just try to squeeze in only TOTW in Moab when we get back. If I can't find anyone else to do the Maze with us, then I will probably skip it as it's remote enough that I don't want to do it alone in July.

(Tagging @tincan45, @indycole, @TheGrrrrr, and @Markuson as I've spoken to each of them about potentially joining us at various times on this trip).

Well I'm out. Can't leave until Monday. Daughter just picked up a swim meet in Joplin the 6th-8th. See you guys in Ft. Collins!

I'm still planning to join from Moab through Ouray. I'm trying to figure out if I can do The Maze, but to be honest The Maze in July does not sound like a good time in terms of conditions. The heat and risk of breaking something combine to increase the risk level substantially. That said, here is a good video about The Maze that is making me really want to make it work.

embed - https://www.nps.gov/media/video/embed.htm?id=FD24ACED-AF8D-C470-3F8676BFCFAD0858

Last edited:
I'm still planning to join from Moab through Ouray. I'm trying to figure out if I can do The Maze, but to be honest The Maze in July does not sound like a good time in terms of conditions. The heat and risk of breaking something combine to increase the risk level substantially. That said, here is a good video about The Maze that is making me really want to make it work.

embed - https://www.nps.gov/media/video/embed.htm?id=FD24ACED-AF8D-C470-3F8676BFCFAD0858
Hey that’s what A/C in the truck is for!

I’ve been to Moab in early August twice. 100F during the day is hot, but we did a ton of driving and never had any issues with the truck staying cool. One of those trips we did White Rim, which is 100 miles. It’s hot but it’s not Death Valley hot. At night it gets into the upper 60s, and if you get a quick thunderstorm it’s really nice.

My $0.02 is let’s do it, maybe with an extra truck if someone else wants to go. The Maze is considered a bucket list trip for many.

I’m not too concerned about breaking something serious in my truck. Maybe I should be, but that’s why to have multiple trucks - someone else can get you out. If I broke something serious I’d pony up for the $1500 tow and eat ramen for the next month.

The Maze / Canyonlands Overland Routes - https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/amp/the-maze-district-adventure-route

Hey that’s what A/C in the truck is for!

I’ve been to Moab in early August twice. 100F during the day is hot, but we did a ton of driving and never had any issues with the truck staying cool. One of those trips we did White Rim, which is 100 miles. It’s hot but it’s not Death Valley hot. At night it gets into the upper 60s, and if you get a quick thunderstorm it’s really nice.

My $0.02 is let’s do it, maybe with an extra truck if someone else wants to go. The Maze is considered a bucket list trip for many.

I’m not too concerned about breaking something serious in my truck. Maybe I should be, but that’s why to have multiple trucks - someone else can get you out. If I broke something serious I’d pony up for the $1500 tow and eat ramen for the next month.

The Maze / Canyonlands Overland Routes - https://www.overlandtrailguides.com/amp/the-maze-district-adventure-route

Ok, why not. I just took off work the 4th through the 12th and it looks like the intersection of Utah-95 and Flint Trail Rd is about 7 hours drive from my house, so I could get up to that area and meet you on the afternoon/evening of the 4th.

Ok, why not. I just took off work the 4th through the 12th and it looks like the intersection of Utah-95 and Flint Trail Rd is about 7 hours drive from my house, so I could get up to that area and meet you on the afternoon/evening of the 4th.
Cool I’ll PM you about details meeting up and to formulate a plan.

Park service permits allow up to 3 trucks on a permit so if anyone else wants to join us let me know. Presumably worse case someone can register for a second permit as there seem to be a few campsites near each other at each location.

This might align as the kids and I will be coming back from a 2 week trip National Park exploring and will be coming back near Moab. July 2-3 is what I would target to join in on the fun. Small chance but possible so following.

I did the Maze ~5 years ago with 2 fellow Taco owners when I was rolling in one too. Def a bucket list. We did not run into many people back there, it is true, you are seriously remote. I will say we saw an older guy in his 70's and stock 4runner just roll through obstacles like they were nothing. He definitely had done the trails several times prior as his confidence was unreal. Extra gas and water are some requirements back there in the Maze.

This might align as the kids and I will be coming back from a 2 week trip National Park exploring and will be coming back near Moab. July 2-3 is what I would target to join in on the fun. Small chance but possible so following.

I did the Maze ~5 years ago with 2 fellow Taco owners when I was rolling in one too. Def a bucket list. We did not run into many people back there, it is true, you are seriously remote. I will say we saw an older guy in his 70's and stock 4runner just roll through obstacles like they were nothing. He definitely had done the trails several times prior as his confidence was unreal. Extra gas and water are some requirements back there in the Maze.
That would be good timing, I’m hoping to run Top of the World on 7/3

I may be able to join if you are interested (I didn't see my name above though we have been discussing) and if I am able to get away on July 3. If not, the earliest would be July 4 which sounds like too late?

Do you have Canyonlands permits yet? What campsites? I heard Dollhouse is fantastic.

I second the statements above. Maze is very remote: planning, fuel and extra water is very important.

I may be able to join if you are interested (I didn't see my name above though we have been discussing) and if I am able to get away on July 3. If not, the earliest would be July 4 which sounds like too late?

Do you have Canyonlands permits yet? What campsites? I heard Dollhouse is fantastic.

I second the statements above. Maze is very remote: planning, fuel and extra water is very important.
No permits yet, I need to figure out the route and where we’d want to camp each night

Sounds like meeting up the evening of 7/4 might be the plan, I’ll PM you

We will be headed up to Clear Lake on July 10 to celebrate our 9 yr wedding anniversary :) (9? hmm...I think it's 9...) Camping at 4J's.

It looks like we're tied up for LCDC, but I will try to meet up with the group in Moab. Something to keep in mind for Rimrocker is snow which has still kept many high elevation trails closed. I imagine it should be clear by then, but some trails may still be closed for mud. Before Cruise Moab @JohnJB @TheGrrrrr @Gregtoy144 and I tried to do a trail in western Colorado that by all indications should have been open, but they had locked the gates for trail conditions aka serious snow and mud.

Funny thing is, one year ago exactly it was hot dry and feeling very much like middle of summer when I ran it. Here is a video of a stream crossing I'll bet is pretty high right now:

It looks like we're tied up for LCDC, but I will try to meet up with the group in Moab. Something to keep in mind for Rimrocker is snow which has still kept many high elevation trails closed. I imagine it should be clear by then, but some trails may still be closed for mud. Before Cruise Moab @JohnJB @TheGrrrrr @Gregtoy144 and I tried to do a trail in western Colorado that by all indications should have been open, but they had locked the gates for trail conditions aka serious snow and mud.

Funny thing is, one year ago exactly it was hot dry and feeling very much like middle of summer when I ran it. Here is a video of a stream crossing I'll bet is pretty high right now:

I’m playing it all by ear, so if snow closes Rimrocker we’ll just change up the plans, no biggie.

Funtreks says plan to spend 2-3 days in The Maze. Anyone else done it before and have recommendations on building an agenda, campsites, etc?

I wish our trip out there were a few weeks earlier so that we could join, looks like a good time.

For those of you who are TLCA members, Matt, Eric, and I put together a write-up of the Canyonlands Maze portion of our trip which made the most recent Toyota Trails magazine. Received my copy in the mail yesterday.

1710854146084.png

Posting a few photos which didn't get used in the TT mag.

1710854302138.png

1710854383451.png

1710854489130.png

1710854513740.png

1710854636010.png

For those curious, this was our route. It would have been less mileage and faster to do the Doll House first, but since that was the most challenging trail we wanted to do that last to cap off the epic trip. Anyone doing this in the future in a 200 don't even think about doing this trip without at least an extra 10 gallons of fuel, and TBH you should really have 15 gallons. It's easy to manage 6-7mpg for 200 miles of this, with many stretches getting closer to 5.

1710854935126.png

Last series of pics, I promise.

1710855798692.png

1710855821048.png

1710855842361.png

1710855859138.png

1710855885108.png

As trails go I don't think anything was above a 6 (which was really just the Doll House, otherwise I'd rate them as a 5), but they were still a solid challenge, especially knowing we were absolutely on our own to choose lines and to perform any recovery required if things went sideways.

Incidentally, @sdnative was relaxed and a total pro. While @TheGrrrrr and I were armored up and on 34s, Eric did everything in an almost stock truck, save for a set of ARB skids, a basic OME Nitro 2" lift, and I believe he was on 33s. No bumpers, no lockers, no sliders, no winch. Proof that the right lines make a huge difference... unlike yours truly who had a chance to test out his ASFIR transfer case skid. (Which BTW did its job and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend as cost effective protection for those overlanding but not trying to beat the holy hell out of your rig)

1710856283189.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom